Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

TC3 Hunting Tournament - Sign-Up and Running Thread

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by T72on1, Mar 29, 2016.

1. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Welcome to my first little attempt at a tournament: the TC3 Hunting Tournament !!! In this thread players sign-up and talk about hunting TC3s. We had a little pre-tournament discussion about this, and it seems like we'll have 4 participants, but obviously the tournament is open to anyone, and it would be awesome if we would have more people enter.

What is the TC3 Hunting Tournament?

The TC3 Hunting Tournament is a contest where we try to farm as many different TC3 items as possible during a 2 week period, within a maximum amount of time for each character. Score will solely depend on the number of different TC3 items found. This wiki page contains a list of all unique and set TC3 items. All items can be dropped by Normal Andariel (a lot of them even from lower targets), except for the 4 items with a qlvl of >16. If you are seeking for advice to increase your efficiency at tracking down those TC3s, check out the TC3 hunting FAQ draft.

When is the TC3 Hunting Tournament?

Starts on Saturday 2th April at 00:00, ends on Friday 15th April 11:59pm.

Rules and info

1. Areas we run are: all areas up to Normal Halls of the Dead level 3; this includes the Sewers level 1 - 3 and Dry Hills; reason for this is that I want to keep it low-profile, but want to enable the cube, to turn those chipped and flawed topazes into perfect ones ;)

2. Only version 1.13+ of the game.

3. HC or SC

4. Untwinked; muling items from the character to an external stash (GoMule or Atma) is allowed though

5. MP game to reset a map is allowed

6. Player setting is free; no increasing the /p setting just for chests or other poppables though

7. Max amount spent with one character is 15 hours; you can however enter the contest with multiple characters

8. This is just meant as a small, low profile challenge. There are no prizes, except for eternal glory if you manage to find all items one can find within' these areas (20 items); alternatively if all participants want this, I wouldn't mind having a small prize pool from the TC3s we'll find, but that would require for everyone to have a legit trade profile here

9. Every different (e.g. not already found) TC3 item grants you 1 point; readouts of all items can be posted here after the event; in case of a tie, the person who finds the highest total amount of TC3 items, wins

10. Gambling is allowed. TC3 items found while gambling, follow the same rules as TC3 items that drop

11. Reset at Akara is allowed

Scoring

As has already been stated, every different TC3 item grants 1 point. These are all TC3s available:

Tancred's Hobnails, Sander's Paragon and Vidala's Ambush can't drop in the selected areas. Blinkbat's Form can only drop from certain superuniques in act 2, as well as most bosses / champs there. Bane Ash can also drop this item.

Results

In a lot of tournaments there is a supervisor, to whom you can send your results after the tournament period over. Since this is such a low-profile tournament, I suggest all participants just post their result (number of different TC3 items, total number of TC3 items and item readouts (edit: or screen shots)) in this thread, but not until the ending time of the tournament has passed for all participants. So people from Australia and New Zealand will have to wait a bit longer than us Euro people, and those two groups have to wait for people from US and Canada before posting any results :).

Please don't post any info on how many TC3s you have found before the tournament is over, as that would ruin a lot of the fun.

Participants

Aslearr
    Brak
    Fabian
    Gripphon
    hackedagainanda
    NagisaFurukawa
    NanoMist
    Noodle
    Pb_pal
    Silver Moon
    Southpaw8668
    Swamigoon
    T72on1
    Tarantella

Post any suggestions or questions you might have.

Good luck to everyone !!!

PS Post format shamelessly copy / pasted from @Gripphon's Winter 2016 Zodthon.

Edit: results can be found here.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    coju likes this.
  2. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

I will be running a HC Holy Fire Paladin for this.

Tactic will be to rush to the cube in Act 2 as fast as possible, on the highest possible player setting where I still kill fast (given that it is untwinked, this will probably be quite low). Then farm Andariel to gain levels but mostly because she has a very high chance to drop Nagelring. For mf purposes, this is best done on /p1, but if I can get her down fast on a higher player setting as well, that might be the better option to gain some more levels faster.

After that I'll mainly be running Coldcrow on /p1, since she can drop all TC3s up to qlvl 7. I might do some other areas / bosses as well for some of the higher qlvl TC3 items, or because I feel I need to gain some more levels.

Ideally I'll find a Scepter with +Holy Fire early on and Vigor later on (or with both, but that will require quite some luck). Gull on switch would be awesome obviously, as well as 2 Nagelrings. 2os helm and 3os breasplate stuffed with topazes. Boots with frw for sure, extra mf would be nice. Rest of the gear to increase killing speed, and ideally with extra mf. Certainly when running Coldcrow, defensive stats shouldn't really matter. Charms mainly focuses on frw and mf.

That's the theory ... I'll have to see how it turns out in practice ;)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  3. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

Well fine. I can commit 15 hours to this I'm sure :p

I'll be in with a Fire Trapper. My plan will be similar to yours, although more loose. I'm just going to run where I feel like and see what happens. :)

Worth to note as well that Bane Ash in Act 1 can drop Blinkbat's (AFAIK).

EDIT: What about gambling? If we gamble a TC3 does that count towards our score, or only those dropped from monsters?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  4. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Blinkbat's can indeed drop. I just noticed that in the TC3 hunting FAQ I linked to.

Gambling ... I'd be fine with that. Then again, I have never done any low level gambling, so I'm not sure what the odds would be for gambling a TC3. But if the odds aren't too much out of control (we won't have that much gold anyway, right?), it would be fine with me.

