Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Technical Problems

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Neilzor, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Neilzor

Neilzor IncGamers Member

Technical Problems

I seem to be having some problems with D2X. I'm running an Athlon 2600 @ 1.83 GHz, 512mb of ram, and a GeForce FX5700, so I theoretically should have no trouble running this game at all. I play UT2004 without as much as a hiccup. However, I regularly hit slowdowns within the game, graphical glitches, and the all-too-occasional lockup. Sometimes it recovers, but not before I die. I am very disapointed with this kind of performance, especially considering my computer is years ahead of technology from 2001, and the fact that I get no better preformance than what I had with my old computer, which was maybe half as powerful.

Does anyone else get these kinds of problems? If you have solved them, how did you go about doing so?

2. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

is this online or on single player?

3. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

Run Video test in D2 startup folder, and switch to 2D (Directdraw) mode. Many people seem to be having problems with 3D mode in this game.

4. Neilzor

Neilzor IncGamers Member

This is online... And I'll try switching to 2d, but it may look too crappy for my tastes.

5. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

I think it looks the same, only perspective is unavailable in 2D^^

6. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Need more information

Which driver version (assuming ForceWare)?
    Which graphics modes (resolution, not just DirectX)?
    What are your performance and quality settings (deep in your display tab)?
    What set-up did you last have an acceptable FPS with?

7. CoopMoe

CoopMoe IncGamers Member

it also seems you lose the option to change the gamma setting with 2d.

also, i played D2 in 2d for a while before getting a new video card. there's virtually no difference. i think mouseover outlines on the baddies and perspective mode are the only noticable differences.

8. Neilzor

Neilzor IncGamers Member

Yeah 2d seems to be fine... Not quite as realistic, but I can deal. FPS don't stutter anymore, which is good.

I'm using the latest NVidia drivers, and running at 800x600 in game and 1024x768 on desktop. Antialiasing, V-Sync and Anisotropic Filtering setting are both application controlled, image settings are set to quality. 32 bit color.

9. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

See if this works

Create a profile for DiabloII.exe in the drop-down menu and turn off antialiasing, anisotropic filtering, set image quality to full performance and save the other things for later (can't remember the rest right now). Select that as the active profile, reduce your desktop resolution to 800x600 and run D2:LOD in full screen. As far as I know, unless your system has a serious problem with Direct3D, you shouldn't need to use DirectDraw. D3D is an accelerated API that Nvidia cards support for faster rendering, it shouldn't slow anything down normally.

It's common knowledge Blizzard made D2 for 3dfx Glide-capable adapters, then bunged in Direct3D later on when 3dfx went belly-up. The game drivers are of poor quality, but only recently - with the release of the latest ForceWare, was I able to hit 300+ FPS. That was with practically no features and nothing onscreen, as anything reduces framerate: typing in the message window, messages on the screen, bringing up the message log (huge hit there, especially if full), cursor hovering over an item, showing all names of items on the ground (huge hit if lots of gear has been dropped)... anything. With all those features on during a Baal run I tend to hit single-digits even with that maximum I have.