Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Teachers and free speech

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Anyee, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Teachers and free speech

Is this lady really exercising free speech when she tells her class that she thinks interracial couples should be fixed to keep them from reproducing?

Oh well. Maybe they can replace her with this guy

2. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

No, she's not.

Just as I cannot yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater with the intention to incite a riot, just as former judge Roy Moore did not have the authority to place the 10 Commandments in his former courtroom, this woman does not have free reign to say anything she wants in a classroom as a public employee.

3. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

as a person of mixed race I can honestly say, gee, maybe not existing would be alot easier than suffering "race confusion"

second article is painful... :lol: my side...

4. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I think she was within her rights. But I also think she should have shown restraint.

5. advil

advil IncGamers Member

what munch said.

she abused her position by saying what she did.

6. Ash Housewares

what really bugs me is how she tries to explain it to the kids that people are better off never being born than suffering a mild amount of teasing and confusion

just a ridiculous way to try and justify her perverse opinion

7. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

I agree with Munch. If not legally, this individual has a professional responsibility not to act in such a manner.

8. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Are we talking about interracial relations or abortion? 'Cause I see this one all the time in abortion debates . . .

9. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

When would you see that argument in an abortion debate?

10. P2blr

P2blr IncGamers Member

well, since it was a student who came up to the teacher and asked, they got their answer. So if you don't like people's answers don't ask?

PS, Ash, kick *** avatar

11. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

This is just another of those cases where we really don't know everything. I agree with Mac, here, some restraint may have been in order; but if a child asks your opinion on some matter, should you really have to be this careful in giving it? Or should you lie, and pretend tolerance you really don't feel? The woman's reasons seemed innocent enough in that she doesn't seem a bigot, as much as concerned for the children of such mixed matings.
    Whatever. She's done.

12. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

The impression I received from the article suggested that she tried to cover her views with the excuse of compassion. How is saying that interracial children are "dirty" compassionate?

13. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

It isn't compassionate, by any means. If I were to judge this at all, I'd say she just went too damn far and said stupid things that were best kept hidden inside.
    There are all sorts of horrible thoughts hiding in everyone's head that should never be let out. Most people know that, and manage to keep from offending anyone. Unfortunately this woman went too far, and made a mistake in exactly the wrong place.
    That other guy, though; his mistake was not talking enough. Perhaps if he'd let them know of his defecation intentions ahead of time, they would have hired him.

14. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

All I know is, next time I get turned down for a job I am going to defecate in a diaper and flee on foot. Fantastic links Anyee.

15. th5418

th5418 Banned

o_O she might be stepping over the line like that.

16. piff

piff IncGamers Member

It's most likely in her job description to not preach, even if there is no law against it. She should be fired, at the minimum.

17. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

So where does free speech come into anyhintg...it seems to me that there is no place left that you really have free speech.

i personally don't agree with this teacher...but i do think that free speech is becoming harder and harder to voice.

there was a case in chicago where a firefighter didn't know his radio was on...and everyone in the firedepartment could hear what he was sayijng. he was driving somewhere and some guy--I assume he was lack because of the slur he used--cut him off and started driving really slow...the firefighter 9who was white I assume) started screaming at him and he used the N-word several times.

The fire department in question didn't know what do to with him, so they transferred him to a predominately white area, which oddly, was known ffor it's racial tension, to awate whatever punishment was deemed for him. luckily for him, he could not be fired because that would be in breach of his contract through the fire fighter's union.

this guy made a racial remark that he didn't know was being broadcast and everyone around was asking for his head on a platter...they wante him fired. My question is, where can i or anyone else exercise my right to free speech?

18. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I think she has no right to be a teacher.

19. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

Wanting a guy to be fired surely isn't equal in severity to firing him, Stevinator. The concept of free speech does not include the precondition that you will suffer no criticism from others due to your words.

20. Ash Housewares

you speak of it as if you haven't done it before, this guy was a genious, he had a diaper... wish I'd thought a that