Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tech thread #1

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by {KOW}Spazed, Apr 4, 2005.

1. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Tech thread #1

This is the first in a weekly thread of just strange/cool tech things that will be coming up. In the next few weeks we could possibly be getting some good debates going on what upcoming technology is best(IE Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD)

Anywho this week's link is from Hitachi who has announced 1 terabyte 3.5 inch drives in '07 and 20 gig microdrives(1inch drives used in the iPod mini) also to be released in '07.

I find it odd that desktop drives will only double in size while the microdrives will do a little more than triple.

2. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

The market for compacts is going up. More and more people want their stuff smaller and smaller. It annoys me too.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I have nothing against making smaller drives and such, I just find it strange that desktop drives won't be reaching something more like 1.8 terabytes. The read/write heads and data density can be moved to a larger drive with very little modification. Moving from a larger disks components to a smaller one is where the real problem is, so that makes me think the numbers are a reversed. The larger drives should be getting the bigger increase in space(by %) than the smaller ones.

4. group x

group x IncGamers Member

All i want is a PSP, but all my friends say its getting banned. Is this true?

5. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Personally, I think the technology is already there, and maybe even the parts made and stockpiled.
    I hate to say it, but it all comes down to the almighty dollar. Introduce 1.0 or 1.2 terabyte drives for a while until the flurry of buying dies down in 6 months or so, and then introduce the 1.8 or 2.0 terabyte drives. More money, more sales. I see it all the time; that's the way it was with CD's /DVD's.