Tankazon Tourney revisited

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
Select said:
Sheesha has passed away. . .

lvl 17 she died while taking on a multi shot tainted in Act I along with a LE shaman that her rogue archer kept shooting so all that lighting dmg did her in...was sad she was rockin everything till then. . .

last WP: Inner cloister
Farthest area: Cata lvl 1
no uniques/sets found.
Rest in Peace Sheesha may your deeds of valor be remembered.

Thats a tough break Select most of the time my merc does me in when I play too. Reasons to play with out a merc.

Looks like you found some nice stuff for starting out though good gaming.

Select

Diabloii.Net Member
Bone Bite
Kris
One-Hand Damage: 2 to 18
Durability: 10 of 24
Required Dexterity: 45
Required Level: 4
Dagger Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 17
Fingerprint: 0xe1d83e4f
+46% Enhanced Damage
+35 to Attack Rating
+2 to Maximum Damage
4% Life stolen per hit
5% Chance to cast Level 1 Amplify Damage on striking

thats my pride and joy of sheesha lol. daggers really help out with block speed cause its the same animation of javs. but it did a lot of dmg :p.. gambled it so I was stoked.

RIP. good luck all.

madmaxxam

Diabloii.Net Member
Quick update. What did I name my tanky again?... I think it's like this:

Minerva: Level 26
Last Quest Completed: Act 2, quest 6.

It's funny, Minerva beats Act 2 at level 26. Lupin from the low lvl random tourney beat Normal baal at level 23, and is currently level 24, having cleared out all of Act1 hell except Andy. I think that I'm going to go with a low dex build with Minerva, ultra high defense, something like:

Skills: 20 valk, 20 inner sight, 5 each crit, dodge, evade, and avoid. 1 in everything else, and then pump where I need.
Merc: Act 2 defensive: Defiance aura.
Stats: Pump str, vit, ignore rest.

If I can get inner sight to maybe lvl 27 I shouldn't need much AR to hit most anything. If I stick with the defiance merc and pump strength to about 150, I can hopefully get the defense to a point where monsters have a low % chance to hit, combined with dodging to not need much shield block. Right now though I'm just supporting my merc, and letting him catch up in levels. As soon as I find a good, high damage weapon I'll start killing more. My merc is rocking right now on /players 8 though. No trouble or NDE's through act 2. No outstanding finds either. I'm hoping to get more than 1500 defense by the end of normal difficulty, and 6000 by the end of NM. These numbers should keep me safe if I manage to maintain resists. Good luck all.

zatlaren

Diabloii.Net Member
WhackEm has been busy.

Played Act 3 all the way on players 8. Got my valk part way through and as expected she tanks about 100 times better than me. I found a second Cathan Seal to give me 12% leech though I did have to swap out a rare ring with some nice resists. I decided that more leech would be better than some resists. I did keep the ring though for specific uses.

Durance 3 entrance was a bit tricky. Had blood lords and the council come at me together. Breem and a unique bloodlord together made some fun. I managed to lure both packs to the stairs then ran past them to be dealt with later. Mephisto was pretty easy though a long fight at players 8. I had to resummon the valk a lot of times but he spent almost the entire fight foused on her. Did have to return to town once to raise my merc when he switched to him. Dropped some crappy rares none of use to me. Cleared out the rest of the level then onto act 4.

Act 4 players 8 up to the river of flame way point. Nothing much special though I did get some impressive valk tanking action. She tanked Izual on players 8 and lost no health at all. That fight too forever. In the river of flame I got trapped with Hepisto and some Udar. I had to use 4 health potions tanking him till there was some space to get out. Again the valk didn't loose any health tanking him.

The chaos santuary scared me so I switched to players 1. It was fairly easy at this setting. I loaded up all my resist gear for diablo got 75 fire and lighting. I still needed 2 trips to town to raise the merc and restock on potions. And he dropped the Immortal Kings Will.

WhackEm Level 34
Location Harrogath

madmaxxam

Diabloii.Net Member
Page 2?!?! Anyway, a quick update.

CName: Minerva
CLvl: 29
Currently: Pandemonium Fortress.

Act 3 was a lot of fun, mostly because I found a rare maul from one of the flesh worms way at the beginning of the act that comes out of the dark wanderer. Not great, but definately good, ed, cold damage, AR, and a couple other things. I of course immediately equipped that, and started bashing my way through the act. What was really nice is that I had Sander's gloves waiting for me at level 28, with their 20% IAS :uhhuh: After that, I ran around bashing things fairly quickly with over 100 average damage. I think I became as efficient as my merc at killing things, even more so. Meph dropped me some nice rares (and didn't stand a chance), and now I'm ready for act 4. I'll probably be using my maul for a while, it can probably get me past baal without much of a problem. Of course, I can hope for a better weapon.

