Tankazon Tourney revisited

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
JicamaEater said:
Playing without a Valkyrie isn't that much harder, in my opinion. Of course, I never reached that level in this tournament...
It makes an enormous difference later, especially if you don´t have Decoy or a tanking merc either.
Brynhilde was never in danger on her way to Guardian, but the choice of merc and the luck with his gear was a big factor in my success there.

JicamaEater said:
Valkyrie can't kill for you.
Yes she can. It just takes a while. Or rather, she will tank for the merc so he/she can kill without being killed.

JicamaEater said:
It will die for you instead.
A maxed Valkyrie backed up with maxed Decoy hardly ever dies. Her life regeneration is insane.
In the first Tankazon tourney, I think mine died about 4 times in Hell. Even Ancients couldn´t get her below half max. life, and Talic was Extra Strong!

JicamaEater said:
I think we're all busy right now. jiansonz has to go and finish his TWD or I'll never have another shot at that tourney! ;)
Yeah, problem is, I think they are too easy right now, and with two players making triple Guardians, I kind of lost my drive. Of course, my builds are a little less powerful.

I have a lot of tourney characters to finish:
* TWD (3 of them)
* Planner´s Delight (2 of them)
* Mostly Naked
* Low-level Random
* Randomly Challenged
* Alphabet
* Rare Pleasures
* Survival II
* A Quick Tournament
* Point of No Repair
* Weaponless
* Mastery Sorc (not really IN the tournament, but still)

Overcommitted? Probably...

I also have a naked all-Vitality (MeteOrb-to-be) sorc (don´t remember if she´s in a tournament). Furthermore, I have started Gymnasia, the naked Amazon (seige made me do it) and I am very tempted to begin an exhibition S/U worshipper necromancer.

Insane Wayne

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh my. Sapphidia bites the dust. :eek:
My condolences. Stupid bats! Blizzard had a good laugh when they beefed up the verminous bats, blood hawks, and other tiny creepies. At least it's better to die from a bat than a quill rat! Oh well, we both had a good run here. I sure learned a lot. The swordmistress is definitely a viable build. I agree with your comments on the valkyrie. More than any item or skill, a valk makes a zon's life easier and safer by miles. Excluding valk/decoy was a tough challenge.

Yep, your path to the Ancients was open if you could've survived that last temple. Stairtraps in the Act 5 caves are much rarer than in Act 3 Temples.

Disused Reliquary, eh? That's a tough map. It's likely to contain an entrance room pack, and impossible to bottleneck. But the lure of the Temples is irresistible, both for the treasure and the difficulty. My characters aren't complete without having cleared the Temples. How can I simply run past some of the best challenges the game has to offer? They're quick, deadly, and satisfying to clear, more so than the False Tombs which I personally find to be tedious if I lack corpse disposal.

jiansonz said:
I know the lack of CBF could come and bite Sapphidia at any time. She never saw that ability during her career. Not even a Rhyme has been within her grasp. The only Shael she ever found was desperately needed in Mahala´s bow.
Yup. Your lack of CBF is lamentable. My prime concern for melee characters is CBF. Being chilled is miserable. There's no escape from rapid cold hits. Too bad you couldn't cube another Shael. It's tough though. Sols are also valuable. Your rune luck certainly had highs and lows.
You crafted an awesome Passion sword, but couldn't find/cube another Shael.

jiansonz said:
Furthermore, I have started Gymnasia, the naked Amazon (seige made me do it)
Huh?! Will you be maxing Critical Strike for extra punching power? :uhhuh:
Excellent name choice.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Insane Wayne said:
Yup. Your lack of CBF is lamentable. My prime concern for melee characters is CBF. Being chilled is miserable. There's no escape from rapid cold hits. Too bad you couldn't cube another Shael. It's tough though. Sols are also valuable. Your rune luck certainly had highs and lows.
You crafted an awesome Passion sword, but couldn't find/cube another Shael.
Don´t forget that I had a Terror shield (which is a large factor I could get to mid act 2 Hell). You can´t combine that with a Rhyme if you use a 2h-sword. :uhhuh:

It never even occured to me to switch to the shield. I mean, I thought I was on the verge of escaping the death trap. It sure felt less dangerous than the dreadful Upper Kurast temple with the Beast and the vampires.

But CBF from somewhere else would probably have saved Sapphidia. The Spirit Shoud, Raven Frost, Cham rune in Twitchthoe :D , whatever...

Insane Wayne said:
Huh?! Will you be maxing Critical Strike for extra punching power? :uhhuh:
Maybe to boost the damage for the valk. This will be a pure Valkazon if there ever was one!

