Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tankazon woes

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Thynqikan, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Thynqikan

Thynqikan IncGamers Member

Tankazon woes

I decided to try a Tankazon, and she did well until she got to the Flayers in act 3. They shoot shoot shoot and I found my Tankazon was stuck in dodge animations while trying to tank. They cant kill her, but she cant kill them. I switched from the hellplague sword to a Lord's cinquedeas and she "suddenly" kicks **EDITED BY DACAR** and is about to kill Diablo.
    Her gear at level 29:

25-75 dmg cinquedeas ( was hellplague )
    Rattlecage plate armor
    "Rhyme" decent blocking shield
    Tearhaunch greaves
    String of Ears belt
    couple of life leech rings

Here is the woe...she is basically a daggerzon now and I wanted to play a "Tankazon" with a sword and shield but I found it so unplayable i had to switch.
    Any comments or should I just proceed as a daggerzon using passives only and be content that she can at least play now?
    Thanks all for the advice.

Thynqikan

2. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

You might want to lvl up a bit... Put lots of points into dex. It adds damage, AR and block rate. Very convenient, no? Max Inner Sight with, or perhaps max Penetrate with Blessed Aim merc. Get lots of crushing blow, it will probably be your main source of damage. Get lots of IAS. Try and get Fleshripper. Either that or some kind of freakishly godly rare (cruel grinding fanged knife of quickness of Amplify Damage).

3. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Rhyme is a decent shield. I have used it to finish off hell before. But I would also suggest to level up a bit more and then try the sword and shield set up again. Try to find a decent sword. Switch out one of those rings for a revenfrost. It adds dex (damage) and AR. Plus the nice CBF mod. Mahim-Oak Curio would also add dex giving you +30 to dex with those two items.

Also, please watch the language here. I edited your post.

4. Thynqikan

Dacar: sorry about that.
    Thanks for the advice. I have several swords that can be used including an "oath" cyrptic sword, frostwind and some other uniques. I may give it another try again and think the oath is a good candidate, but it cant be used until she is well into her 60's so I might make an oath in a rune sword to test it, and If I dont like it I will go back to dagger since I got a fleshripper recently.

Thynqikan

5. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Shaeled Fleshripper + Guillaman's Face + high block shield will pretty much get you through hell.

If you do insist on using a sword, I recommend you get the fastest blocking shield you can get, possibly even socket it for more FBR.

6. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Just to clear up some possibly misleading advice in this thread, Dexterity increases your damage when using a dagger (or Javelin or Bow), Strength increases your damage with a sword. It's an either/or situation here as you can't have both, just bare this in mind. Also remember that an Amazon weilding a sword has a very slow block recovery (some call this a bug, I prefer to think of it as an idiosyncracy of the build), so having a high levels of Dex can get you into trouble with the fast moving denizens of Hell, my Zon has 66%(?) block and I don't have problems. Make up your AR with charms.

Flayers: Yes, those pesky little buggers can be a problem if you are inexperienced, but they (and all other ranged attackers you will come across) are actually quite easy once you know how. First you need to cast a Decoy ahead of you to divert their fire for long enough to cast Slow Missiles. Once you have done this take it to 'em and show them your War Face (YYYYAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!). Also, a kind of hidden bonus comes with Fortitude in that any missile must first pass the Chilling Armour which means no constant Avoiding issues.

You may want to consider using Passion as your weapon and to become a Palazon. I swear that this weapon was designed especially for Amazons as, unlike any other character class, every single mod is put to use and is actually useful. It gives crowd control in the form of Howl (Hit Causes Flee) and Zeal, a small boost from a Heart of Wolverine, and immunity from Iron Maiden when you use Berserk. I can tell you from extensive experience that an Amazon is more effective with Berserk than a Barbarian (0% Defence means nothing when you have almost 60% Dodge :p ).

The new runewords have given massive scope to the general Tankazon build in terms of equipment and Mercenary selection (so much so that my guide has been postponed many, many times lol ) as well as enabling the Amazon, for the first time, to have a caster build that is also strong in hand-to-hand combat against immunes. So don't let me dicourage you from using Oath, the HoW and Iron Golem will be extremely useful for you (just don't make eth...)

You have three choices of Mercenary to hire.

A Rogue has Inner Sight which will increase your effective AR by lowering the enemies defences. If you choose a Rogue there is simply no bow choice other than Faith. In my experience the Fanatacism Aura from Faith is not as good as you want it to be, but it still gives a decent bonus.

Blessed Aim is also an extremely useful Merc to hire which will, again, increase your AR. If you choose this Merc you can arm him with Last Wish or Pride for Might or Concentration Auras respectively.

The best merc you can hire, however, in terms of damage output is, of course, the Mighty Merc. Arm him with Pride and you will be doing about as much damage as you ever will when solo. You could also give him Doom which won't actually increase your damage but will slow things down a bit (I have never felt the need but thought I should point out the option).

My Palazon is currently lvl 97 and has used a sword since she found a cracked short sword on the Blood Moor at lvl 2. The only time she doesn't use a sword is on switch where she has Gimmershreds (and Medusa's Gaze) which give a tactical advantage over Physical Immune Mana Burners (like Ghosts) that you can't Berserk.

