- Target Defense % on Champions/Bosses

SelfPossessed

Diabloii.Net Member
- Target Defense % on Champions/Bosses

Note:
With - target defense %, I'm asking about multiple sources. Eth runes, Conviction Aura, Battle Cry, Cloak of Shadows, etc.. If only some of these sources work, I'd like to know as well.

I did a bit of searching before I posted and found a couple of relevance. I'd like to know which ones are right for the 1.11b patch.
- I found two posts done in 2004 (older patches I believe) that said - target defense % works on Champions/Bosses and in PvP at HALF effectiveness.
- However, I found a more current post that said it didn't work on Champions/Bosses at all.

Which is it? Is the half effectiveness only applicable to older patches, or 1.11b as well?

Quick additional question. If I am dual wielding weapons, each socketed with 1 Eth rune, is the - target defense counted twice (-50%) or once per weapon hit?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Arkardo

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: - Target Defense % on Champions/Bosses

-target defense by % on champions/bosses works with half effectiveness, not sure about others players but I think it does the same there. 'Ignores target defense' does not work at all on champions/bosses/players (so basically only normal monsters); you might have confused ITD with -TD%.

Two Eth's on two different weapons are counted once per weapon.

Hope it helps! :thumbsup:

ProfessionalBerg

Diabloii.Net Member

I wonder about this with Conviction -% def :scratch: If it stacks linearly with -% def from item sources like Eth runes, it could mean almost completely negating boss defense. Level 12 Conviction provides -83% enemy defense; -41% vs bosses. Coupled with 4 Eth's, it becomes -91%. I wonder if it works this way.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, they can. And their usually high level still factors into the to hit equation.

Alecz

Diabloii.Net Member

I read in a guide that the Eth runes are bugged. That is the game does not subtract 1/4 of the target defense, but sets the target defense to -25% of their defense.

So for example if a monster (or even a player, boss, etc) has 1000 defense, when hit with a weapon that has an Eth rune their defense would be -250 in the hit equation.

Is this bug fixed or not?

thegiantturtle

Diabloii.Net Member

I read in a guide that the Eth runes are bugged. That is the game does not subtract 1/4 of the target defense, but sets the target defense to -25% of their defense.

So for example if a monster (or even a player, boss, etc) has 1000 defense, when hit with a weapon that has an Eth rune their defense would be -250 in the hit equation.

Is this bug fixed or not?
1) there is a sanity check that sets negative defense to 0.
2) This was patched in 1.10.

nerdly

Diabloii.Net Member

I seem to recall something when looking up info on Grief that ITD does work, but in a diminished capacity, which makes it more like an Eth rune.
Am I remembering wrongly?

ProfessionalBerg

Diabloii.Net Member

That's probably because it has an Eth rune in it :rolleyes:

Against normal monsters, it works just like intended - the target defense is set to 0. Monster level and player level still count in the equation, however.

Against bosses, champions etc. the ITD does not work, and that is where the single Eth rune kicks in - it reduces the boss defense by 12,5% (Eth works at half efficiency vs anything boss).