Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tech-heads, your opinion appreciated...

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by JimOfTheJungle, Jul 2, 2009.

?

Guesses please, will this be enough for D3

1. No way man, not a chance

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Maybe just, but its not gonna be pretty

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Yeah, should be smooth

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Easy, no worries

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JimOfTheJungle

JimOfTheJungle Diabloii.Net Member

Tech-heads, your opinion appreciated...

Long time lurker here, making a first post! :wave:

Right, what i'd like is simply a GUESS from you guys as to whether a laptop like this will run Diablo 3. I appreciate its total guesswork at the moment, and the difference between running it horribly and jerkily and running it smoothly gives a wide area to aim your guess at. But i think theres enough technically minded people out there to have a good stab, based on what we know about the game so far.

The deal is i need a laptop asap (last one died), and im on a budget.

I'd like to think it will probably run it, and maybe it to not be too jerky. If it wont, no big deal, i'l simply have to get together the cash (one way or another) for a beefier desktop the week before release! :evil:

Spec:

Intel Pentium Dual Core T3400 processor 2.16GHz
    3GB DDR2 RAM
    Intel GMA X4500 graphics card.
    O/S Vista (probably)

(How the video card does can be seen at http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-4500MHD-GMA-X4500MHD.9883.0.html)

Thanks!

2. MoonUnit

MoonUnit Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Tech-heads, your opinion appreciated...

I'd not get one with an intel GMA (Graphics Media Accelerator), get one with a dedicated card.

3. amerikhan

amerikhan Diabloii.Net Member

You'll definitely need to buy a quality ATI or NVIDIA graphics card to go with your laptop.

4. Risingred

Risingred Diabloii.Net Member

A laptop would be a waste for gaming unless you're willing to drop some major cash. I recently bought a decent HP laptop with a dedicated 9M card in it and it still lags while running diablo 2 and some older games. It's great for work and for school, but not for gaming.

Desktops are much cheaper and easier to work with. Laptops are pemanent and they cannot begin to match the performance of even a mid-range desktop.

If you insist on a laptop then you are going to need a dedicated GPU. I would suggest (for laptops) an nVidia GPU because they're better supported with drivers and support.
    You cannot run a game with physx, havok, dynamic lighting and the like on an integrated card.

5. JimOfTheJungle

Hold on, this graphics card aint all that bad. Its DX10 capable. According to the website i linked- it performs better than some of the cheap dedicated cards, and it'l play some new games like Fear2(2009) on low settings, and should run fine with older games like say Half Life 2 Lost Coast.

Maybe my view is a bit warped, as ive been playing D2 on an old laptop, its about 5 years old now, celeron 1400 i think, on board gfx (it shipped with 256mb of ram, and a 30gig hd drive to give you an idea how old) Its got an extra gig of ram in now, and despite being old and clogged up with loads of rubbish (since ive never been bothered to wipe and reinstall) it runs d2 flawlessly. Anything seems like a flying machine compared to that!

I appreciate a desktop is what you need for gaming, but i need a budget laptop now more than im bothered about buying something that'l play d3. If the laptop i buy now wont play it, then i'll just buy a tower whenever d3 comes out, that'd probably work out just as expensive as buying a top spec laptop now anyway.

Still- more guesses as to how it'l do are appreciated!

6. Risingred

Well, you could always look at performance/benchmark tests for it. I've had one of those not too long ago and, from experience, I can tell you that onboard chipsets are just awful.
    1. They're throttled by the FSB of your mobo.
    2. They consume system resources unlike a dedicated gpu which has its own memory and that memory runs at its own clock speed (you aren't throttling nor bottlenecking the gpu RAM).
    3. "DX10 support", like in games, doesn't mean much. Just because it can plausibly run DX10 doesn't mean it does it well. You'll have problems, in particular with parallax occlusion and wrapping in older games which consistently create the same artifacts, such as little white dots all over the place.

In some instances the X4500 will out-perform the 8XXXM units but rarely and it isn't close to a replacement to a dedicated graphics card. imo if you are set on a laptop and want to get even close to DX10 then you'd probably want an nVidia 9XXXM or the ATi equivalent for the reasons stated above. I mean, the testing speaks for itself.

edit: found a helpful link. It took me a while to dig it up out of my 9489465 bookmarks. :p
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html
    (This links to an external site which compares benchmark performance tests of various gpus in laptops [XXXXM, XXXXM G] and integrated desktop solutions). Look at #132.

edit2: about Diablo II, older systems will likely run it better, believe it or not, because D2 is not a big fan of Direct3D. It runs best in 3DFX mode in an older operating system or using a glide wrapper.

7. JimOfTheJungle

I linked to that site in my OP! :thumbsup:

What do you guys think to this FX card, at a guess would your think it will fare any better?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-4570.13885.0.html

8. MoonUnit

MoonUnit Diabloii.Net Member

Marginally better.

9. Risingred

/hangs head in shame

I apologize. I'm too quick with my fingers, not quick enough with the old noggin'.
    That is a much more viable card.
    I think it's too close to hazard a guess as to how well it would run D3, though, until they release some actual specs. That's much more in the range of what it will likely want to run on, though. (again, my own speculation/opinion).

What I don't like about that card is that it runs on standard DDR2, and not the GDDR that most graphics cards use. You'll get less oomf out of it.

10. JimOfTheJungle

Cheers for your opinion. And I appreciate its no more than an educated guess at the moment, though I'd rather listen to other people's educated guesses first, which are likely to be nearer the mark than my own, before i decide what to do.

Ive found a system with that card in, 4gb of ram, and a T4300 processor, plus all the other usual stuff for about £450 (im in the UK) which is in my price range, and decent value i think.

As for the type of ram, that site says its can use all three sorts,

"A speciality of the Radeon HD 4570 is the possibility to use ordinary DDR2 and DDR3 graphic memory (as a cheaper alternative to GDDR3). However, cards that use that kind of memory will be slower than others equipped with GDDR RAM"

Although i cant see anywhere on the manufacturers website saying which it is in this machine, as its just stated as, "512MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4570". Guess i'll have to get in touch with the manufacturer to check?

11. Risingred

The laptop manufacturer, yeah. ATi may not know what it takes in whatever system.
    The way they worded it on the website is very confusing, though. I don't quite understand what they mean by the RAM thing; they wrote it as if you could swap out the RAM on the GPU and that just isn't reality.

As for the value, I can't say. I don't know what your market looks like. :(
    Seems like a lot of money, though.

12. JimOfTheJungle

I think its a fair deal more expensive than the US. :rant:

Although to give you an idea of the UK market. Your cheapest laptop is about £300. (celeron dual core, 1gb ram, 160gb HDD) but your top end machines might be around £800-£1500. You can easily spend something like that if you want a good GFX card and top end processor. On that basis i dont think its bad for £450!

13. Raging_Zealot

Raging_Zealot Diablo: IncGamers Member

They probably just mean that card is available with both DDR2 memory as a cheaper option or something, but I agree that it was worded poorly.

14. BigKevSexyMan

BigKevSexyMan Diabloii.Net Member

Well, the think you have to remember about laptops, is that they rarely are running at 100%, do to them running directly off of a battery.