Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tenaka’s GuerillaSin Guide version 1.0

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by tenaka, Apr 17, 2005.

1. tenaka

tenaka IncGamers Member

I've been talking about writing this for a while and now I've finally taking the time to do it. Its the first one I've written and even though its not the most unique thing you'll ever see its definitly a different way to play this char than most everyone else does.

I Intro
    II Stats
    III Skills
    IV Equipment
    V Tactics
    VI Final Thoughts

I Intro

What is a GuerillaSin and why should I play one?
    A GuerillaSin uses guerilla warfare tactics to hit the enemy on multiple fronts at the same time, keeping them off-balanced and basically dead. At first glance it looks like a similar skill setup to a trapper with odd equipment choices. You will basically use a combination of Blade Fury and Lightning Sentry. Where it really differentiates itself is in play style (explained in section V). Note that this char will not be the fastest Baal runner nor the best MFer. What it will be is fun to play and able to become a Guardian untwinked, and is a great party char for MP play. This guide is specifically written with untwinked play in mind so your mileage may vary depending on what you find and if you twink.

II Stats

Stength: Enough for your equipment, which generally means enough for whichever weapon you choose. This can range anywhere from about 75-125. This build does not tank and does not need the heavier armors.

Dexterity Either enough for your weapon or enough for good blocking if you use a shield. This can be in the 75 range for dual claw or close to 200 to get a shields blocking up at high levels. You will have AR problems, but dex is not the best way to solve them for any char.

Vitality Everything you can spare. You definitely want your life over 1000 in hell. If you are playing untwinked you can pause your stat placement there and hold some spare points in case you come across a great weapon you don’t have the str for but once your main weapon is decided all spare points go here.

Energy None. Zip. Zero. Nada. In case I’m not being clear, any point placed in energy is a waste and you owe me a beer each time you place one in it. Prior to level 60ish an untwinked GuerillaSin will constantly run out of mana but only to a slight degree and blue potions will more than carry you along.

III Skills

Blade Fury: 1 point
    Extra points add damage that is negligible past normal difficulty and increase the mana cost far too much. They actually make this skill worse rather than better. You will do half your killing with this skill

Lightning Sentry: 20 points
    This will be your second main killing skill, and with a maxed synergy it does some nice damage.

Death Sentry: 20 points
    This is mainly maxed as a synergy to Lightning Sentry but it is also useful for crowd control which is why it is maxed rather than other synergies.

Traps Prereqs: 4 points
    This covers one point each in Fire Blast, Blade Sentinel, Shock Web and Charged Bolt Sentry

Shadow Master: 17+ after +skills
    Shadow master is chosen over Shadow Warrior for a few reasons. First, BF is one of the skills neither will use so you can not ‘control’ her actions by keeping that skill active. Second she is just plain stronger. Third, I’ve never been a fan of the control one has over a Shadow Warrior. Strong is strong and damage is damage. 99% of the time I don’t care what kind of damage my shadow is doing as long as she keeps doing it. At slvl 17 she has all of her equipment so anything past that is gravy.

Weapons Block: 1 prereq or 1+
    Personally I think weapons block owns shield block because it can block more things and doesn’t require a hundred extra dex points. If you are going with a weapon and shield then this is a prereq for your shadow. If you are going dual claw then you want at least 9 points after +skills, After 9, 49% blocking, diminishing returns set in. Also note that this is automatic skill, not casted so +skills on a switch for prebuffing don’t help.

Fade: 1+
    How many points you want depends on how much resists you need. Since it also adds 1% PDR don’t worry about going overkill because it will still be useful.

Claw Mastery: 1+
    If you aren’t going dual claw then this is just a prereq. Even if you are going dual claw you may only want one point here. Maxed Claw Mastery is one way to solve the AR problems this char has, but that can also be solved with EQ so it is not a necessity.

Cloak of Shadows: 1+
    This is one of the best one point wonders of the game because its main excellence is In the field of blindness, but extra points aren’t wasted. Its -% enemy defense goes up by 3% for each point but remember that CM adds 10% to your AR for claw wielding GuerillaSins. Unfortunately the duration goes up as well and when unaffected monsters start coming in from off the screen you will want to be able to recast it.

At this point you have spent anywhere from 61 to 90 points so where do the rest of those points go?
    Mind Blast is a favorite crowd control for a lot of people, but personally I don’t use it.
    Venom, especially when combined with other poison sources, can be a nice supplement to your BF damage.
    Trap Synergies are never wasted. Either a few fire blast for extra shots or one of the lightning skills for more lightning damage.

