TCP/IP SETUP! Mysterious electron madness!!! Aughhhh!!! if

TCPphail

Diabloii.Net Member
I tried to register the name "TCPfag" as a joke, but I guess that wasn't PC enough.

:coffee:

Anyway I am trying top set up a TCP/IP game for my GF and me, however it always says COULD NOT CONNECT.

We have been able to connect before, however after stopping for a long time and doing other things, it mysteriously stops working.

Here are the tutorials we followed the got it to where we could connect:

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/BEFSR41/DiabloII.htm

For my router. I have a plain hard-line BEFSR41 Linksys. It helps 2 computers in adjacent rooms share. It seems to be working fine now, but again, we can't connect.

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WCG200/DiabloII.htm

Hers however, is a wireless access point. I think it may be the problem. Because her PC was close enough, I hard-wired it today. So she is using a wireless router, but is on the built-in 4 port hub directly now. It still doesn't work.

We played all last night, but it was laggy. The hard wire was meant to help solve this (she had less than 60% signal quality) However, now we cannot connect (again). This happened yesterday too. Somewhere, something is changing on it's own, and I can't figure out what.

We have set our IP's (the ones assigned in the windows control panel) to be static, and tried different numbers. Sitting here in DOS i can ping her external IP. it gives a 22-33ms round-trip time, and 0% loss of packets.

Please cool internet people, help us have our e-machine friendly 2000 year game time!

I am going to post screen caps of my important windows in a bit.

Here is an image with the DOS of a ipconfig /all; and also the windows connection properties box.

Do you all see anything wrong here?

[img=http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.6539cd3dbf.jpg]

My guess is that autoconfig is bad for this. Next i'll take some router snaps.

here are the important router pages.
[img=http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.1ab0305a95.jpg]
[img=http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.32a8196797.jpg]

Im hoping this is useful for to other people int he future also!

Plz&thanks for input!

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian
Re: TCP/IP SETUP! Mysterious electron madness!!! Aughhhh!!!

Turn off windows firewall.

EDIT:
Please don't double post use the multi-quote and edit buttons.

I can host MP games on a wireless machine so that isn't really an issue.

If you have:
* the correct external IP (use whatismyip)
* port 4000 opened
* port 4000/d2 client forwarded to the correct INTERNAL ip addy (the one that comes up when you host a game an pull up your mini map)
* windows firewall off

You should be ok to host

If all else fails Google Hamachi and try that.

TCPphail

Diabloii.Net Member

It's innapropriate and therefore does not belong on these forums.
Which is why I said it wasn't PC enough, dergh! I just thought it was funny okay?

SPAM is allowed then? Unless you want to help, don't thread****.

TCPphail

Diabloii.Net Member

Turn off windows firewall.
Windows firewall is not on. (thanks anyway)

That was actually the first thing I did on both PC's. I also have my antivirus turned off when i test it to make sure it isn't Mcaffe or PC-cillin

TCPphail

Diabloii.Net Member

call the hotline
??? smoke less ??? lol.

Alright, I have NO IDEA what happened, but now my router does not work AT ALL and i can't reset it. I thought I had everything right, and now i am back to square -1. (in order to post this I plugged directly into the modem)

It has all default settings, and so does my router and computer, but it says it can't contact the DNS when I diagnose.

I am getting fed up with all this router crap. eeven when i do exactly what people say, it only works for a few hours before mysteriously stopping or changing. Is it possible to just buy another cable modem and have one next to each PC? (I am on COX) I have a cable line right here...

Small update. router working again (no real reason WHY, I just plugged/unplugged about 100 times until it reset itself, despit eno settings changing it now works WTFKTHX heh)

Last edited:

Gorny

Banned

I think you should take a moment to read the forum rules for this site.

Located here: http://forums.diabloii.net/rules

And for this forum, here: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=495535

You may have thought it was funny but it is not, also please read over this thread, as it concerns multiple postings in a thread, which is viewed as spamming.

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=636785

I understand you are having problems with your comp, but not reading our forum rules is no excuse to break them, nor does it exempt you from them.

You double posted once in this thread and I was kind enough to merge the two posts. Thyiad was kind enough to give you a friendly warning. You double posted again.

Please do not do this again, as you can edit any post of yours for up to one hour.

If you still have any questions after reading those threads, feel free to send me a PM - politely.

TCPphail

Diabloii.Net Member

The first two double posting occurred before the warning. It's not like I shrugged anything off. The name was a joke, and I was pointing out that i found it funny that it wouldn't even let me poke fun at MYSELF. No further discussion was needed, because as you can see, I never argued or requested the name. I am not using it either. Repeating that just makes you come across as a jerk.

I know the rules. I wasn't complaining. I was poking fun at myself. So you can stop thread****tin' now.

So We have figure out how to connect every time, the thing is, it mysteriously stops working, despite all the settings remaining the same. Of course this always happens when neither of us are playing or using the connection. Does anyone know what would be doing this? I have DHCP turned off.

A hard wire solved the lag problem, btw. If anyone else has lag issues, avoid wireless. Diablo 2 doesn't seem to like the tolerances of wireless (which I suppose is not surprising, considering it was published before wireless was even mainstream)

My ipconfig seems to indicate autoconfig is on my connection, but I don't see that anywhere int he router settings. Am I missing something?

Gorny

Banned

I think you should ease up with the jerk part, pointing out the rules is part of what I'm here to do. I did it politely with you too. Stop the swearin and the attitude (even though it's mild), or you will get three days off.

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member

@TCPphail, Gorny is just doing his job. I'm unclear why you even mentioned the TCPFag name in your initial posting, but doing so would have resulted in a response by a mod anyway to clarify the situation. This nothing unusual. Likewise, having a mod step in to remind you not to double post (twice) is equally as normal.

I agree with Gorny that you might want to back off with the attitude, as it certainly will not help your case. If you wish for this thread to remain open and on-topic, then move on.

With regards to your problem, just to verify are you connecting over a local network or the Internet? It sounds like the Internet so I'll run with that. With regards to the autoconfiguration option I wouldn't worry about it much, unless your internal IP address actually changes. If it remains the hard-set one then the problem most likely lies elsewhere.

I'll confess I'm a little confused by some of your postings. In post #9 you mention:

TCPphail said:
So We have figure out how to connect every time, the thing is, it mysteriously stops working, despite all the settings remaining the same. Of course this always happens when neither of us are playing or using the connection
Do you mean "So We have figured out how to connect every time" or "So We have to figure out how to connect every time"? I'm going to assume the latter. If you are able to connect briefly but it stops working every now and then, then the issue might lie with your external IP address, in that it might be changing without you actually having to disconnect//reconnect. When you do lose the connection do either you or your GF have a new IP external address automatically?

The www.portforward.com website only lists the bare minimum to open the ports. It won't list any other configuration inside the modem, such as port triggering or firewalls. I noticed in your screenshot that you appear to have both of those too (I suspect the firewall is under the security tab).

okiimatsu

Diabloii.Net Member

maybe just link the two computers with a single crossover cable and see
if that works? then you can bypass all that router bs.