Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

TehDexAZon: Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Hp_Sauce, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

TehDexAZon: Advice Please!

Ok guys, as per the rules in the SP Tournament I signed up for I have to make an untwinked HC Amazon character who only puts Stat points into Dextarity. So yeah, base Vit, Str, and Eng. The winner will be the one still alive or with the most Dexterity so obviously surviving will win the tournament.

I created TehDexAZon and she is currently level 17 and at the Jail 1 WP.

My plan is some kind of a Hybrid with Valk, Decoy, and a Defiance merc simply because if you combine them with D/A/E and the max block that I will have it will allow me to get hit as little as possible, and not getting hit is the only thing that is going to keep me alive.

So, deffinetly 20 points in Valk, ~5 in Decoy, 1 in D/A/E and pierce.

As for killing skills I was thinking Lightning Fury, so 20 points in that

Thats 56 points total so far.

For the bow skill I was thinking Strafe at first because I know Strafe. But then I sort of came to my sences and decided that being 'stuck' for a full strafe without any IAS twinking gear and base Life would be bad bad bad. So I've started to lean in the direction of Freezing Arrow.

Having big clumps of baddies stopped and not attacking me seems like it will deffinetly increase my survival rate, so 20 points in Freezing Arrow puts me at 78 Skill points used

Serious problems I forsee:
    - Mana! With base str a 4 slotted belt might even be tough, and both LF and FA are mana intensive spells. Crap!
    - When on the bow switch the max block will be rather blockless.

So: (keep in mind that this character will most certainly die and we're only trying to pro-long the death while still being able to level).
    1) Do you think unsynergized LF and FA will cut the mustard if used wisely?
    2) A HF Merc could potentially help me get hit less, though the radius of HF will be peanuts at first. What do you think? Defiance > HF?
    3) Another thing I was wondering, Mayhaps Guided Arrow instead of Freezing Arrow? I wonder this because:
    - Its mana needs drop with level
    - Not having to aim means I have way more time to avoid monsters and hide behind tanks.
    - However, being untwinked my actually bow damage is going to blow which means the damage of Guided Arrow will only blow slightly less.

What do you guys think? Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks
    -hps

2. tomatoman

tomatoman IncGamers Member

maybe this will help, remembered reading it and found it quick.
    only advice i can think of myself is better have that strong valk for your 500 life in hell ;), and the light fury wont be as useful considering you wont have many points for synergies and untwinked gear wont provide you much help there either.
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showpost.php?p=4852926&postcount=2

HF will be > Defiance until you get your hands on some armor with decent defense.

3. Full_Circle

Full_Circle IncGamers Member

If you can wear an armor with decent defense with base strength, I'd be very surprised. Holy Freeze all the way. As far as the rest goes...

Well, you're untwinked, so doing damage with a bow is going to be near impossible (strafe/multi) or extremely mana intensive (frozen). You also have base vita, so doing damage with a jav is going to be dangerous (cs) or again... extremely mana intensive (lf). The answer, IMO, lies in the unused skills.

As your amazing valk tanks everything in sight, you should sit behind her, occasionally tossing a big poisonous javelin in the direction of your foes.

So yeah. 20 valk. 20 poison jav. 20 plague jav. The rest in dodge/avoid/evade... maybe some additional points in decoy if you think it's necessary.

That's what I'd do.

I hope you have some patience... you're going to need it.

4. Hp_Sauce

Hrm, so 2 votes for the HF merc, and Trebby picks the Poison skill tree which is crappy before I know nothing about it and because it makes sense. d'oh!

I'm not sure if I like the idea of standing around and waiting for the monsters to die simply because I could get hit during that time but, I do like the damage numbers that come from it. 5k Plague o_O.

Any more good ideas?

-hps

5. waflob

waflob IncGamers Member

I've had a few plaguezons, but not with only dex. Don't worry about lite fury. It is a great 20 point wonder - the synergies are only 1% each, so if you were to put all your skills into synergising LF, it wouldn't even double the damage. Not only that, but lite immunes won't care one way or the other.

I would actually suggest a different merc. Now, please don't laugh, but an act 3 cold merc is actually quite useful to you here. You will be doing lots of poison and lite damage, the valk will be dealing physical and the merc will do cold damage. I don't know of anything that is immune to all that. Also, the act 3 cold merc will freeze monsters rather than just slowing them.

The general tactic is to cast decoy, then chuck a plague javeling. You then sit back and watch them die, ably assisted by the valk and merc. If you're not allowed to resurrect the merc, then treat him gently.

hth

DelBoy

6. zenithsmith

zenithsmith IncGamers Member

I think you should go max fend! Oh and penetrate just to make sure you don't miss: thats the ticket ! :thumbsup: ( if you would actually survice long enough to max both that would be impressive in itself)

its how i will win the touney, by giving advice that will help umm lighten the tourney roster

7. Hp_Sauce

lol!

You made me laugh before I go walk in the rain to catch a bus to write my Macro mid-term, thanks!