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, now that the World Series is over, I'm ready to waste some free time with a new HC challenge. I haven't played D2 since I made guardian, along with jiansonz, in the last Tankazon tornament a few months ago. I know jiansonz has his hands full in the ThreeWay tourney, so I'll pick up the torch and attempt to defend our titles.

To keep things interesting for me, I'll need to try a variant unlike my previous zon. Previously, I used a flail/dagger zon with occasional use of "The Scalper" unique throwing axe. All my weapons were equipped with a shield. I used runeword items including "Smoke", "Rhyme" and "Black", which were critical for her build. I used crafted gloves, and an Act 3 cold merc.

With that in mind, my new zon will be much different:

1. Two-handed weapons 98% of the time.
2. Use of throwing weapons/shield restricted for rare circumstances.
3. Full clears, no repeats of areas/boss runs
4. No runewords
5. No crafted items
6. No merchant shopping (except for 3-socket ring mails from Charsi)
7. Gambling restricted to circlets
8. Fast and loose playing style, at least through Normal. I intend to recklessly charge my foes, so I better find some leeching gear along the way.

My goal is to reach Act 3 Nightmare. Obviously I'm going to endure much more damage without a shield, and lose an important source of resists. I think both those factors will be fatal in Hell. I doubt a two-hand zon is viable in 1.10 Hell, without constant hiding behind a valk and exercising more restraint and patience than I'm capable of.

But I can't resist trying... so here goes nothing!

Also, I am open for suggestions as to how to proceed with this build.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Insane Wayne said:
I know jiansonz has his hands full in the ThreeWay tourney, so I'll pick up the torch and attempt to defend our titles.
Not to mention Low-Level Random and Weaponless as well...

Insane Wayne said:
With that in mind, my new zon will be much different:

1. Two-handed weapons 98% of the time.
2. Use of throwing weapons/shield restricted for rare circumstances.
3. Full clears, no repeats of areas/boss runs
4. No runewords
5. No crafted items
6. No merchant shopping (except for 3-socket ring mails from Charsi)
7. Gambling restricted to circlets
8. Fast and loose playing style, at least through Normal. I intend to recklessly charge my foes, so I better find some leeching gear along the way.
Yikes! That is SOME restrictions. But I think you should allow yourself to gamble weapons, too. that would make her (and the merc) a lot more viable.

If I had been in this tourney, I would have used your restrictions 1-3 (and maybe 8 :lol: ) but allowed myself runewords, crafting, shopping, gambling and instead, skipped Valkyrie and Decoy).

Now that I think about it, you´ve made me curious. :uhhuh: Hmmm...

Insane Wayne said:
My goal is to reach Act 3 Nightmare. Obviously I'm going to endure much more damage without a shield, and lose an important source of resists. I think both those factors will be fatal in Hell. I doubt a two-hand zon is viable in 1.10 Hell, without constant hiding behind a valk and exercising more restraint and patience than I'm capable of.
That´s it! The gauntlet has been thrown!

From her resting place since a couple of years, a tired figure arises. She hears the challenge call her, she can´t resist it, she doesn´t even WANT to fight it. "Not Hell viable! I´ll show those insolent &%#(/&%_ers!".

But she´s old, a tired, battle-scarred veteran. However, her spirit is young and she has some major powers. Without hesitation, her spirit moves across the land and she promptly possesses a young athletic woman in a village nearby Tristram.

"Sapphidia is ready for 1.10, but is 1.10 ready for Sapphidia!?"

1. Full clears, no repeats of areas/boss runs. Park no monsters whatsoever.
2. Get STR 35, DEX 27 as fast as possible and buy a Two-Handed Sword. From this moment on, a two-handed sword is always in one of the weapon slots.
3. A Throwing weapon + shield may be used on the switch. But that is ONLY to be used under very special circumstances. Anything that is possible to defeat with her sword, she will.
4. Hire a Fire Rogue at level 7. This is her one and only companion through the game.
5. No runeworded weapons other than two-handed swords and merc bows allowed (so no 'Black' this time...)
6. NO Decoy and NO Valkyrie.

Insane Wayne said:
But I can't resist trying... so here goes nothing!

Neither can I... :lol:

Good Luck!

I hope to give you a good match. But we´ll probably be "pwned" by all the unrestricted amazons with their mighty Valkyries...

xxarcherxx

Diabloii.Net Member
NoBowsForMe
Level 19
Farthest Area: Inner Cloister
Last WP: Inner Cloister
Last Quest: Malus

Forget Steel, I gambled a nice rare Broad Sword that would be MUCH better thatn anything Steel I could make. Everything has been pretty easy so far, even on P8. My progress is like a snail's pace compared to everyone elses. But slow and steady wins the..... tournament, I guess.
Also, it's nice to see the defending champs give it another shot. However, the restrictions look absolutely crazy. Jiansonz, I don't know if you have a chance to get through Nightmare without a Valkyrie.
Anyways, good luck on your challenge.

