Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

TCP/IP Non-LAN Blues.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Aedanxxth, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Aedanxxth

Aedanxxth IncGamers Member

TCP/IP Non-LAN Blues.

Greetings,

I’m trying to connect to my friend via TCP/IP.

I’m not connected to a LAN but have 2 IP’s apparently. Diablo reports one and web locaters another so I don’t know if my DSL “Modem†is actually a router. (My ISP people keep referring to it as a modem I swear!)

I have tried to connect without the firewall and at the time we couldn’t connect via Open Battle.net either if this tidbit helps.

Some guidance would be wonderful as I’ve spent the past few hours toying with and finally taking down my firewall after some other site told me to allow port 4000, which didn’t work obviously.

She's on a LAN, I'm nearly positive, but it's the Host that matters for all this Right?

That’s all the info I can think to pass on.

Thanks for any help or even a scratch on the head.

AedanXXth :undecided:

2. herobomberman

herobomberman IncGamers Member

easiest thing i can suggest is both of you download hamachi. google it. its a little proggy that can create virtual lans, you use the ip that diablo gives you for it to work.

if you want to try this route, you can pm me for more details.

3. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

When I got DSL, I specificallly asked if I would be getting a router or a modem. More than once to make sure I was being clear. They assured me it was a modem. Yeah, a router arrived in the mail. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I find http://www.portforward.com to be helpful in configuring routers.

4. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Cat, can we help converting them into hamachi users? I found that software easy to use..

5. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

It really is a modem though. It might provide you with some routing features,
    but it's primary function is still (de)modulation. :tongue:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem

Err... yeah. Cat's answer was still way better than this one...

6. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

The problem with Hamachi is if you don't use it, I don't think you can connect to these users. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong.) The whole point of hosting is so that everyone can join. I don't understand enough about Hamachi to be 100% certain that my files are not accessible by another user. I KNOW if I only set up my router to allow D2 MP, the rest of my HD is safe. Call me paranoid, but I think this is important.
    edit: @Magechick, This is quite good for quickly getting your external IP addy.

7. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

If you ever check you machines IP and you get something like 192.168.X.X then that is strictly an internal network, non-routable IP. (most home use 5 port routers will give you an IP like this) If that's true and someone is trying to get to you externally, they'll need your routers IP.

You can generally log in to your router by typing "https://192.168.1.1" into your browser page. That should bring up your routers log on screen. The default log on is generally admin/password or administrator/password or sometimes admin/<leave password blank> Once you've logged in you should see the IP that your internet provider has given to your router.

I haven't read up on hamachi yet, but I'm good with network set up issues. Not sure if this applies or helps.

8. AJK

AJK IncGamers Member

9. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Well, since Hamachi is a nightmare on the mac, and I use a mac, no I won't help convert people. :wink3: I wish the hamachi users would realize that they are leaving some people out of games.

Edit: @Delreich: I actually specifically asked them is it was just a modem or if it had routing features as well, and was told that it was just a modem. So, yeah, they were dumb. :grin:

10. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Cat, you are making me feel guilty...

:cry:
    :grin:

11. Aedanxxth

Aedanxxth IncGamers Member

Hello all,

Thank you for all the advice. Hamachi did the trick and better than we could have imagined. Download, install and follow the setup pop-up menus and we were connected and bashing carvers in 15 minutes.

I did have to figure out how to turn off file sharing/browsing between the two systems and had to do that though Windows (XP Home and XP Pro) but except for that snag all was easy as could be.

There is a beta version that may address the file sharing/browsing issue but I’m unsure. I’m sorry to hear the program is troublesome for Mac users because this was a quick fix.

Thanks again one and all.

Aedan XXth