Tank Sorc plan... see if it work?

garilario

Diabloii.Net Member
Tank Sorc plan... see if it work?

Well here's just a plan. It seems work on paper bt I haven't tried it yet. And I prefer to write it like a guide since it's easier to both write and read.

Intro:
Here is a sorc relying on maxed ES and block in order to sit inside mobs chatting. While still doing some kill.

Early game planning:

1-10
Item:
Get a Hellforge hammer and melee(well, shot with some ice bolts)
Skill:
Get Frozen Armor, preq of FO dump rest in warmth
Stat:
45 base str at lv11, rest to energy or save them up
Some dex for blocking if you feed comfortable

11-Mid game
Item:
Cathan's Ring x2 + Cathan's Ammy for 20str and fire damage
Full set Sigon's
Skill:
1 Shiver Armor, preq of FO, rest in warmth
(I don't need more than 1 in SA since I want chill but not damage. + skill will take care of the def.)
Stat:
45 base str, some dex for block(don't put too much as you may not use a shield mid-game), rest in energy or save them up
and melee!(well...cast some spells)

Mid game planning:
Item:
Use +9ES staff once it is avalible(Memory runeword from +3 ES, +at least 1 tele staff....almost get it), with tk charge ring.
And whatever spellcaster items avalible. e.g. Frosties, +mana items, +skills, fast cast etc
However, you may still melee wih sigon's set and put the staff in second weapon slot.(not recommended)

Skill:
By the time you get FO, you should have maxed warmth. It's not a waste, you need it AND a large mana pool for ES to work
Pump FO max and CM around 10(I feel lv10 comfortable at this stage, come back after you fiished other skills)

Stat:
Str enough for equip, rest in energy, not sure if we need vit(none if tweaked since you'll end up 95% resist everything)

Late game

Take off your tk ring and go max es(anyway, 40 after item), then 10tk

Get a shield to block(Whistan Guard for me)

Str for equip, dex for block, vit if needed, rest in energy

End game:

Head:
Shako
Life is never bad, get some.
Mana is good, thank you!
+2 all skill? ya I need it!

Hands:
HotO + Whistan Guard
2nd +9 ES memory staff(only for casting ES)

Gloves:
Frosties?

Boots:
Silkweaves?

others:
up to you

Note. With maxed warmth, you don't need more mana regen. Additional mana works better.

Stat:
With enough str and dex, everything else should go to energy

Skill:

20 Warmth
20 FO
10 CM
20 ES
10 TK
1 in each of IB, IB2, FN, GS, Bliz, CB, L, CL, Tele

totally 89 points, (almost)complete at lv78, 76 if you ignore the armors

At this point, I'd put those leftover points evenly in CM and TK until CM at 150% after +skill and items. Then everything into TK.

Playstyle Guild:(end game)

Tele into a mob, sit there and chat with your teammates. Throw a FO or two if you feel comfortable.
 

IMCL85

Diabloii.Net Member
hehe this can be fun. But I doubt it would work tho. Tank sor = Dead sor just that easy formula :)
 

Zarhrezz

Diabloii.Net Member
The idea is nice, but you won't be able to generate enough mana to stand a chance in melee while having max block and sufficient strength for gear. My base vit, base dex, 111 str ES sorc (who did solo 3p hell) had around 2400 mana. If you have to put 150 or so points into dex, you'll lose around 650 mana. That's 1/4th your total. Imagine what that does to your regen/sec, aside from taking down your tanking power by a 4th.
Also you'll die instantly to each and every Mana Burn group you teleport into. You'll have around 350 life, maybe a bit more. Teleport into a Mana Burn group and I give you 10 frames, top. The fact that you have no source of life replenishing doesn't help much.

If you want to tank melee, forget about spending points on ES, put 20 in TK, 1 in Teleport and get +9 ES from Memory staff and further enhance it with +skills, but forget slvl 40 ES. Build a character with max block, good resists and life and supplement that with ES (that's what my Enchantress is doing).
 

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
MAX 95% resists help too ;) -> Wizzy, Guardian Angel and some more res-stuff.
EDIT: Infact Max-Res with 95% will help you alot more against any kind of elemental damage than the absorbing through Energy shield with help of Telekinesis ever could.


95% resist with some MDR will leave but a little scratch that you dont even notice on your Sorc. For the rest -> HIGH Life, HIGH-Def, max-block! Done.
 

garilario

Diabloii.Net Member
will the game calculate es first or block first?

and ya.... i know mana burn hurts but that's life :)

This most interesting thing with this build is i can get away with -70%resist all. I wanna have fun with that. You know es get calculated before resist right?(feature or bug, whatever....)

