Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tankazon weapon choice

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by GodObelisk, Sep 18, 2006.

1. GodObelisk

GodObelisk IncGamers Member

Tankazon weapon choice

I'm in the process of building a tankazon, i will be using passion rw. However i'm indecisive abt the weapon choice to make passion in.

I wanted to make passion in a 2handed weapon. These are my choices
    1. Giant Thresher
    2. Shillelagh

I could not get the weapon base speed from Arreat Summit. I would like to know the base speed of weapon(2) for ama.

Also which is the better choice (1) or (2)?

Thanks for any help.

2. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

Considering the enormous str/dex differential, I think the answer depends on the rest of the gear you plan to use. With the staff, you might save 100+ points in Str alone. Is this HC or SC? Some of the 2-h swords would also be good choices.

I would go with the staff, and save lots of points for vitality. It makes a nice whacking sound.

3. GodObelisk

I'm aware of the hugh str/dex difference there. I more to Shillelagh, but could not find the weapon speed for Shillelagh on Arreat summit. For Giant thresher base speed for ama is [0]. How abt Shillelagh, anyone know?

This is for sc, will move to hc depending on whether ladder reset.

4. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

dont use a sword, zons have a penalty for swung weapons. why no shield though? Shillelagh = [0] all staves are 0, 10, and 20...except the ones that only get 2 os.

i always thought that a melee zon would use a dagger, dont they get a hidden speed bonus for stabby (not swingy) weapons? much like the druid bonus on big crushy things.

5. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

What is this penalty? Are you referring to 2-handed swung weapons?

With 1-handed swung weapons (plus shield), amazons have terrible block recovery. You can reduce this problem by restricting your attacks to monsters hitting the valk. Or avoid it entirely by using a 2-handed weapon.

I've had success both ways, with one zon using a "Black" Knout + shield, and another using a 2-handed sword.

@GodObelisk-- Since you're playing SC, you might as well keep the STR high for extra damage. Assuming both weapons swing at the same base speed, the shillelagh does better avg damage and extra undead damage.
    However it has a poor range (2) vs. the polearm (5), so you might need to pick your angles carefully to avoid attracting monsters away from the valk.

6. GodObelisk

I dun know abt the sword swing penatly. Care to explain.

I din wan to go sword/shield. Party becos of the block recovery. Also cos i dun like sword on zon.

Daggerzon not my cup of tea either. Too cookie cutter for me. I'm trying something not so cookie cutter, and wan my zon to look unique. Tats why going 2-handed.

Guess i'm going more for shillelagh if both hv the same base speed. Felt tat the extra 100 over stats from str/dex is not worth the range 5 in PvM.

Asking the zon experts here, shillelagh & Giant thresher passion on zon. Which is faster?

-gobly

7. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

I'm not a zon expert, but since both are 2handed swinging weapons, and both are base 0, they should be the same speed. Try this weapon speed calculator, it's very nice and intuitive.

8. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

Yes. do check the calculator.

However, the weapon base speed is based on the weapon class, so [0] for one weapon class is not the same speed as a [0] for another weapon class - think of bows vs crossbows as an extreme example. It turns out the Gthresher is slightly faster.

As for "bonuses" or "penalties" to one class or the other based on weapon used. I think the point is that some classes have good bp speeds based on weapon class - druids and many two-handers, while others have worse blocking - Ama blocking with non-thrusting two-handers, and palys have worse FHR with spears/staves - check it out in the Facts and Formulae compendium in the drop down menu at the top of this page or here.

You say that you don't want cookie cutter, but there is a guide that may be of some use in the stickies. Sokar has posted numerous times on this build, and he knows what he is talking about. Perhaps his experience could be helpful. Check it out here.

Good luck,
    DudSpud

9. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

The "penalty" is the 17 frame base block rate with swinging weapons and a shield, such as swords and axes. Daggers are thrusting weapons, so have the 5 frame base block rate, the same as javelins.

the GThresher has a base speed of [-10], where as the Shillelagh is [0]. They are both regarded as 2handed swinging weapons, so the game will treat the animations the same. A Great Poleaxe, speed [0], would swing at the same speed as a Shillelagh, Giant Thresher being slightly faster.

It's entirely up to you, but i'd go with the Shillelagh, for style points, and much more flexibility with stat points.

10. GodObelisk

@quietus: Thanks for the link to the calculator. Solves the weapon speed issue for my zon. Good resource for all chars and all weapons. Now i know G.Thresher[-10] is slightly faster than Shillelagh[0]

@DudSpud: I hv read abt Sokar's guide on his palazon. It reminds me to the fact that zeal need to be up at lv5 to be efficient. I have to re-think on the gear wise. Initially i intend to build a 2-handed tankazon using zeal as main attack, together with some ctc gears. This way, while zealing, i would get to see some fireworks from ctc. Ok back to re-think re-think re-think.

@Eilo: The upped ribcracker made me to consider Shillelagh, simply due to its low lv & low stats requirement, as well as style:thumbsup:

-gobly