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz said:
That´s it! The gauntlet has been thrown!
Was it Sigon's gauntlet? I'm gonna need that back if I try this without at least a decoy! I can see the allure though, it's a very romantic style of play, as opposed to the technical, sensible approach of using a maxed valk.

I agree the valk is overpowered if you max her early while playing at p8. From levels 24-64 I maxed decoy and valk and rode that train all the way to Hell Difficulty with few problems. Once I made it through the moderate difficulties of Act 2 and 3 Normal, progress was easier in the valk's wake.

jiansonz said:
4. Hire a Fire Rogue at level 7. This is her one and only companion through the game.
Fire rogue?! Aren't we doomed enough already? :lol: What is the strategy for the rogue? Monster Flee? How about a Defiance or HF merc at least?

jiansonz said:
I hope to give you a good match. But we´ll probably be "pwned" by all the unrestricted amazons with their mighty Valkyries...
Yes, we'll get our butts kicked. I'm going to suffer Valkyrie Withdrawal Syndrome.

I agree with xxarcherxx. I can't imagine getting past Act 5 NM, if even that far. Any random archer pack could be a quick death, without even a decoy to take the first volley. *smacks head* hmmm... forgot about "Slow Missiles" (never actually used it). Even still, I'm skeptical about making Conqueror. On the plus side, no more annoying valkyrie grunting!

Okay, I'm game. You've raised the bar. I can see that runewords will be absolutely necessary here. I smell Smoke. Gotta get that Lum rune. I think a Life Tap item would be mandatory as well. Is that allowed? Are you using specifcally "Two-Handed Swords", or any of the larger swords?

zatlaren

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow you guys sure like a challenge.

WhackEm has been progressing through Act 5. Having gotten some decent resist to fire the imps were not a problem. All the areas up to the Crystaline Passage were cleared easily. Rescued Anya then did Pindleskin and Nilithaks area. I finally changed my axe for a rare flamerge that does some better damage. My problem is that my AR is only 400 odd so I miss alot. Also found some Sparking Mail that went into the stash. I am not sure if I will be needing it in NM so I decided to keep it for now and decide later. Nilithak was a major pain. Due to his running like a scaled cat I cleared all the other sides first then went after him. In the end he didn't far so I wouldn't have had a problem. But he was so hard to kill. I attacked him all the time but he would spawn an Ice Boar and my merc and the valk would turn to it. No sooner had they killed that and he spawned another. It was very slow progress and I had to return to town to restock on potions twice. In the end he fell and my reward for that was a Dol Rune :clap:

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Insane Wayne said:
Was it Sigon's gauntlet? I'm gonna need that back if I try this without at least a decoy!
Yes, the Sigon´s gloves + one more Sigon´s item combo is definately worth considering. It´s funny, the Sigon´s boots/belt/gloves are so common, you can almost count on finding them.

Insane Wayne said:
I agree the valk is overpowered if you max her early while playing at p8.
Tell me about it. Even though I deliberatly kept mine crippled (for MF reasons), she still tanked very well through NM (I had high level Decoy). And thanks to her, Brynhilde was actually never in any real danger anywhere in the game. (well, maybe during that horrific start in Forgotten Tower level 5, if I had been a little less careful).

Insane Wayne said:
Fire rogue?! Aren't we doomed enough already? :lol: What is the strategy for the rogue? Monster Flee? How about a Defiance or HF merc at least?
I don´t know about strategy. I´ll come up with something...
As for the merc type, that is a no-brainer. The character build is taken from an SPF member. Changing merc type is not an option for me.

Insane Wayne said:
I agree with xxarcherxx. I can't imagine getting past Act 5 NM, if even that far. Any random archer pack could be a quick death, without even a decoy to take the first volley. *smacks head* hmmm... forgot about "Slow Missiles" (never actually used it). Even still, I'm skeptical about making Conqueror. On the plus side, no more annoying valkyrie grunting!
Considering I went all the way to NM Ancients with a staff-using, no-merc, no-gloves, only light boots/armor amazon, I am convinced the build is powerful enough to reach Hell. The question is: can I survive? Not easy to predict, because the build I am making has far less points over for Vitality.

(BTW, staves suck as weapons. The are slow, can´t have any normal +% ED (other than up to +60% on crafted Hitpower ones and inherent +% ED on some of the uniques), meaning very little life steal. What kept me going was a Shael-ed near-perfect Arcing Jo Staff and a crafted Gothic Staff that had Cruel damage vs. undead).