IV Equipment

The eternal question for anyone using BF is to claw or not to claw. A dual claw GuerillaSin has more +skills, spends fewer stat points on str and dex requirements and has an easier time getting AR. A weapon and shield GuerillaSin spends fewer skill points, has more options for Uniques and Runewords, and the potential[/] for more damage. In the end both ways can work well, but I prefer dual claw for two reasons. First, I like to use class specifics on classes and second it isn’t hard to gamble a decent claw.

The AR problem.
    BF does not add AR so you need to find a way to hit monsters via eq or you will have problems in Hell (in normal and NM you can ignore this problem and survive fine). AR does not show on your char screen for the BF attack but it does use AR. Switch to normal attack and hover over it to see the inaccurate hit% the game wants to give you. Remember, when the game calculates this it is not taking level into account so most of the time your chance to hit is worse. The ways to solve this via skills have already been discussed, but they are not 100% of the solution. At the very least a dual claw GuerillaSin with maxed Claw Mastery will need to get a decent amount of +AR from eq and charms. Other options include ITD, which does not work on everything and -% Target D. Personally I like the combo of +AR and -% Target D because it works on everything.

After all this is decided, and you can wait to decide until you are ready to enter Hell if you want, then you are really just looking for some basic attributes on your eq.
    Crushing Blow: Any char using physical damage likes this, and this build shines more and more the more you can find.
    Resists: Duh
    Life: See resists
    Mana: Not a lot, but a few hundred mana total would be very nice.
    +Skills: On your weapon switch I like to get as much +shadows/Shadow Master as possible for casting her. An alternate option is as many +traps as possible and switch for every trap cast. As you will see in the Tactics section though, that will be a lot of switching so be prepared for it.
    Leech: Enough mana leech to get back the cost of BF and any life leech that doesn’t prevent you from getting other, more useful, affixes.

Other nice things to have are:
    Open Wounds: You can spray a pack of monsters and let this work them while you pick them off one by one.
    Elemental Damage: You are already doing at least two types of damage but a third (and more in general) is always helpful. Yes the ¾ damage of BF does apply to all damage sources. Cold damage is the best for its slowing affects.
    PDR/_Damage: Not dying goes a long way towards helping you kill faster. Dead characters are even slower killers than Psychic Hammer Sins
    Slow: Slow monsters are slow.
    Chance to cast Amp Damage on striking: Monsters who take more damage, take more damage.

Avoid knockback. BF needs to hit many times, and can do so in a short time, but KB can push things off the screen before they die.

V Tactics

I’ve just realized that I did not leave a section in my guide for mercs and I don’t think there’s enough to say to justify a whole section so I am going to pretend choosing a merc is a tactic. If you choose to disagree with me on this then I will learn to fly, rent a plane, fly over your town and rain raisins on it.

If you want, you can choose a cold rogue or any of the act III mercs for style and still beat Hell but the most useful choices are act IIs. A Blessed Aim merc can be your AR solution but I don’t like to rely on a merc THAT much as they tend to be stupid and die. A Might merc is nice and will help you kill faster, but I still like the old standard Holy Freeze merc. The way this build attacks multiple things at once it is just immensely helpful to slow things down.

As you move along and see a group of monsters the GuerillaSin does the following:
    Cast Cloak of Shadows to keep them off you
    Cast LS behind and/or next to them. They will eventually find you and come towards you, and this makes a nice crossfire.
    Spray BF across them. This is done by not actually targeting one so you can wave your spray of death back and forth.If you have a lot of poison or OW try to make sure they are all affected.
    Concentrate BF on each monster until a few are dead.
    Toss in a DS or two.
    BF until the rest die.

Seek, confuse, disarm, kill.

This simple pattern is both very effective and fairly quick. Aside from the first of a group each new monster you fight will be half dead and less dangerous by the time you want to concentrate on it.

PIs can be handled by be a combination of LS, SM and DS (possibly and venom)
    LIs can be handled by BF with CB
    Bosses can eventually be handled by LS but this is where as much CB as you can muster shines. A well equipped GuerillaSin can run Meph if you really want to but it won’t be the best choice.

VI Final Thoughts

You can run normal and NM at /players 8 without too many problems or slowdown. In hell even a fully twinked GuerillaSin will probably be slow past /players 4.

Remember boys and girls, you want to be constantly hitting monsters with both traps and BF. The damage from neither with this skill/eq setup looks like enough on its own but the combination hit is lethal. Mainly though this is just a fun way to play.
    Have fun.
    Kill.
    Don’t die.

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Very interesting...I'm going with a "normal" trapper first but after that I might come back and do one of these. Maybe put a little more info in the equipment section...I know this is a guide for untwinked, but maybe just set up the ideal setup so people have some concrete examples to go after. Maybe some thoughts on difficult areas/monsters that this assasin has difficulty in tackling.

