Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ten Years of Obsession: Open Letters to Diablo 2

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Flux, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Ten Years of Obsession: Open Letters to Diablo 2

Spurred by this G4TV open letter to Diablo 2, I thought it might be fun for the rest of us to post open letters to the game as well.

If you're like most of the people in these forums, Diablo 2 has been a major part of your life for many years. Can you boil down your thoughts into a few paragraphs about what your Diablo 2 experience has meant, and share them with the group?

2. Flux

Flux Administrator

Re: Ten Years of Obsession: Open Letters to Diablo 2

Diablo 1 was the first "real" computer game I ever played. I'd played lots of smaller games before it, back in those floppy disk days, but didn't have a computer that could handle a larger title. When I finally upgraded from the antique 8086 IBM I used for school papers and Tetris clones, the majestic and still-memorable Diablo 1 demo came to me via a PC Gamer magazine CD-ROM, and I was so hooked. It was like the Gauntlet I'd played so many hours of in arcades, but.... so much better, bigger, etc. I'd tasted the item slot machine, and I was hooked.

I think I must have heard of Diablo 2 very shortly after it was announced, probably via this site. (Well, it wasn't anything like this current site, but it was a site run by Elly and Rush about D1/Hellfire, that gradually evolved into Diabloii.net, and now Diii.net.) I didn't even know Blizzard was making a sequel, but I was obsessed from that first amazing cinematic, with the glowing-eyes, mouth-sewn-shut Dark Wanderer in the back of the wagon, with the soulstone glowing in the mud.

Sure, nothing in that cinematic ended up having anything to do with the game plot, but I watched it repeatedly and feverishly, and eventually noticed that the transcript Elly had posted was wrong on a few words. So I sent her an email (back when people used email, since no one had thought to write scripts integrating comments into ordinary web pages) with the accurate script, which she posted on the site, and not long after I was regularly contributing to the site, while eagerly anticipating Diablo 2.

I got my first taste of waiting for a game (And waiting. And waiting... it was Blizzard, after all.), my first taste of working on a website, and was eventually lucky enough to see the game at several E3 shows, to play it at Blizzard North, and to meet all the amazingly-friendly and welcoming developers.

Even though they're all long gone, the game remains, on B.net, in my heart, on my hard drive. I've gone years without playing, during the past ten years, but it still calls me back every now and then, and even though new people are making it, the only game I'm really anticipating for the future is Diablo 3. Long live Diablo!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  3. BKC

BKC IncGamers Member

I played a lot of games prior to d2 but ill skip that part and will start with the d2 story!

During 24/7 night shifts (huh yeah i can explain through pm) a collegue of mine put my attention to diablo 2 and its online community. I was playing the game single player for several years back then i am talking mids 2005 then.

During those days i had a blast of levelling something on the internet. Playing with friends made me realise that it is the social aspect of online gaming what makes it so attractive for me. It was my first online game encounter (and many many encounters followed after D2). After the release of LOD it became even worse.

By that time i was the partial clan leader of europe's biggest dutch speaking clan (TLO - The Legendary Ones) i was online for almost every hour of the game! Trading, pvp, pvm we did it all. We had a very active community and it was based on the same rules we have here at diii.net. (no hacks, cheats, bots etc, we had our own DNT list and we lived by those rules!)

Now a few years after my last clan activity (the clan fell apart during the release of wow) i am back online and we (my former clan leader and me) are trying to get some of the guys playing again (for old times sake). I always used these forums as a reference and i am still confused about the indepth knowledge of some of you guys...

Diablo 2 and LoD are part of my life and they always will be! I cannot wait till the release of d3 and the online action there. But till that time you can still catch me online on my account!

Regards,
    BKC

4. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

1999, I was in grade 5. Ooh yeah baby to hearken back to the olden days of yore, when simple fractions and Harry Potter was all that was on my young and impressionable mindball. The teacher was giving some random lesson about something I really didn't care about, but he had the Apple G4 computer sitting in the corner, not yet set up.
    During recess he asked my friend and I to help him set up the computer, and even after recess and during the lesson, he was getting us to install "Panzer Commander" onto this computer, and when the install screen came up with the install music blaring, he started to smile.
    After school he came up to me, "hey bro, you ever play Diablo?" He handed me his disc. From then on my life was pretty much over, he had pretty much sealed my fate with that. Up until then, I've been playing Starcraft, Number Munchers, Grandma and Me, Wolfenstein 3D and Mystic Towers. But I wasn't addicted to gaming, nor did I feel the need to play.

Summer of 2000 rolled by, and Diablo 2 had been announced. I spent almost every day at my neighbour's place playing D2 or just watching him play. After pleading with my parents for days, I was playing D2 like a champ, melee Necromancer level 30 in act 3! Yeah!

Summer of 2001, I was in Hong Kong. I knew Lord of Destruction had been out for a few weeks, and I needed to play it. Even though if I bought it then, I wouldn't have a computer to play it on until we got home. Well I still bought the game, and I spent the rest of my free time in Hong Kong reading the manual and looking at all the pretty pictures.