Insane Wayne said:
Okay, I'm game. You've raised the bar. I can see that runewords will be absolutely necessary here. I smell Smoke. Gotta get that Lum rune. I think a Life Tap item would be mandatory as well. Is that allowed? Are you using specifcally "Two-Handed Swords", or any of the larger swords?
Any two-handed sword. Sapphidia has her eyes on the Zweihander at the end of Normal. If she can get through it on /p8 (which is a big if), that still leaves her with over 80 points for vitality. I will hoard any +life charm that has at least +10 per inventory space...

As for the Life Tap, I will allow it for myself (from throwing daggers only) against NM Ancients. Then we´ll see after that.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
@Freekje:

The rules say that we are not allowed to mule on anything to our amazons. Does that include items that were muled off earlier by that character? Is the "mule off" line only there to tell us we can stash items we want to keep for other characters, or can we use ATMA as an extended stash?

This makes a big difference for me.

Freekje

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, I think it would be ok if we all would be able to use ATMA as an extended stash, so you can mule items back on that are muled off before.

Till now, I have not used ATMA with my character, and I think I won't, but it's ok to do it.

EDIT: Little update:

I have come to the point where I was forced to drop out last tournament. Diablo normal. I slayed all his minions, but I was too afraid to try to beat diablo, so I went to town and saved and exited... I first want to gain some more levels before I slay him.

Royal_Guardian, lvl 26
Last Quest: Hellforge quest (Got me an Ith rune)
Last WP: River of Flame

I made a stealth splint mail that I am now using. Found nothing really exciting.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Freekje said:
Well, I think it would be ok if we all would be able to use ATMA as an extended stash, so you can mule items back on that are muled off before.

Till now, I have not used ATMA with my character, and I think I won't, but it's ok to do it.
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! :clap:

If Sapphidia wasn´t such a proud and stuck-up woman, she would have covered you with big, sloppy kisses! :lol:

Weehaa! NO rune cubing just to save space (and then you suddenly realize you don´t have a freakin´ Eld when you need it!). NO gem wasting, NO crafting bottleneck just because you sold too many crappy jewels, NO premature (before clvl 24) ring/amulet cubing, NO wasting gold because the vendor can´t afford the full price for an item (and thus NO qualms of gambling a b*ttload of Circlets in act 2), NO cool set item combinations missed because you didn´t have space for them and finally NO problems with saving non-magical items in the intention of maybe socketing them later.

This will be fun... :thumbsup:

Freekje

Diabloii.Net Member
And here it is again, just a copy of the last tankazon tournament:

I died AGAIN to the hands of Diablo. I think I am just too reckless for HC :lol:
This time I can laugh about it. I died exactly the same way as last time :uhhuh: Maybe I should change my strategy :idea:

So, I am out of the tournament, but I will keep following it and maybe give a total update of all players...

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
:hanky:

Ack! The Pink Flamethrower of Doom claimed another victim. Normal Diablo is not a nice fellow.

You must not be quick enough with those rejuves, eh?

Good thing that you can laugh about it.

zatlaren

Diabloii.Net Member
I assumed you meant once an item is moved off the character to Atma that you can't moved it back. Thats the way I have been playing. I have been selling all my excess gems, only keeping topaz and diamonds. Kept all runes so far though. I may well keep playing it this way.

madmaxxam

Diabloii.Net Member
Freekje said:
And here it is again, just a copy of the last tankazon tournament:

I died AGAIN to the hands of Diablo. I think I am just too reckless for HC :lol:
This time I can laugh about it. I died exactly the same way as last time :uhhuh: Maybe I should change my strategy :idea:

So, I am out of the tournament, but I will keep following it and maybe give a total update of all players...
RIP. Minerva has recently cleared out Act 4, and killed Diablo, who was very tough. I anticipate NM D being easier, since his best attack will be useless against a tanker. Because of my high damage weapon, he didn't take too long to go down, but he kept me swallowing pots the whole time, and making many trips back to town. Also, I had a valk spawn with %amp, so I was trying to keep her alive as well.

Izzy was a fun experience. Since I was still on /players 8 when I found him, I decided that I didn't want to sit there and hold the mouse button down for 5 minutes. Instead, after I was secure in the fact that he was attacking my valk, I took a rubber band, attached to mouse, and watched Minerva bash him without my input :lol: Amusingly, my maul broke on the same hit that killed Izzy.

No great new finds to report.

Character: Minerva
CLvl: 32
Currently: Chilling in Harrogath.

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
madmaxxam said:
Instead, after I was secure in the fact that he was attacking my valk, I took a rubber band, attached to mouse, and watched Minerva bash him without my input :lol: Amusingly, my maul broke on the same hit that killed Izzy.
Nice work! I usually lay a dictionary on my mouse, but your method is better. I've noticed that my weapons seem to break on the final, lethal hit quite often. I believe that it's coded into the game, because it happens way too often to be a coincidence. I'm too lazy to repair my gear often, especially in Act 3 with that long boring stroll to Hratli.