Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tedious start-ups on new chars

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by NamelessPenguin, Dec 12, 2017.

1. NamelessPenguin

NamelessPenguin Diabloii.Net Member

There are a few builds I'd like to try, but I hate questing through Normal and NM (and some of the Hell acts)

I have some twinking gear, like Sigons, and some gemmed axes and stuff.

Do you guys have any tips for getting through Norm and NM asap? I know the standard leveling areas (for example run Rakanishu + Tristram until lvl 18 or so..), but I'm more looking for speed running tactics, I guess.

I'd think rushing through the acts on P1 until reaching Pindleskin whould be an option, then Baal?

How long does it take you for each act?

2. darkstarhub

darkstarhub Diabloii.Net Member

I know what you mean. I have several new characters at various states of the game just waiting to be leveled on up for builds I want to try. If I have plenty of time to play it’s usually spent on my 99er, but if it’s only going to be a short session I will work on one of the other characters for a bit. Or sometimes I will pick one and get a few levels before I get to the grind.

I just go through the game and stop at certain monsters and run them for awhile and go on for leveling. It’s not the fastest way I am sure, but to me there is no super fast way to level a new character.

3. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

For speed running, MrLlama has a great series on his youtube channel. However, I would suggest either rushing through everything in a speed running fashion and then level up after that. Alternatively, bows and all armour socketed with envy jewels is a fun method - or you could respectfully a source to enchant and go down that road. Some characters have particularly good rushing skills, such as frozen orb and poison javelin. Personally, I prefer to just play through because I enjoy it, so I'm not all that experienced in rushing my way through, but hopefully that helps.

4. fearedbliss

fearedbliss Diabloii.Net Member

Yup as @Kitteh said, having an enchanter helps a lot since you can kill the monsters yourself at low levels. I never saw this done on SC before, only on HC battle.net I saw this when I used to play there a long time ago. But the enchanter can also work beautifully in DC as well.

5. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Jewel of Envy gear to clvl15
    1.07 Ravenclaw to clvl30
    Power build to end of NM
    Respec for Hell

1.07 eOath Small Crescent is awesome for melee - equip at clvl47
    Gothic Plate with 4x Jewels of Carnage is also quite useful.

Kitteh likes this.
  6. DiabloTwoinDC

DiabloTwoinDC Diabloii.Net Member

I actually like playing through most of normal/NM. Getting OP items that you're able to use at low levels, makes for a much broader item-hunting experience. :)

Kitteh likes this.
  7. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

During the summer, I created an Enchantress (lvl 81 right now). All recent new characters (excluding untwinked 99er / tournement stuff) have been given an Enchant boost from Level 1 via Self-MP. I like to keep my characters in theme/in character i.e. if they are a thrower, they use throwing weapons from the off. I also don't respec unless I've misclicked, so the characters grow up with their skills organically.

This gives me the following:
    1. Over 3.2k fire damage from lvl 1 (plus another 3.2k damage from Merc)
    2. Maintain overall trajectory/theme/style of the build. This allows me to get a feel for the character and timings/cool downs/hotkeys etc.
    3. Enchantress can provide waypoints, so the loss of a static map is not felt too much - if you play windowed mode this is very easy, I like full screen mode so there is a lot of alt tabbing but not a big issue.
    4. It's not very onerous - it's like having a Ravenclaw but for any weapon = Total Gear Freedom
    5. The character completes all quests and waypoints as they go but things move a lot quicker.
    6. Depending on the class/build, the character is usually self-sufficient anywhere from level 25 (spirit), 27 (insight), 30 (main skill) up to 42 (class specific uniques + skillers).
    7. Then it's Normal Baal runs until one of the following points: Level 54 (to equip Phase Blade / Monarch) or some other level between 50 - 56 to equip a significant piece of gear.
    8. From this point, I can comfortably play through NM and Hell. Making sure to stop at NM Baal for a while or until I can get to lvl 75-77ish for Reapers/Kira's/Griffon or maybe even 80 for Arachnid. If it becomes slow, I'll move to Act 1 Hell Pits.
    I highly recommend getting an enchantress. The thing that stops me now, is having enough gear for all my characters! (My self imposed rule is that each character has their own personal set of gear and sharing end game items is a no-no. Hand me downs while levelling or improving gear are fine though. This does mean that I'm chronically short of Highlord's Wrath, Gore Riders, War Travelers, Treachery, Mara's).

8. DiabloTwoinDC

DiabloTwoinDC Diabloii.Net Member

I like doing that as well, especially with weapons. I try to make use of the normal/exceptional items of the same type as my endgame weapon. If I'm gonna be using Scourge for instance, I try to equip flail/knout through normal/NM.

ioupainmax likes this.
  9. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

I'm quite the opposite, I usually enjoy the early game more than the late game. I have a ton of started-but-unfinished characters that I grew bored with along the way.

I have to play HC in order to enjoy the game at all, and sometimes I do like the tension that comes with playing on Hell difficulty. But in contrast to that, the non-dangerous parts of the game can sometimes be so relaxing for me, as my characters ride behind their merc. I play more to kill time (i.e. when I think I don't have anything better to do with my time) than to be efficient. I'll happily spend 50 hours in Normal with a character.

Kitteh likes this.
  10. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

Just rush them in 1.07 and do the ancients. Lvl 53 chars right off the bat. Not my style, I like the grind for mid-level items.

11. NamelessPenguin

From the looks of it, I might as well learn to enjoy the game it self :p

I don't have any program to open several windows, nor do I have a char in any older versions, though I would like to have one in 1.07 for the racks.

Playing the char the way as it's end game build is intended also sounds interesting. I'm currently working on a Tesladin (lvl 10..), I've read that Fire aura rocks for early game, but I might try to pump Shock as soon as I can, I guess.

Any other alternatives to Envy jewels? I don't have a single one. How about just perfect gems, like topaz? I have a 6os Crystal Sword, gonna try it when I reach pgem level. I once had a 6os bow with Emeralds, but I think that got slow already at Act 2.

12. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

Envy jewels don't have level requirements, where higher gems do. Crystal swords don't really have the durability to be very effective. You could do a bow with jewels of carnage (or whatever the +15 max ones are). Lvl req 18 and will net you +90 max in a 6 socket bow. Also fill a mask and a breast plate with them for +90 more.

13. necrolemming

necrolemming Diabloii.Net Member

I like hitting stuff, so I still use a 6os Great Maul with rlvl 1 ED/-req/poison jewels, but a Long Bow would almost certainly be faster by virtue of faster attack speed and not having to chase anything around. I don't think there's a whole lot of value to be gotten out of level 18 damage gear when 1.09 Raven Claw is going to be better

With that being said, I've been preferring using mules from 1.07 -> 1.10s hellforge rushing for projects (normal/NM Ancients done in 1.07; hell saved for 1.13 because I don't care to finish Act 4, although I'd probably do it for a real 99 push to have access to Baal and save Ancients). There's not a whole lot of character differentiation for the first 20something levels, so I'd rather get to the point where skills start coming into play.

14. NamelessPenguin

Thanks for all the great advice. Rushing 1.07 mules sounds like my cup of tea, I should really start that Sorc, but I don't really have the patience for that now. Also just for the racks.

I once had an old Raven Claw, boy that was fun :) I've also used Great Mauls in the past with very good success. But for now, I'll just bite the bullet and use Light dmg charms and Civerb's scepter. Works really good so far. Doing P1 playthrough, then stopping for leveling areas.