Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

teleport... yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by mephiztophelez, Jul 1, 2008.

?

thoughts on teleport

1. give it to every-one

3.6%
  2. mage-type only skill

53.0%
  3. available as charges for non-mages

20.5%
  4. HUGE mana-cost/cooldown timer

27.7%
  5. make an "enigma" available (assuming no-dupe econmy)

14.5%
  6. random blink//phase type skill

7.2%
  7. no teleport at all

16.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez Diabloii.Net Member

teleport... yay or nay?

how do we all feel about teleport in D3?

personally, i think teleport is a game-breaking skill and it's inclusion should be somewhat limited, either by mana-cost, cool-downs or slower fcr breaks.

stupid-fast teleporting should, imho, be the preserve of it's native class (the sork in d2).

thoughts?

2. korialstraz

korialstraz Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Re: teleport... yay or nay?

Make it available only for mages, slower cast speed so it's mostly used to escape unexpected enemies or teleport over places like the barb jumps over in the game play trailer, but have charges on items (if a system like charges in D2 is implemented in D3) available to all chars. The cost of using charges should be much higher though. Like 50% higher mana cost than usual or something, so you can't use it on non mages to teleport where you want, but as a usefull tool to escape danger or get a small edge in pvp.

I don't think the cost for mages should be so high, but make it slow or maybe even timered. It all depends on the game play though, so it is most likely too early to tell how it should be implemented. It could work without any restriction like in D2 as long as only the mage class can get it.

3. JusticeInACan

JusticeInACan Diabloii.Net Member

Mage only, available as charged items for non-mages. It makes more sense than to give other classes the ability to permanently be able to use a skill/spell that isn't even theirs.

4. Crowd Control

Crowd Control Banned

I think if teleport would be implemented it would be a lot less useful. Maybe they cut the boss drop rate down, or they make the bosses way too hard to 'just' kill them. At least I hope it's either of the two.

5. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

I voted to give it to everyone, since the barbarian already has one (leap attack), and if there is going to be a mage type (teleport). It would not make much sense to give it to only 2 classes and not to the remaining 3.

Edit: of course, the way teleport currently works for sorcs needs to be toned down a bit. Such as no teleporting where you can't see, or be randomly away from the intended targeted spot if you can't see it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  6. arlington

arlington Diabloii.Net Member

Nay.

Give every class some way to get around that makes them cool and useful in ways that other classes can't do and will never be able to do.

Teleport gets you somewhere faster but you might land in a mob.
    Leap gets you from a to b and you can kill monsters when you land but you can be hit in the air.
    Dragon flight means you give 1 monster a massive kick when you teleport but there has to be something to teleport too.

Just make some more for other classes this time around so people don't get mage envy all over again.

7. ask_dk

ask_dk Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe they give all classes a way to get around obstacles instead of giving them the ability to teleport. I personally think that it very much depends on the way the game is build up, i have my doubts that we will need teleport to get around in game and kill bosses, but no one knows yet :D

8. Queen Mebd

Queen Mebd Diabloii.Net Member

I actually like ThulRasha's take on teleporting, and was thinking myself it would be interesting to make it useful only in a line of sight (i.e. no blind teleporting behind a wall into an area you can't see). It could also be neat if the sorceress or whatever mage type class that has access to it stayed "in teleport" longer, or it took a little longer to get from point a to point b as to be more useful for dodging attacks than actual transportation. Just my two cents.

edit: I LOVE that voting in the poll takes you to the thread about Smeg's mental capacity. :grin:

9. jjscud

jjscud Diabloii.Net Member

I would just like to point out that as the barb is walking early in the vid the pathway breaks in front of him and he has to jump it.

Granted its all assumptions at this point but I think it would make more sense for all classes to have at least a minimal jump ability than for that to be a barb only event.

Still, I vote timered telelports. It can be a quick escape/reposition but shouldn't be a method of transportation.

10. Burst Cancel

Burst Cancel Diabloii.Net Member

I'd give every class a movement skill, and keep teleport on the sorc-type characater.

Diablo is a high-speed, high-energy game; throwing cooldowns in the mix is just irritating and unnecessary. There are other ways teleporting could be balanced:
    - put teleport on a different breakpoint table from other spells to require more equipment sacrifices for faster teleports
    - make the caster character more fragile
    - make teleporting more expensive at lower levels, forcing more skill point investment and thus leaving fewer skillpoints for offensive skills
    - give teleports the 'mindblast' effect, wherein being hit during a teleport casting animation automatically stuns you
    - etc.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with certain classes having specialties - that's part of what makes these games interesting. Teleport is a signature caster skill, and should be included. Other classes can get their own fun advantages.

