Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ted Stevens you pill !

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Syxx, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Syxx

Syxx Diabloii.Net Member

Ted Stevens you pill !

Hi All,

Ted Stevens, the longest-serving Republican in the US Senate, has been found guilty on corruption charges linked to Alaska's oil industry.

Is this for real ?

1 set of rules for Joe the Peasant Public, and another for Stevens the Shonky Senator.

So if he does get re-elected, and he does get jail time ... theoretically the current and possibly next Alaskan Senator could be working out of prison. What a sad inditement of the American political system :embarassed:

Regards
    Syxx

2. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Ted Stevens you pill !

Get REAL, if we threw all the crooks and liars out there would not be anyone left...

3. Syxx

Syxx Diabloii.Net Member

Hi Bob,

Either you are a major cynic .... or what you say is true to some degree, which would be downright depressing.

If what you are saying is true then in theory, you could have a bunch of murderers in the government, and they could change the law making murder legal. All it would take is a bunch of murders who are really popular. Highly unlikely I know, but still theoretically possible.

Why would you not have a law preventing felons from getting in to the government ? Is there really so few honest and law abiding politicians around ?

Now I am really curious whether other Western countries have rules that disallow convicted felons from being in the government ? I must admit I assumed such was the case for all western countries, but now I don't know.

Regards
    Syxx

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Aren't people immune to legal presecution as long as they are holding a constitutional office, like senators ? Of course, they can be stripped of their position and then be charged, but it usually cannot happen before.

The reason for that is not to let politicians get away with their crimes, but to stabilize the stately order. Judges are usually giving orders to the police and if it wasn't like that, they could theoretically order the police to arrest all of the government and take over the country. BTW, judges are immune to legal prosecution as well.

5. Akira

Akira Member

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if it has happened before. If I were to generalize politicians as a group however I would say that their crimes tend to be white collar. But maybe I have seen too many movies lately.

6. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

Nope they can be arrested, convicted and sentenced to jail like anyone else, they just don't lose the job unless the congress holds a vote and removes them from office, a judge is only immune to prosecution for his acts as a judge not anything else.

7. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy Diabloii.Net Member

Chances are a law allowing murder would be found unconstitutional.

Because people should be allowed to elect who they want to represent them. And because it prevents bias in the system from excluding people from office. (Hint: think Nelson Mandela)

The Constitution's requirements for who can hold federal office are very very minimal. It might surprise you to know that Supreme Court justices don't even have to be lawyers.

8. Amra

Amra Diabloii.Net Member

It's not sad at all, it's a good thing. Why take away MY right to vote for who I want to? Not that I'm in favor of crooks being in office mind you. But when you start messing with peoples right to vote for who they want to, well, that's never a good thing.

9. Starving_Poet

Starving_Poet Diabloii.Net Member

For better or for worse, so long as the people decide for themselves, there is nothing wrong with that.

It's when a select few decide what is best for the vast majority that we have a problem.

10. Kennoth

Kennoth Banned

And I thought this is happening since the democracy exists. Silly me

11. keppie

keppie Diabloii.Net Member

Not that i endorse right-wing parties, but err.. Cordon sanitaire anyone ?

12. Syxx

Syxx Diabloii.Net Member

Hi,

Good point AJ ... about Nelson Mandela. I must admit I don't think of him as a criminal, but according to the South African government at the time he was even though they were the ones running an apartied system treating blacks as 2nd class citizens which he vehemantly apposed.

I understand your point of view, just not sure I agree with it. If a person is inclined to break the law (ie a convicted felon) then that person is not the sort of person I'd want running the country. I think there should be certain standards for people in power, however I'm not sure where you draw the line, particulaly when you think about AJ's example of Nelson Mandela.

Regards
    Syxx

13. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy Diabloii.Net Member

Well keep in mind that many of the founding fathers of America were basically criminals in England's eyes. It's kind of hard to start a country if you rule yourself out of leadership.

14. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

I don't think who was a criminal in the eyes of England had a lot of sway among the Continental Congress though.

15. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Also keep in mind that a couple of politicians are criminals in the eyes of their own people. Anyway, this case is about somebody who is considered and convicted as criminals by judges of their own country which is said to be a constitutional democracy where humans rights are said to be kept in high esteem and everybody is equal before the law.