Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tech Problem, Seeking Assistance

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by pancakeman, Nov 18, 2006.

1. pancakeman

pancakeman Diabloii.Net Member

Tech Problem, Seeking Assistance

My dad noticed that my computer was kicking in its built-in fan a lot recently, and decided that it needed to be cleaned out. Lacking one of those fancy compressed air cleaning devices, and not willing to allow my paintball gun anywhere near an expensive piece of machinery, he decided to vacuum it. Neither he nor I realized what would happen, and I fetched the handheld Dirt Devil. Wrong choice. Apparently, the graphics card has been fried or something. Symptoms:
    With card enabled, normal startup is impossible, profile menu is graphically...screwed up.
    With card enabled in Safe Mode, everything is fine. But nothing can be accomplished.
    With integrated graphics enabled, everything is fine, but veeeeerrry slooooow.
    Finally, and possibly unrelated, my Direct3D is not functioning correctly. When I attempt to start up D2 or any other game, I get an error message, stating that Direct3D failed to initialize.

Anyone have any idea what is going on? Please no "OMG you are such a noob" comments, I understand that I screwed up big time. Now I need help to fix it.

2. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

Did you hit reverse and blast it with air or actually run the vacuum cleaner over it? I'm guessing the static electricity fried it, either that or it was the dust coating the vacuum cleaner gave it. The damage is probably irreparable at any rate.

3. Quietus

Quietus Diabloii.Net Member

If your graphics card was fried, I don't think you'd be able to get resolution above 640x480. From the sounds of it, you may have done something a little more hardcore than that. I definately think it's time to take it in to the professionals, this could be a problem anywhere in the system

4. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, vacuums tend to create a lot of static electricity. They make special static free vacuums for cleaning computers. Odds are you did fry something in the video card. If that is the case the card is destroyed and you cant fix it.

5. FirsTimer

FirsTimer Diabloii.Net Member

Seconded. Call this one of "Life's little lessons". Next time you need a reliever, call in the kid with the paintball gun.

6. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

3rdeded. That was possibly the worst thing he could have done. Vacuums, one of natures best static electricity generators.

If you feel up to it, tear the laptop apart and see if the graphics card is actually replaceable. But as a warning, other stuff could be screwed up too, like the mobo, and everything else. If it's a fairly recent laptop, check if it's still under warranty, and have the company fix it. If not, expect to pay $350+ for a new mobo.

7. Dondrei

Oh, was this a laptop? That could be bad, it's a lot harder to replace components.

In future, just buy a can of compressed air from your local hardware store. That's what I did.

8. pancakeman

No, not a laptop. Just a really, really dusty old tower. Got a little fan in it, and it kicks into high gear, making enough noise to wake the dead.

We have pretty much decided that the card is fried over here, just can't figure out what is causing the Direct3D errors. I should have realized that the dust would create static, but was more worried about the small, but still present, EM field generated by the vacuum.
    Well, I guess I'll start looking for a cheap, CHEAP new graphics card, and hope and pray that I can find one.

9. Yaboosh

Yaboosh Diabloii.Net Member

Also hope and pray that the video card is the only problem that was caused by the vacuum.

10. pancakeman

For now it seems to be *knocks on wood* , but I am getting this wierd thing with the Intarwebs. Every time I use my scroll wheel or anything else to move the page down, it reloads it frame by frame. Really annoying. Anyone know what the problem is? I remember having fixed this once, just don't recall what was causing it...

11. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

I remember such a problem in the past as well... I'm thinking restarting the computer might have been the solution (a vid card problem of some sort)... But I could be wrong. I'm assuming you've already restarted the browser a few times... and the comp too perhaps.

12. pancakeman

Yes, that is usually my first reaction to a problem. I can't think of what it could be, and have eliminated it being a browser problem, since it does the same thing with IE. It never did this when I ran off integrated graphics before, I can't see why it is now.

13. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

What about regular explorer windows? I know I had problems with those too...

14. rare

rare Diabloii.Net Member

I think I had the same thing happen; when you scrolled down did it look like.. "choppy" and not as smooth as it was before?

That was what happened to me after I did a reinstall of XP. I was told I just had to update the drivers of my video card. I did so, and it fixed the problem perfectly.

So I dont know if youd like to try that...it sounds very similar to your issue but I highly doubt vacuuming your computer would have affected your video card drivers :shocked:

15. ffejrxx

ffejrxx Diabloii.Net Member

to temperarly solve your ie scroll problem

disable smooth scrolling
    tools --> internet options --> advanced tab
    uncheck "use smooth scrolling"

and go to your video options and disable hardware acceleration
    desktop properties --> settings tab --> advanced button -- preformance tab
    none or basic should fix some of it

16. Dondrei

The only times I've had choppy web browsing is when I'm running DOSBox in the background, that eats up a lot of resources. Maybe your system is just running slow because half its graphics resources are fried.

17. pancakeman

Update:
    After fiddling with it, paternal parent has fixed the choppy browsing. I will check the Direct3D thing in a bit.