Glad to hear you are joining this, @Pb_pal :).

5. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

The gambling odds and 1/2000 for a Unique (.05%) and 2/2000 for a Set (.1%), so not great. Gambled items are lvl = clvl -4/+5, so your best best is to gamble for specific items when your clvl is (qlvl of desired item) +5, to ensure the maximum chance.

As you said, we won't be swimming in gold, and there's a good chance nobody will roll a S/U on a TC3 in that short of a timeframe. Personally, I would allow it as you'll be sinking time into that instead of killing monsters so there shouldn't really be an advantage. My thinking was to gamble daggers for a Gull, but now that I think about it, it's probably not a great use of your time in this circumstance.

6. NanoMist

NanoMist IncGamers Member

Sign me up!

Also, gambling for those TC3's that can't be dropped would be the end game for someone that managed to find everything else before the time limit.

As for my build - leaning toward fire trapper but I haven't ruled out sorceress yet.

7. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Cool !!! I will :).

True. I'll add gambling as 'rule #10'.

8. Silver Moon

Silver Moon IncGamers Member

I'll sign up for sure. I'm thinking a Zeal Paladin might work for me. I can always reset his skills and turn him into a hammerdin somewhere down the road. Glad to be part of this :)

9. Southpaw8668

Southpaw8668 IncGamers Member

I'm also in as well with a Summoner Druid to mix things up. This is the only tournament I've entered where summoned wolves and a poison creeper are viable. [emoji1] Good luck everyone, we're gonna need it!

Edit: The wolves are killing too slowly and lag behind too often. I'm going to enter with a Holy Fire Paladin as well.

Second Edit: Someone mentioned a horking Barbarian. I've got to try this with double swing as his main attack skill, since I won't make it to Frenzy where it would be worthwhile I'll look at maxing Find Item instead to aid my topaz collection. This should be the last time I change my mind. [emoji6]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  10. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

@Silver Moon Cool, I'll add you right away !!! You mention respecs, interesting. I agree, respecs should be allowed. Not sure if you'll reach high enough a level to make a Hammerdin a strong and fast option though.

@Southpaw8668 Nice, I'll add you in a second. I actually thought about the Poison Creeper Druid, could be interesting. Spirit Wolves are worthless in my opinion. Feral Rage adds frw, so that could be interesting.

@helvete provided some tips in the TC3 hunting discussion thread. I'll add them here, in case someone missed them there:

11. Silver Moon

Silver Moon IncGamers Member

^^ I was meaning much later in time after the tournament is over. I am lacking characters and will need a hammerdin one day, so I figured I would use him as a pure zealot for the tournament and respec him in a few months when I have some decent gear. I am excited to start hunting TC3's in a couple days!

Edit: The Auradin seems like a good idea. Although I will stick with Zeal for originality points and also to be the only player not using a fire based skill. My plan is pretty basic: I will run coldcrow, rakanishu, griswold, andariel and then maybe the sewers and repeat. I realize it's not the most time effective way of gathering TC3s, but I like multiple enemies in a row instead of just one. Vigor will come in pretty handy :D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  12. hackedagainanda

hackedagainanda IncGamers Member

Count me in! Holy Fire here we come :)

13. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

@Silver Moon Heh ok, silly of me :oops:. It's a good idea actually, as I still lack a Paladin in my HC collection. I'd better come up with a universal name in that case though, not something like TC_Three ...

I'll still keep the rule of allowing a respec, if that's ok with everyone. Don't really see it being a means to exploit something, or an unfair advantage.

@hackedagainanda Cool !!! Added you to the list. That's 6 people in, still waiting for @Noodle ... :rolleyes:

Btw, I added screenshots as a means to post your results, instead of readouts only.

Less than 39 hours to go (for me) until the tournament ...

14. Tarantella

Tarantella IncGamers Member

Not wishing to sound overly competitive but would the 15 hours start from the time you first click on the game icon or from the first time you leave the Rogue Camp? :)

15. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Neither. From the moment your character is created and enters the Rogue Camp, standing next to Warriv. At least that's my initial reaction, because frankly I had not given it that much thought yet :).

But obviously it doesn't matter that much. If having the 15 hours start only when you leave the Rogue Camp means you join the tournament as well, that's ok with me ;).

Fabian likes this.
  16. Tarantella

Tarantella IncGamers Member

I've never played for 15 hours solid before.

Can I drink as much tea as I like to keep me going? :)

17. Southpaw8668

Southpaw8668 IncGamers Member

You can spread the 15 hours over the entire two week period, just keep a counter going on when you start and stop. 15 hours straight would brutal and unhealthy in my opinion. [emoji37]

18. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

This looks interesting, looking forward to seeing what you get out of this :p Have fun competitors!

19. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Oh, I'm definitely in! I haven't farmed Act 1 with a Holy Fire paladin since the 1.09 days, so I'm looking forward to it. I've added myself to the list in your first post.

20. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

@Tarantella Yes, that 15 hours is the max you can play over a 2 week period. If you want to play more, you can enter with a new character. When I was young, I used to play a lot, but I don't think I've ever played 15 hours straight, not even close. So I take it you're in ? ;):cool:

@Noodle Aha, so you are using your haxor mod powers to invade my post ... ?! Fair enough, and cool you're into this ! I'm gonna edit my post again though: I had put all participants in alphabetical order, and the structured person in me wants to keep it that way, if you don't mind.