11. Pyratheon

Pyratheon Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Smeg's Mental Capacity

Either mage only, or no one, and give the mages some cool acrobatics or speed skills for dodging so it can shoot and get away to distance tho not so far as many tele screens away, so acrobatics and doging nearby in a close circle around the target, firing all the time, but needs skill, and others have chance to hit.

12. prion

prion Diabloii.Net Member

i want it changed so you can't go thru walls, that seems to make sense to me.

or if you get some kind of see thru walls skill like infravision, in that case and that case only i would allow tele thru walls.

and i want the walls changed so you can't immediately tell there's something behind it :/

(didn't read the whole thread, sorry if i'm repeating anything)

13. 5zigen

5zigen Diabloii.Net Member

I think that this is one of the big sore spots for D2 for me. The fact that to get items you almost NEED a sorceress.

Personally, the way I would like to see it is 3 skills work like spell books from D1: Town Portal, Teleport, and a new spell, Heal. In addition to learning them I think they should all have a 4 second cast time.

One of the reasons I think it's a bad design decision to give only 1 class teleport is that not only does it mean that to compete in any sort of speed, you need to make one yourself, and to top that off, it becomes a necessary skill yet in general remains a 1 point wonder because theres no REAL way to scale the spell.

That's why I think they would do well if every character could learn them, but they werent the same incarnation of what they were in D2.

My .2g

14. hestah

hestah Diabloii.Net Member

I would want teleport for mage only.
    Perhaps a mix of cooldown and charges.
    Like, if you have the skill lvl 10 in teleport it might give you 5 charges with a 2-3 sec cooldown. But the cooldown only applys when you have used all 5 charges.
    This way you can use 5 quick teles then have to wait for the cooldown to give you one charge, wait again for the second etc.
    Then you can teleport once fairly quickly after you used all charges but it wont be useful for going far distance quickly like in d2.

15. mouseman

mouseman Diabloii.Net Member

Teleport is the cancer of D2.

It limits the resolution to crap. This would be a big problem in D3.

It makes sorc overpowered. Enigma didn't fix this: everyone are overpowered now.

The skill is meant to be like the leap. To be used one time for escaping or cutting a corner. I hope Blizzard does anything needed that it stays that way in D3. Hopefully every character could have a same kind of a skill (otherwise the bridge sequence would suck).

16. Remy

Remy Diabloii.Net Member

Teleport should be a mage class skill ONLY, not available any other way, and balanced as such.

IMO it should still be fast-castable, to keep it viable for use in battle, tactical positioning, evading, etc. However, the balance should come in the form of increasing cast lag on each hit received. Each time you're hit during Teleport cast animation, it is interrupted, and the subsequent cast time will be longer and longer. The effect will also linger for longer and longer.

Teleport can then still function according to the intended purpose. An abusive player stubbornly trying to spam teleport while getting hit, will just stand there casting slower and slower. 0.5 sec cast time, to 1 sec cast, to 2 sec, to 4 sec, etc. We shouldn't punish the legit Teleport users by making it take a long time to cast all the time.

17. DANIEL3RD

DANIEL3RD Diabloii.Net Member

Teleport should be limited to sorc or mage only. Giving it to everyone is a no no. Hopefully each character will have their own particular skills that will enhance every one elses in a party, but they should not have a teleport skill. Maybe charges could be found on a ring or amulet, but these should be limited to no more than maybe 5 charges per item and should be exhorbitantly expension to repair.

Also when using such items there should be no fast cast involved. This will stop non mages and sorc teleporting everywhere in an instant.

As for Sorc and mages maybe teleport can only be used in line of sight, i.e not through walls. Or maybe when teleporting they are subject to dim vision. This way maybe they wont be so keen to teleport for the sake of it but only in emergency when in danger.

18. snugglson

snugglson Diabloii.Net Member

in zelda OOT, the horse had 5 or 6 carrots that you could spam and over time they would come back. they should us that system for teleport, that way the different ranks could have more charges or faster recharge times.

19. smartdot

smartdot Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Smeg's Mental Capacity

i think that to encourage tele as a more of a runaway save yourself type skill, instead of a mana cost, a cost based on percentage of total life and mana. Im thinking 15% life taken away, and 30% mana. You could back this up saying that the rapid shift in location cause great strain on the body.

edit: this would work even beter now that i think of it because you have to kill to get life back, or go to town, so you couldnt just tele widly any more.

20. Intolerance

Intolerance Diabloii.Net Member

I think it should only be available to the mage class as a skill that has a severe casting delay- perhaps 5 seconds between teleports.

Other classes should only have access to the equivalent of D1 phasing.