Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

TAO of Poison for 1.10 Assassin's???

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Minor_Deity, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Minor_Deity

Minor_Deity IncGamers Member

TAO of Poison for 1.10 Assassin's???

Well that was annoying. Thanks squid.:rolleyes:

Ok, lets try this once again.
    I need a little help from the numbers folk out there. Or at least someone better informed than I. Which should include most of the forum.

According to the wonderful 1.10 FAQ by Shade, poison dmg from all sources on an assassin using Venom is limited to the .4 seconds or 10 frames of the Venom skill.

This leads me to my questions. How is this calculated from the old Tao of Poison and is the old Tao still accurate in 1.10 at all?

i.e. From a ranged weapon perspective the old Tao states you add the bite per frame dmg from all sources, which give your total BPF dmg. Then you add the lengths from all sources to get effective length for you total BPF. For melee you average the lengths for effective length.

If this is still the case in 1.10, then by my reckoning you would only calculate your total BPF as above and just multiply it by 10. That would give you the total poison bite dmg your attack will give over the .4 seconds. That would of course also mean there is no difference in poison dmg for a venom assassin between her melee and ranged attack. Is this correct thinking, or that of a deranged beer-swilling drunkard? Urm, I guess those aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive. (hic) :teeth:

2. Minor_Deity

Ooooo nice formatting.:scratch: Ok it's official the squid is definitely toying with me for it's own sick and twisted amusement.

I mean.......
    ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

3. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Ranged poison was bugged, and has been fixed in 1.10.

For Venom, the length is 10 frames, so multiply the BPF dmg by 10 and then divide by 256 to find the total poison dmg. Or you could just divide buy 25.6...

4. Minor_Deity

Thanks RTB!:)

Or darn you for confirming that. :( One or the other, or both. By my calc that means even say a nice little 150poison dmg charm (assuming over 7sec, I can't remember) would only add 8 or so points to the total poison dmg on a Venom attack. Ignoring any other factors, like monster res.

PFFFTTTT!

Ah well.

Edit - Ona related note. Does anyone know the effects of poison length reduction on this skill? i.e. Does 50% length reduction drop it to .2 seconds? Or is there a low end cap on reduction that would prevent this.

5. farting bob

farting bob Banned

ive never heard of a cap on the short time of poison, but im not an expert. but i guess theres no cp, and ince venom has the lowest time of posion effect in the game, it woudl be stupid to cap it in some way that only effects the 1 skill.

6. Minor_Deity

I meant a cap already in place. Say if it calc's for 50% of a 5 second poison length where would it round and how? Dividing by 2 even in frames doesn't come out clean. How about 1 sec? Does it drop it to 12 frames or 13? Or as I asked might it ignore under a certain amount(length). Since as you said, nothing was ever in game before with a duration as short as Venom it seems a legitimate question.

7. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

50% poison length would drop it to 5 frames, and 75% (the cap) to 2 frames. In case of fractions the game rounds down (actually it calculates almost purely with integers, with an occasional left shift for 'fractions') 99% of the time, so it should round down results here as well.

farting bob: It's best to always cap things off, so that unwanted amounts never cause problems. I suspect that 1 frame is the minimum, since 0 frames means it doesn't do dmg at all.

8. Minor_Deity

Thanks again RTB.:worship:

*goes back to drawing board*

9. Starving Poet

Starving Poet Member

keep in mind that for time based attacks that the precision is actually far greater than 1/25. 1/25th is actually calculated as 41/1024.