Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tank Merc

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Ali Babarian, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Ali Babarian

Ali Babarian IncGamers Member

Tank Merc

I made a FrozenOrb Sorceress for Hell Meph runs (and only Hell Meph runs). My Act 2 Defiance Merc rarely survives, even when I feed him potions. I need a tank merc so I can sweetspot my Frozen Orbs on Mephisto. My Defiance Merc has:

Ethereal Shaftstop
    Kelpie Snare
    Duskdeep (Good helms don't drop for me)

But he dies pretty quickly and then I end up wasting ages dodging Meph's attacks, and I have to pay 30,000 gold to get him resurrected.

How can I make my Merc survive? I was thinking perhaps give him a 3 socketed Helm with Orts and Thuls in it, but I don't want to waste my Orts and Thuls on an idea that might not work. I also thought of getting a Barbarian merc instead because they're probably tankier (and apparently they can Bash/Stun so perhaps Meph will get stunlocked and be unable to hit?).

2. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

Re: Tank Merc

30000k gold, what level is the merc, and you for that matter?

Personally I'd do a few things

1) if i was making a sorc to kill mephi and just mephi I'd go blizzard, but FO should be good too.

2) Seeing as you aren't using an Insight I think you could just get more pewpew on the merc:
    Treachery is a wonderful merc armour, especially if you pop it into a 3os ebugged armour
    Otherwise Duriels / Smoke - depending on the mercs resistances
    Obedience would speed things up somewhat killing wise
    Tals mask / Vamp gaze / Andys helm are all pretty good depending on budget.

3) if it really costing you just 30k to res the merc, I'd level him (and maybe you) up somewhat.

4) use static if you aren't already doing so: tele on mephi, static to 50%, retreat to sweet spot range and FOrb if that's what you want to do :).

3. Ali Babarian

Merc's level 64, I'm level 66. I've got more than enough firepower to quickly kill Meph if he'd just stand still, but he won't cause he's got no reason to once my merc dies.

I don't see why Treachery is good - looks like an Assassin item to me?
    I DO see why Smoke is good, but I'm not sure it will be much better than my Eth Shaftstop (30% Damage Reduction + 1000 defense).

I've discovered if I teleport on top of Meph, instead of waiting for Meph to come to me, he does more melee combat instead of his (much deadlier) casting. Is this definite or am I imagining it?

4. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

level 64 merc is the main problem :)

Treachery rocks because:
    45 IAS = fast attacks for merc so more dmg / cb / leech (tho not vs mephi)
    ctc level 15 fade = 60 res all + 15% PDR for 288 seconds
    20 FHR
    Plus Venom adds some damage :)
    You can make Treachery in an ebugged armour with 1000+ defence pretty cheaply as most ppl consider ebugged 3os armours as "failed" 4os ones. That said, you could/should upgrade the ETH shaftstop if possible.

tho my guess is the main problem is both you and your merc are a tad low - ofc it is doable, but level 64 merc vs mephi will only have 1 winner.

If you are quest bugging mephi, then Pits / Ancient tunnels etc will give you some good exp, especially if u join Baal / Diablo full games, once you can safely do it.

5. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Level to +80 and come back then.

6. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Yeah I'd recommend sitting in on Chaos and Baal games till you're around L80, that'll be +16 to all res for your merc once he's 80 too, which should help. If you cant get to Chaos/Baal because you're q-bugging Meph, then I'd respec to CL/FO or Orbitaller and level up in Pits, and then switch back to pure FO when you're higher.

If you're only going to ever run hell meph with this char, merc leech is pointless. I'd go with Blackhorns on the helm for 95% slow with Kelpies. I've used it before and its S-I-C-K SICK. 95% is IIRC the cap on Hit Slows Target

Likewise, I'd swap Defiance for a HF merc for even more slow when it triggers. The extra def does little good vs Meph's elemental damage, and he's the most caster-ly of the act bosses. HF will slow down his casting animations.

HF+Blackhorns+Kelpies makes boss fights look like a scene from The Matrix. They look like animated gifs that are loading too slow, you just see them click one frame at a time :)

And +1 to Treachery for the armor. The CtC Fade when Struck wont be as useful to you, since you're just going to be TPing straight to Meph, and the chances of your merc proccing early enough in the fight to matter are pretty low. What is going to be useful is the huge 45 IAS, which will mean his aura will activate a lot sooner, and he'll get his slowing blow in faster. And, if Fade triggers, then he's pretty much set for the rest of the fight.

Another option for armor would be an upped/doubleupped Rattlecage or ebugged Duress for some CB.

7. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Basically what they said. My fav combo is reaper's toll, treachery and guill's face on a HF merc. He tends to spam attacks when he's not slowed, so some form of slow is definitely recommended. And get to level 75 at least.

8. Ali Babarian

With regards to leveling, I shall do that in the Ancient Tunnels where there are no Cold Immunes. I get about half a level worth of exp for each full clear and possibly some nice drops since it's alvl 85.

I gave my Merc Tal's Face and he seems to be dying a BIT less now vs Meph.

Does Holy Freeze stack with the slow from my Frozen Orbs, and the slow from Kelpie Snare?

9. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

You can't slow those act bosses (Meph) at all with Holy Freeze aura. So it's useless aura against Meph.

10. Ali Babarian

I read somewhere that Slow Target only slows movement speed - not casting speed or attack speed? Is this true?

I also read that the DR% from Shaftstop will be useless because it only reduces the boss's "damage bonus vs mercs", is this true?

I got Shako and Tal's Amulet and Sandstorm Trek and a Buriza already, I'm pretty happy. Pity none of those will help my Merc...

11. droid

droid IncGamers Member

DH you sure? I cant seem to find much info one way or another on the Google, but I was pretty sure act bosses do get hit by HF. If not, then I guess Prayer would be the way to go then for your merc...it'd give both you and him a little regen, though not as much as an Insight Prayer merc of course.

HST, Chill (cold damage), and HF are all independent and stackable sources of slow, though I think they all share the same 95% cap - maybe not though

HST does affect attack and casting animation speeds for act bosses, meaning they fire off much fewer attacks/spells per time...that much I can vouch for from much personal experience :)

12. Ali Babarian

I tested the effects of Holy Freeze on (normal) meph with my Frost Zealot. He was not slowed, he didn't even go blue.

I gave the same Frost Zealot my non-eth Kelpie Snare and I have confirmed Slow Target does indeed work on bosses. But it seems true that it is capped at 50% (I assume "per item", but I only have weapons to test with).

I switched my Merc for BA so that he could actually hit Meph (Defiance had less than 30% chance to hit) - slowing Meph by 50% seems more valuable than having Meph with 70% chance to hit as opposed to 85%.

13. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

For example in
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771952&highlight=holy+freeze+bosses

onderduiker said:
    Holy Freeze does not slow down Act bosses in any of their incarnations; it also doesn't slow down monsters with 0 chill effectiveness, which in Hell include Bone Fetishes, Willowisps, Wraiths, Talic and Korlic (among others).

Since how much HF slows monsters depends on their chill effectiveness, it might be useful to know, for example, that since all Blood Lords (Frenzytaurs) in Hell have 0-20 chill effectiveness (and all but Night Lords have 0-10), HF will do little or nothing to slow them down... unlike alternatives like Decrepify or Slows Target.