Right as we got home after our ~14 hour plane ride and whatever, I just sat myself in front of the computer, put the CD in, and installed the crap out of the game. First character on the expansion, Druid. Druids therefore always have a special place in my heart. Yeah, my life was over, from then on, I spent most of my time in front of the computer, sure I went outside to do stuff once in a while, and I had to go to school, and sleep, but those things came second to D2.

Grades 7-12, first, second and third year university, Diablo has taken away years of my life. I can't even imagine what my life would be like without being introduced to this game. Maybe I'd have continued with my great performance at school, maybe I would have played more sports, I would have made more friends, gone outdoors to ride my bike, generally becoming a better overall person.
    I would wake up at 6 in the morning, play D2 until leaving for school, get home at around 4-ish, play D2 until around 11 or 12 at night. Rinse, repeat. Unless it was a weekend, then school time = Diablo time. If I hadn't made significant process at the end of the day in terms of trading, character leveling and whatever other in-game thing I was doing, then I wouldn't be able to sleep properly, and I would think all night about what I could have done. Even during school, when it was lunch time, my friends and I would run over to the nearest PC cafe and I would play for an hour, screw eating lunch or whatever, D2 is where it's at.

One of the most memorable moments in my D2 career was in 2002 or 2003, when my brother introduced me to this site. Initially I only used the information pages for items, then I started to read the character guides to get more information. After I realized that trading on the Battle.net channels wasn't enough, I made an account on this site, and who knew that this would become an even bigger time sink for me than D2 would be.
    I spent a lot of my time on this site, no matter what I was doing at the time. Playing D2, I was logged into this site in the background. Doing homework, hell yeah I was here. Watching stuff online, I would pause occasionally to post or read stuff here. This was my home away from home.

D2 stole years of my life, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I still play D2 to this day, though not as much as I used to, but I'll log on at least once a day to play around with my characters.
    I have friends who I played D2 with that won't even look at the game anymore, since they acknowledge the fact that the game is like a drug. It's robbed us of our youth, and if you even pick the game up again, you'll waste at least a month of your time playing it.

I love Diablo 2.

5. kostyanchik

kostyanchik IncGamers Member

delete my post please

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  6. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

I read your story in a Russian accent, and it was badass.

7. kostyanchik

kostyanchik IncGamers Member

delete my post please

8. draakon

draakon IncGamers Member

I jumped upon Diablo-wagon rather late. *searches his notes* Ahah.. here it is - it was 7th November 2003 (Friday), when I installed and fired up Diablo 2 + Expansion for the first time. Patch 1.10 (I think it was released about month before) was the main thing that got me into Diablo. Or rather my friend that went kind of insane when the patch was released (he was Diablo fanatic already in the era of the first game).

...and then it all started. I was hooked and addicted to the game soon and completely. Oh all those countless nights of mf-runs. I remember creating my first CTA, Enigma and other such (imbalanced) items. And also hunting for Ãœber Diablo to get those shiny annihilus'es.

By now I have, of course, also played through the first game more than several times and well.. I have to admit that I love the atmosphere of this even more than successor's. All those summer nights when I played Diablo 1 from dusk till dawn or read those great Diablo novels (have read all of them except "Demonsbane" by Robert B. Marks - yet) in the wilderness. The lore and dark, gothic world has always been one of the most important aspect of Diablo for me. I was also one of those rainbow haters (actually I wasn't so much "against colours" than this cartoonish, WoWish - however you call it - style) when Diablo III was announced and kind of still am (that doesn't mean I'm not drooling for the game, still). But its not point of this topic.

Well.. my heart belongs truly to you, Diablo. *hugs the big red beast*

Why did you do it? Your story was really nice and its cool to read others' memories about Diablo.
    PS! ...and I didn't have any problems understanding your text.

9. Ixxan

Ixxan IncGamers Member

I remember playing Diablo 1 with my father, when I was a kid. We were both huddled together, me on a chair watching my dad play.

"Dad, open that room, looks like there could be some good stuff in there."

"Okay."

"AHHHHH FRESH MEAT!!!!!"

Both of us: "OHH FWEJWWEF*e8f HOLY CRAP"

Everytime we encounter a new monster, listening to the eery music of distorted baby's crying, "What the HELL is THAT THING??!"

"DAD CLICK A PORTAL CLICK A PORTAL GET TO YOUR INVENTORY"

"IM TRYING."

Man. Good times. Of course I played this game constantly. It also became the first video game I ever experienced online. I went to battle.net and despite all the hacks dupers, scammers, pkers and the lot - at the time it had a quaint charm to it, and I was able to make a few friends a delve into legit games for a long time. I remember there's no possible way I could be lagging, I was on 56K!!!