Sera Braveblade
    lvl 97

70% Kira's Guardian (Sheal'd)
    1/48/175/35/245 (?) Seraph's Hymn (Highlord is also good if you can make up the +Skills (to get a 5 hit Zeal) elsewhere)
    Passion Cryptic Sword (a Scourge is a slightly better option with the inherent 50% ed to Undead but it's soooo fugly)
    Fortitude Balrog Skin (before I could afford Fortitude I used both +2 Valour and Duress, CoH is also an option)
    Pdiamond Stormshield
    Laying of Hands
    5% BK Ring
    Verdungo (stashing the String of Ears with it's Life Leech was a hard decision, but in the end the +Vit from Verdungo won out)
    Carrion Wind (to max Poison Resist and give another cool minion and life leech)
    Gore Riders
    Annihilus

I play on Asia where runes are prohibitively expensive so my Mighty Merc is wearing Levi, Bonehew and...I forget his helm. Sera was not rushed and played the entire game only skipping cows. This is not a run-kill-run type of build, it requires some tactics in order to be successful, like what I said about the Flayers, but once you figure it out it is most enjoyable. She is also not as low damage as some people tend to think, in a full party recently I had a 6.6k Berserk.

7. JanusJones

JanusJones IncGamers Member

Amen about Passion, friend! Why do people forget this truly wonderful weapon for odd builds? A suggestion though - stick it in a Phase Blade for the speed - you won't regret it. Also, as far as gloves are concerned - I would suggest ditching the Laying of Hands for the glorious, and indispensible, Dracul's Grasp. Lvl 5 Lifetap on hit will save your character a thousand times over! The Life Leech, Open Wounds, and other modifiers will just be icing on the cake.

Question: does Dex really help Javelin damage? Has anyone thought about a "glass cannon" Tankazon with Passion in a nice spear? Fend is buggier than Zeal, and if you dumped enough into passive defense skills it might work . . .

Plus, you could actually make a Fury Zon that way with a backup skill for immunes. Fury wouldn't be a central skill, but with a nice Zon spear it could do reasonable damage and have Zeal for leeching, crowds, and immunes.

8. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

You could make a Lightning Spearazon with Zeal/Beserk for LIs. If you're going to use a spear you might as well use some spear skills. And personally I'd make Passion in a Cryptic or Conquest sword. You don't lose too much speed, and you get more damage for Beserk. Passion Phase blade is for elemental damage users, like Enchantresses or assassin with Venom.

9. Thynqikan

Again, thanks all for the information.
    Making a passion for the physical immunes was definitely in my plan, and while I would prefer a cryptic sword I currently dont have one and do have a 4 socket phase blade..so likely will just use that.

Thynqikan

10. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Believe me, if you make Passion in a Phase Blade you WILL regret it. Last season a friend loaned me his PB Passion that he was using on his Sorc so I could compare to my Cryptic Sword and there was no comparison at all. Okay, speed is nice, but my damage dropped dramatically to the point that my max damage (after charms etc) was was about 500 lower than with the Cryptic. His PB was near perfect and my Cryptic was average. For an Enchantress, yeh, sure, go the PB (though a Sorc cannot make use of Passion in the same way a Zon can, Kingslayer is more suited to Sorcs), but for the Zon go Cryptic all the way. Aside from anything else it's sexy as hell. Again, it is ugly as hell but, a Scourge is actually the best weapon to use due to the inherent 50% damage to Undead.

If you have a look at my equipment you should see why Laying of Hands is essential and Dracul's Grasp is useless. This build has no natural offensive skills, and the oSkills she has are not very powerful and cannot be pumped beyond about level 10 so you cannot rely on skills to increase damage. 350% damage to Demons is absolutely essential. At level 62(?) you will be killing Demons slowly, but at level 63(?), when you can equip LoH, you will see your kill speed increase significantly because, when battling Demons, LoH makes your 210%ed weapon a 560%ed killing machine. LoH is also the only source for IAS. You will see a similar kill speed increase when you equip Fortitude or Chains of Honour. If you feel the need you can also use Gravepalm again undead for similar results. Dracul's Grasp is not of much use to you for the simple reason that if you need the Life Tap then your Zon has failed. By the time you can equip Dracul's it should be a very rare occassion when you take any damage at all, let alone enough to need Life Tap, and the Open Wounds is no substitute for 350% Damage to Demons.

In my guide to the Armies of Athulua, I have included a build for a Spearazon that replaces Fend with Zeal and uses those spare points to pump Passives. For the purposes of differentiating between different set-ups this is the build I call a Tankazon - heavily armoured, heavy damage (from Impale). All the other builds are usually called Battlemaids (after Battlemaid Sarina). The Paladins long ago did away with the silly convention of naming their builds (Zealadin, Vengeadin, FoHdin, Convictadin etc...) and gave them proper names (with that one exception...), I see no reason why we Amazons cannot do the same. I'm thinking I might just finish up the Palazon section in the near future as a stand-alone guide, because the entire thing is taking way too long to come out. That will still be a little while though because I am going to be very busy for the next 6 weeks.