As for tanking, I think 75% blocking does help more than the loss of mana. Gotta do more research...

TK vs Warmth... another looooong calculation

thx for your advices :)
 

Zarhrezz

Diabloii.Net Member
garilario said:
will the game calculate es first or block first?

and ya.... i know mana burn hurts but that's life :)

This most interesting thing with this build is i can get away with -70%resist all. I wanna have fun with that. You know es get calculated before resist right?(feature or bug, whatever....)

As for tanking, I think 75% blocking does help more than the loss of mana. Gotta do more research...

TK vs Warmth... another looooong calculation

thx for your advices :)
With Mephista (see the guide mentioned above) I did all of hell with -55% resist all. Only reason it wasn't -80% is Mara's (I couldn't find an Arch-Angel's Amulet with a useful second mod).
Block is calculated before ES, so against physical attacks pressure on mana is low. TK vs Warmth isn't a long calculation at all, since you'll always lose mana way too quickly to regenerate it even with Warmth 20 unless you have TK 20.
"I know mana burn hurts but that's life"....no, that's death if you rely on ES and PDR/MDR. Instantly. Teleporting into a minion group with a build that cannot survive their beating without ES up is suicide, since you'll have to assume ES will be gone the second you land in their midst. That's why you need at least 75% resist all, max block and 600+ life if you want to deal with melee with a sorceress. ES will lengthen your tanking time to near-infinite and pretty much nullify the effect of Amplify Damage and the likes while you're fighting non-mana burners. Against mana burners, you're about the weakest melee character available.
 

IMCL85

Diabloii.Net Member
melianor said:
MAX 95% resists help too ;) -> Wizzy, Guardian Angel and some more res-stuff.
EDIT: Infact Max-Res with 95% will help you alot more against any kind of elemental damage than the absorbing through Energy shield with help of Telekinesis ever could.


95% resist with some MDR will leave but a little scratch that you dont even notice on your Sorc. For the rest -> HIGH Life, HIGH-Def, max-block! Done.
and how many + skill and mf item does he have to throw away just for obtaining 95% resists all. Beside whats the reason we use sor lol mf ofcourse.

as an example you can see the chart I made below
normally use - need 95%
occy-wizzy (lose 3 skill)
ire or tal-gardian angel (lose 1 skill if you using ire and 130+ mf )
goldwrap-tgod(lose 30%mf)
liddless,ss or rhym-mosserwith 2 perfect diamonds(lose 1skill, dr resis, mf and resis)
wt-waterwalk(lose 30-50% mf)

ok so far just this I forgot if there any item add max poison and cold resis :(
 

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
IMCL85 said:
and how many + skill and mf item does he have to throw away just for obtaining 95% resists all. Beside whats the reason we use sor lol mf ofcourse.

as an example you can see the chart I made below
normally use - need 95%
occy-wizzy (lose 3 skill)
ire or tal-gardian angel (lose 1 skill if you using ire and 130+ mf )
goldwrap-tgod(lose 30%mf)
liddless,ss or rhym-mosserwith 2 perfect diamonds(lose 1skill, dr resis, mf and resis)
wt-waterwalk(lose 30-50% mf)

ok so far just this I forgot if there any item add max poison and cold resis :(
Sure IMCL85, but that is not the point of this build. The point is to be able to stand in the monstercrowd, chat and not die :p, if you followed the build more closely ;)
 

garilario

Diabloii.Net Member
Got a new idea... Could Lighting work? That saves up a lot of skill points that I could put into LM and syn. This needs Rainbow jewel to work though...(Maybe with creset moon runeword, but that sacrifice lots of mods.)
 

Zarhrezz

Diabloii.Net Member
garilario said:
Got a new idea... Could Lighting work? That saves up a lot of skill points that I could put into LM and syn. This needs Rainbow jewel to work though...(Maybe with creset moon runeword, but that sacrifice lots of mods.)
The idea of maxing block and ES and tanking things won't work, no matter what skill you choose to kill with. The reasons why the basic idea will only get you killed real quick haven't changed.
 

Sigus

Diabloii.Net Member
My tank has max mana-shield, telek and only 10 in warmth. With only a few items (occy, CoH etc) warmth is in the 20's and works fine. I never die :clap:
 
Top