Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Team Abigail: Light the Night!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by caddad, Aug 31, 2006.

1. caddad

caddad IncGamers Member

Team Abigail: Light the Night!

As the majority of you know our daughter was diagnosed with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia when she was 2 years old.

She went through 2 years and 2 months of treatment and as a previous thread by myself indicated has recently been placed on the long-term survivor list.

Anyways, since her diagnosis we've been active in the Cancer community, not only with education and research but also with donations and fundraising. I am also a regular (every 2 weeks) double platelet donar at the local red cross. Every little bit helps.

"Team Abigail" is a byproduct of her struggle and victory and something that our entire family is proud to support!

Light the Night is an annual fundraising event for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society. Teams rally and walk with balloons (white for survivor, red for support) as a united force against blood cancer. A very powerfull experience for me.

This will be our 3rd year walking for "Team Abigail" and every year we set our goals a bit higher and work hard to meet them not just for Abigail, but for any and all blood cancer victims and thier families.

I have asked for and recieved permission to link you to our fundraising site located:
    http://www.active.com/donate/ltnPortla/AbigailsFriends

Feel no obligations or guilt about this fundraiser. I'm fully aware of the rigors of life and what a person can and can't do financially. This post is made to inform and request, not con you.

Feel free to ask any questions about light the night or about the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society if you'd like, I'll do my best to answer them.

Also if you are in the Porltand area on the 22nd of Sept, "Team Abigail" has an open invitation to walk with us.

-D2netDad

2. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Oh yeah, you just want my credit card number...

Seriously though, it's good to hear she's on the long-term survivor list. My best wishes.

3. Camille

Camille IncGamers Member

It's a secure donation, directly to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. You can even donate anonymously. :wink3:

4. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

I have neither money nor credit card so the best I can do is to bump this for you.

*bump*

5. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

I don't have any money for you, atm, but best wishes and prayers, nonetheless.

6. Camille

Camille IncGamers Member

10 days until the walk!

7. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

I'm proud to see one of our own doing so much for such a great cause.

Thank you D2.

8. caddad

caddad IncGamers Member

I'd love to take credit, but Camille is TeamAbigail's organizer, website admin, Team Leader, and overall strength. My job is to pack William around and do whatever else I can while enjoying the experience.

I whore these boards more and am generally more recognized, so I made the initial post.

$0.01 donations on up accepted! Still time to register to come walk with us as well!

*EDIT* All donators will recieve a digitally scanned original drawing//painting//scribble by one of our kids via email! (should you choose to include it in the donation) :D

-D2netDad

9. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

What? That's Abigail? *feels all old* I think I might need my cain to go on that walk.

If I had a credit card I would gladly give, for another year you'll have to settle for my best wishes and possibly any advice about blisters you might get during the walk.

Good to hear and here's hoping for more of the same.

10. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

I'll see if I can squeeze some funds from the family accountant (my wife) and send them in via the prescribed method. Might not be much but, if they accept .01 and up, they're used to small donations.

Good on ya for doing this. I really am glad to hear Abigail is doing well. Those kids are tenacious fighters.

EDIT: Just visited the website. Your daughter is absolutely beautiful. Her picture alone is inspiring. If I were you, I'd be beaming constantly. Congrats on such a cute little girl. Of course, I am obligated to say I think my 1 year old is the cutest little girl alive. :grin:

11. Camille

Camille IncGamers Member

We made our goal! The walk is tomorrow and we are currently sitting at $1,050! :jig: Thanks for the support!

12. Camille

Camille IncGamers Member

The walk went really well! This year they added another, longer walk option rather than the regular 1.8 miles.
    We decided to take longer walk of 2.8 miles and boy was it worth it! We walked from the World Trade Center in downtown Portland, along Naito Parkway and Waterfront Park Promenade, over the Steel bridge, around the Eastbank Esplanade and back over the Hawthorne bridge. It was a beautiful, clear night, not too cool or windy, much improved over the rain we endured last year!

There was a train crossing the Steel bridge while we were (trains cross under the cars, right next to the walkway) so that was pretty neat, if not a bit unnerving because the bridge was shaking so much. Needless to say, William was pretty impressed with it.

The kids did great, Abigail was really happy to have her friend, Haley, walking with us. Despite the colds they both had been fighting off, they walked the whole way without much complaint. William did great, he sat in the stroller the whole way and enjoyed the views.

It was an emotional evening, the most emotional part for me was when they had everyone with red balloons pull their balloons down and everyone with white survivor balloons hold theirs high in the air. I almost lost it when I looked at Abigail with her balloon held high and saw all of the people around her cheering and clapping for her.

I haven't gotten the final totals yet, as we still have a few donations coming in, but so far we have raised $1,695 as a team! There was around 3,000 walkers there and total raised was $295,000, short of their goal of $339,000 so they are still encouraging us to remind people that there is still time to donate! (Just when you thought that I was done for the year.)

Thank you everyone for your support and donations!

13. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

Keep up the good work. While nearly $300K was short of the goal, it's still a lot of money for a good cause.

14. Camille

Camille IncGamers Member

Our personal goal was $1,000 so we ended up $325 over the goal. The goal of the Portland area Leukemia and Lymphoma Society was $339,000, as of Monday they were sittting at $295,000.:wink3:

15. Camille

Camille IncGamers Member

It's once again almost time for the Light the Night walk! I got started a bit late with the fundraising this year but I decided to go ahead and raise my goal to $1,500 anyway. As of this moment, we are up to $325 with 12 days left until the walk!

Visit our website to learn more about our story, walk details, or to make a secure online donation. If nothing else, the slideshow that I made is worth a watch but of course I could be biased. :wink: We encourage anyone in the area to join our team and walk with us!

Thanks in advance!

16. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

i just donated $25 to the link right above this.

17. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Good luck, hope everything goes well, and that our small donations benefit your cause well!

18. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

I was confused at first until I realized that the post was from last year.

The post must have been made when I took a hiatus from the forums last year. Glad I caught it this year.

I'll be clicking the linky to make a donation a little later. This is a great cause and Abigail is an awesome kid. It's amazing to think that she's getting older. Man do I remember all the information during the time she was diagnosed. It's so awesome to see happy endings when happy endings aren't always the end-result.

Wow... all of a suddent I'm sorta feeling old...er.

19. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Count me in!

20. Camille

Camille IncGamers Member

Thank you to everyone for your support! I apologize for the confusion, after the fact I thought to myself that it probably wasn't the best idea to just bump the old post...

The walk is on this Friday and, as of 10:30 this morning, we are sitting at $1,005. It's $495 short of our goal but we still have a couple of days until the walk so I have faith that we will make it!

Abigail is bubbling with excitement over the walk this year, she reminds me every few hours about how much she is looking forward to it.

Now we just need the weather to cooperate, there was a "slight chance of thunderstorms" last I checked. :sad2:

Thanks again!