Nice guide but I really don't understand what a gorilla has to do with an assasin?? I guess some of the claws resemble bananas but other than that I don't see the connection.

3. tenaka

tenaka IncGamers Member

Guerilla refers to guerilla warfare not the animal.

As for eq, yes I could probably add more to that section but I would never put an ideal setup in it. Personally I think every guide would be better off with that ripped out. Everyone is too item obsessed. Some of the other, nicer, easy to find things could be thrown in. Mine only had 2 uniques, no sets and 1 runeword. The rest were rares and crafts. Thats why I listed mods you want instead.

4. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Come on...give me some credit...I thought it was obvious that I was joking:)

I know a lot of people dislike the "perfect gear" section, but I've met quite a few people on these forums who were confused by the "vague" equipment outlines that were given in guides...It doesn't need to be "get this or you are screwed" more like a concrete example so people know to get something similar. This would primarily be for the noobs...

5. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

Cool guide, but when you say that adding poison charms helps out with venom, you might want to double check that, IIRC a 100pdsc only adds about 2 poison damage or something miniscule

6. tenaka

tenaka IncGamers Member

Heh when I read that part I was thinking english must not be your native language and you weren't familiar with the term :lol:

7. tenaka

tenaka IncGamers Member

Its quite not that bad but it is reduced. Venom fixes the poison length. When you add other sources they keep their damage/second average and the total is reduced to venom's lenght. This actually works out well with BF because of its fixed attack rate. You can focus on a monster, using poison, and still get almost all of the damage instead of losing a lot of it by having it reset by the next hit. You won't reack 40K like other builds can, but then its just an afterthought in this build so you shouldn't expect it to.

8. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

An interesting build. But much like the trapper/kicker you have to choose between weapon/shield or claw/claw that helps traps, vs. equip that helps BF.

I run into this problem too with kicker/trapper because I like to use the ol' +6 shadow pre-buff and so would anyone using venom. Unfortunately you only have 1 weapon switch.

What are your thoughts on this. Also that bit about dex being the best way to AR is gonna get pounced on, so suggest alternatives there.

As for alternative pathways. 20 DC is a very fast physical attack with good AR, it can be supplemented with a little CM. With your CB/OW gear it could make short work of a boss with traps going too.

9. tenaka

tenaka IncGamers Member

I think you get more overall damage and less survivability by going weapon + shield. Claw claw can get nice blocking and you have much more to spend on life that way. Since I play HC this, along with asthetics, is the route I took.

Note: I said dex is NOT the best way to get AR.

DC is an interesting alternative. I was playing this as a ranged char, and I haven't played the MA tree much, I have trouble keeping MA sins alive so I didn't even look at it.

10. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

You read my mind. I didn't say it cause it's out there (C-beat's guide) BF goes pretty well with Dtalon, this has been tested. Dtalon is great against bosses, especially with traps. In HC, though I don't know....I get a little too agressive with this skill at times.

11. Quickdeath

Quickdeath IncGamers Member

I enjoyed this guide and may indeed find time to play this character. Thanks for writing it. Well done!

I must admit, though, there is a bit of blurring between the Ninja, Shadow Assassin, Furysin and the Guerillasin.

One other OT question Tenaka, and forgive me for asking: Are you a female and is that a picture of you? Or are you a guy and is that a picture of what you are looking for? It doesn't really matter, the community is from around the world and this is just a virtual place. But while I have no trouble believing that Farting Bob is indeed an Egg with Eyes, I always have trouble believing in you.

12. tenaka

tenaka IncGamers Member

Thanks. Yes, I agree that those four builds are similar. Part of my motivation for writing this is that most of the time I gove assassin advice people disagree and say such and such is a better way. This guide describes where I have been coming from with that advice. Also I've always wanted to write a guide and all the other builds I know well enough to write one for already have guides. I plan to take the feedback I have gotten (and hopefully more) and revise it with more information. I already have some ideas of things I want to add to the skills and equipment sections. To be honest, while I've been thinking this over in my mind for months I physically wrote it in about 15 minutes so I know it could use work.

Alas no, if I were a woman who looked like my tar men would have given me enough money to retire on by now. I'm a guy and she is just a picture I noticed years ago when I first joined and people were having a 'sexy avatar' contest. I never changed it, I like being laz...err consistant.

13. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Interesting build, however, I feel as though it is lacking quite a bit in content, in particular in the equipment section. I know you listed priorities, but for people like me, I prefer a range of options for my character.

Also, what about a section on the Ancients, Baal or other difficult areas?

crg