Then Diablo II, man I was obssessed with that game. I was obssessed with necromancer videos. Any small tidbit of information about them I was all over. While Diablo II didn't have the same atmosphere, I sat next to my father as he once again played through Diablo II as a paladin. He finished the game's single player but that was as far as it went with him. And that was fine.

Before long, I was obssessed with dark gold and yellow letters. My lust for magic items could not be sated. It was even worse when the expansion set was released. Multiple level 99 characters. Perfect "1.07" vampgazes. The endless quest for windforce - and the mythos that there's no way an unidentified WF was not duped.

When the asians ran rampant on the US Servers. Open trade with you in trade games, then a resignant: "huk" appears on screen.

I remember the first time I acquired silks of the victor for my necromancer. First silks, then, wormskull. And then begin my quest for Ume's Lament. (All pre x-pack)

Man, dual leech rings were the most sought after items in Diablo II vanilla. if you had a 6/6% life leech ring, you could go to trade and literally the entire channel was your oyster, any item you want was at your fingertips if you were lucky enough to snag one. They became infinitely more valuable when Blizzard patched these rings and you'd never get dual leech random values together again on a ring.

10. Fallout

Fallout IncGamers Member

This is my first post on this forum, but I've been lurking for a while. Anyway, my love for Diablo...

It's hard to put into words actually. It started with Diablo 1, which I first played in the summer of '96 and then more extensively later that year when my parents got me my own version for Christmas. I ****ing loved it so much. The soundtrack (Tristram's theme in particular) will always be burnt into my brain. Additionally, albums I've bought during that period (like Placebo's debut album, or Live's 'Secret Samadhi') will forever be connected to playing Diablo. I was 12 when it was released and it was the best game I had ever played and I played a lot of games. The first encounter with the butcher was terrifying, discovering an entire new tile set in those caverns was awesome, finding your first unique item, the Valor quest. I loved all of it.

No surprise then that I went crazy when Diablo II was announced. I was literally obsessed, constantly talking about it on forums, gathering every scrap of information there was to find. I even printed out all that stuff, to read it over and over again. There was like a weekly piece by gamesradar where one of the editors gave a really colorful impression of his experiences with the beta. Which was a blast to read. Yeah it was a long wait, being hyped up so intensely for 2 years took its toll. I've probably never been hyped more for a game since Diablo II and I guess I never will again.

Then the game finally went gold in june 2000, which couldn't have been a better time. I just finished my fourth year of highschool (I was 16 then I think) which was an ordeal. So being able to play the game of my dreams in a summer with oceans of time was like paradise compared to the **** year I just had.

The game didn't dissapoint either, even considering my unbelievable levels of hype, the game managed to deliver, and then some. God damn, from the beauty of that character select screen, to the awesome first act, the kick-*** music in the second act, to the atmosphere enhancing cutscenes, Diablo II had it all. I think that's what I love most about the Diablo games, their feel and vibe is just so unique. It's an awesome world to be in. World of Warcraft's orcs and elves just aren't the same. Diablo is something special. I'm kind of worried they will not be able to recreate it with Diablo III, considering Matt Uelmen's departure from Blizzard, but we will see.

Anyway, I've played a lot of Diablo II over the past decade. As a game, it's pretty much perfect, so much content and the actual gameplay is immensely satisfying. Though I haven't reached level 99 or got some of the crazy rune-words that are out there, I have no doubt there are very few people who love Diablo 1 and 2 more than I do. Whenever I think of them, the period I played them in, my crazy hype leading up to DII's release, I just get this almost constricting blast of nostalgia.

Like I said, it's hard to put into words, but for me Diablo is more than just a game. It's an enduring work of art with a very special feel and I will always remember it fondly.

11. DarkGoat

DarkGoat IncGamers Member

Dear Diablo II,

I don't remember how I first heard of you, but as soon as I saw screenshots of you, I knew you were something special. It was love at first sight. Little did I know how intense our relationship would be.

Soon after my first baby steps in the Rogue encampment, I found my first obsession: trading. The hunt for money began. First it was the soj, then the white ring, then the high rune. Whatever it was, I had to have it. Stealing, scamming, lying, betrayal of friends.. there was nothing I was not prepared to do to get 'rich'.

Once I became rich, you opened up a whole new world to me: high level PvP. I remember fondly the days when the Paladin temple was full of activity, and palapk//pk was always open. Day after day, night after night, I would play. I drove my parents crazy, but I didn't care.

After several years of playing, you still seemed to retain your charm and mystery... Then things started to go downhill in our relationship. I no longer seemed to enjoy your company, and I seemed to be playing you only out of habit. When patch 1.10 was released, it rekindled things, but due to my 'richness', I had no trouble obtaining the Annihilus and other new items immediately, and I realized at that moment that I no longer enjoyed playing you. I deleted my account.That put a sudden end to our relationship, and it was probably for the best.

6 years later, I am excited about Diablo 3, and will probably play many other games in the future that I will enjoy very much. But I want you to know one thing: no game can ever replace you.

Oo[x]oO