JicamaEater

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz said:
It makes an enormous difference later, especially if you don´t have Decoy or a tanking merc either.
Brynhilde was never in danger on her way to Guardian, but the choice of merc and the luck with his gear was a big factor in my success there.
I feel like I know a lot about Amazons, until Hell. I have never gotten there with an Amazon, and my experiences in Nightmare sure seemed to indicate that it was a convenience most of the time. Obviously when you want to stay away from FE's and such then it gets infinitely more important. But you almost made it just fine. :thumbsup:

Yes she can. It just takes a while. Or rather, she will tank for the merc so he/she can kill without being killed.

A maxed Valkyrie backed up with maxed Decoy hardly ever dies. Her life regeneration is insane.
In the first Tankazon tourney, I think mine died about 4 times in Hell. Even Ancients couldn´t get her below half max. life, and Talic was Extra Strong!
I was aware of this, I saw it on my spearazon when I had to task Elly to kill NM Corpsefire. But I thought I had a catchy phrase there. Valkyrie damage is not all that fantastic, but its life is 100% unbelievable.

I have a lot of tourney characters to finish:
* TWD (3 of them)
* Planner´s Delight (2 of them)
* Mostly Naked
* Low-level Random
* Randomly Challenged
* Alphabet
* Rare Pleasures
* Survival II
* A Quick Tournament
* Point of No Repair
* Weaponless
* Mastery Sorc (not really IN the tournament, but still)
I had this funny idea, at one point, that I would try and play for a Septavirate, but already I just have so many characters in other stuff that it will NEVER happen. The fact is, I find tournaments to be more challenging, more compelling, and I get the best chances to brag about myself. I don't think of myself as an egotist, but the main reason I come here is to recount my exploits in the world of Sanctuary. Period. Since I don't play as much as I'd like I end up talking about a lot of other stuff.:lol: I have a tourney idea that's not already been done (unless I wasn't here when it happened) that I keep telling myself will be brought out as soon as the tourney landscape cools down. It never will, I'm afraid, since the TWD alone is enough of a side project for most people, and it steals people who play in lots of tournaments time like no other. Obviously it's not just waiting on one person but when everybody is moving very slowly (and how can you not in such a tournament) it just drags on forever...

Greyeagle

Diabloii.Net Member
Sure go and die now, just as you were getting me back into it. :) Good run, and exiting posts.

I was away from DII for some time and assumed this tourney was long over. However, I saw some of your recent posts and decided to take IronEagle out for a test drive again.

IronEagle
Level: 75
Area: Just finished Hell Countess. (and got didly)

p.s. The Valk can kill in Hell at P1, especially when you give the merc an amp damage bow.

Greyeagle

Diabloii.Net Member
I know most all consider this tourney complete, and I agree. Heck I don't feel like I even played the same tournament as J. I'll finish the character out howerver, and continue posting in this thread.

Cleared from the countess out to half of the barracks. The pit was useless as far as drops of interest to me were concerned.

Killing is slow, but I'm okay with slow. Resurrecting enemies are handled by drawing out the flunkies and casting the Valk on top of the resurrecting enemy. Slow, and sometimes hard when there are multiple groups but it has worked so far.

I had my first NDE for this very safe character. You know you're testing your character too much when you decide to melee at the edge of the fight when you have amp damage cast on you. I didn't see any red in the bubble after the hit, but a quick rejuv and I was headed back to town to get that curse off.

With max block, good d/a/e it is easy to get the wrong impression of this characters durability. Not many hits get through which makes you think you can take a lot. However, those that get through hurt. Of course, maybe I should devote more stats/equipment to life. I only have 750 currently.

I also got a little concerned when a near death FE archer ran my way to get away from the Valk. I ran the other way as fast as I could.

Is the IK maul an uncommon find? That has been my only noticeable find recently.

Also been playing with headstriker a bit lately. Boy, swords are no fun when blocking with an Amazon.

GreyEagle
Level 76
Hell Barracks

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Greyeagle said:
Of course, maybe I should devote more stats/equipment to life. I only have 750 currently.
750 is certainly not much in Hell. I usually start Hell with over 900 life, even with casters.

Greyeagle said:
Is the IK maul an uncommon find? That has been my only noticeable find recently.
I would say that the IK maul is one of the most common elite set items. The TC is pretty high, but you´ve got a 20% chance of an Ogre Maul if you roll that particular weapon TC. Then you still have to roll Set quality, of course...

Greyeagle said:
Also been playing with headstriker a bit lately. Boy, swords are no fun when blocking with an Amazon.
Yep, daggers or 2h-weapons are the ways to go in this tourney if you intend your amazon to fight a lot herself. In the first Tankazon tourney, I used a 'Black' Knout. My amazon only fought herself against some bosses, and only when the fighting situation was stable (valk took all the damage) so I didn´t have to suffer many hits at all. The Corpse Explosion charges was a great (but expensive) tool in some areas.