-hps

8. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Damn! I thought I was being original and you seem to have gotten the exact same build as me.....

My plan:

20 Valk
    20/20 Poison Javs
    20 LF
    Some in DAE Decoy and Pierce

I'm thinking Decoy will be practically useless though due to it having such low life.

9. Hp_Sauce

Well I'm deffinetly going to put at least 5 points in Decoy. Its mana requirments drop with more points in it, and I cast Decoy a lot when I play zon's so thats a good thing. With 5 points it stays up for 30 seconds, and as an added bonus it will improve my Valks life by ~300 also.

From my experience so far playing to level 19 I'm fairly certain my death will come in the form of a 1 hit KO from a monster hiding beside a door as I walk through the door. I plan on putting the Decoy in this position so it can die instead of me while warning me of any impending doom.

I see my tactics going something like this.
    -Open door.
    -flee back from the door.
    -toss a Decoy just inside the door.
    -throw a Plague Java at my Decoy.
    -Try to direct my Valk and Merc's attention to the monsters.
    -Freeze any stray monsters with Freezing Arrow.
    -Wait.
    -Pick up l33t itamz.
    -Win tournament.

-hps

10. Full_Circle

I think you definitely need an Act 2 or Act 5 merc. A1 and A3 mercs will flee from enemies, potentially leading them to you. When you get to areas where a single hit is going to be game over, that's definitely not a good thing.

I started one of these myself. Level 20 so far, in early Act 2. I've actually been pretty surprised at Poison Jav's potency in /players 8 mode. Effective and easy on the mana. Good stuff.

11. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Fixed your quote :tongue:

Sounds like a good plan, I think I will go for the 1 point FA too, seeing as it only costs 3 points it will be invaluable.

12. HCKull

HCKull IncGamers Member

As you are depending on your valk to tank I would get an edge bow with lvl 15 thorns aura. This will make your valk almost invincible in melee as the thorns aura will return damage 8 to 1.

13. Hp_Sauce

Thats actually not a bad idea except that I'd really like to have Jav's and the Shield out as much as possible for the blocking. Possible keeping it on switch and bringing it out when the time is right would work though.

-hps

14. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

I don't know about you, but with all that dex I'd have an extremely hard time resisting some sort of physical bow attack. I guess it all depends on how you weigh the competitive side of this thing vs the fun side. With all the Valking and Decoying you'll be doing, I really don't think Strafe would be all that detrimental to your survival. But I definitely agree that the poison route sounds much safer.

BTW, you're going into this with the wrong mentality, to say the least. Read this for inspiration.

15. BongoFury

BongoFury IncGamers Member

Yeah, agreed. If it's the Glass Cannon tournament, you should build a classic glass cannon. So I'd pick physical bow skill, strafe is probably the way I'd go. It only requires 24 points, so it would leave you points for your Valk and LF. And with auto targeting, it will let you stand back further for extra safety.

16. Hp_Sauce

Just a little update incase anyone cares.

TehDexAZon is now level 50 and at the Cats 2 WP in NM.

Dex: 283

Life: 302
    Mana: 152

Resists
    Switch 1: 85/75/63/25
    Switch 2: 73/70/38/-7

Skills:
    Plague Jav - 16
    Poison Jav - 8

Valk - 11
    Decoy - 2
    All other passives - 1

Freezing Arrow - 1
    Strafe - 2

Some note worthy gear:
    Switch 1: Rare Javs & "Rhyme" Spiked Shield
    Switch 2: "Edge" Razor Bow
    Armour: Arctic Furs (****)
    Helm: "Lore" Helm
    Belt: Rare Demonhide Sash with +56 Life, +9 Str, FR and CR (I Imbued this bad boy!!)
    Ammy: Nozokan
    Ring: Manald
    Ring: Rare with +45 mana and other stuff.
    Gloves: ****
    Boots: ****

No real problems so far (aside from the Norm Diablo fight). I think once the Poison Immunes start showing up things will go down the drain pretty fast though.

I've decided to use Strafe as my backup skill and PI killer simply because It's the "Glass Cannon" theme and people convinced me.

I can't think of anything else usefull to say so I'm going to bed.

-hps

Edit: I found a Hel rune. Any ideas on how I can make use of it?

17. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

Questions:

Is this single player only?

If this is SP only, can we use ATMA?

18. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Congrats, Hp, you are doing well :smiley:

I haven't had the motivation to play mine unfortunately, I'll have to catch up soon though. If I were you, I would save the Hel and hope for Lum and Fal, I don't think there's a better armor for this tournament than Lionheart.

@wakiki: Check out the SPF 'Glass Cannons' thread, all the rules are there.

19. Full_Circle

hel + tp scroll + lore + transmute = SUPaHLoRE +5 SKILLZ ROONWeRD~!

20. waflob

waflob IncGamers Member

are you sure ? Arreat Summit says it's +6 skillz ...

DelBoy