Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tals Set Good For Blizzard Sorc?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by MastaLocust, Apr 4, 2004.

1. MastaLocust

MastaLocust IncGamers Member

Tals Set Good For Blizzard Sorc?

Is Tal Rashas Set Good For Blizzard Sorc?

2. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

imho, no. i see them die too much, and they're too fragile to tp through worldstone.

they get a lot of offense, but they have a hard time living long enough to use it.

3. Stormcryer

Stormcryer IncGamers Member

I have to disagree a bit Superhal. With all the added bonuses that the set offers in + skills, res, casting, etc, I think the tal set is quite good for any sorc build.

I use the set in my blizz/cl/meteor archmage and it works just great. I do agree that in some builds the set may not be as strong, but these builds are usually stat point mistakes, (no max block for example), and not skill points related.

BTW that archmage I just mentioned finished soloing hell toniight. While baal didn't fall down on his kness and beg for mercy, he went down easily enough and neither my merc or I died in attempt. It was the same for the ancients as well. I didn't TP through the Worldstone, I quested it...killed every thing on all levels. I did build in max block and am using a uped viser and defiance merc that right now is putting out enough defiance to take my def up to 7200 (numbers are approxiate - 1600 base def, doubled by shiver armor, and then doubled again by defiance). His def is a staggering 12500 thanks to an eth glad bane that I Mfed the other day.

Would I use the Tal set without max block, no way. I agree with Superhal that it would not provide the high end def needed to be viable in hell. But with max block, a good shield, and a defiance merc, the tal set works.

Storm

4. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

This is utter nonsense. Why would a Blizzard sorc wearing Tal Rasha be fragile? My Meteorb sorc wears Tal Rasha, and I have no problem teleporting through Worldstone Keep. Being Meteorb or Blizzard has nothing to do with that.

And as for a sorc being fragile, they may have a bad bargain with Vita stat points, but there are other ways to make your character more durable. This is why I always stress the importance of max block. My level 95 sorc has no trouble in WSK, she even runs Baal for MF and she never dies.

5. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

It's decent, but far from the best.

6. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

True, very true, if you see it damage wise. I find the extra resistance, the extra life and the mf% to be worth it. I know there are other equipements that give more +skill and thus more damage, but the overall bonusses are very good.

And when you speak from a fire-based sorc's point of view it tops or at least equals the top of the line sorc gear. For a cold sorc there are of course better equipements that give more damage output.

7. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

On Topic:
    For a pure Blizz-Sorc i would not use Tal's set. Tal's set is good for 2-tree builds or Tri-elementalists.

:lol: What is NOT defense with providing all this?
    25% Faster Hit Recovery
    +150 To Life
    All Resistances +50
    +50 Defense vs. Missile
    +150 Defense

+77 To Mana
    +57 To Life
    +10 To Energy

All Resistances +15
    +45 Defense
    +30 To Mana
    +60 To Life

+400 Defense
    Requirements -60%
    Magic Damage Reduced By 15
    Cold Resist +40%
    Lightning Resist +40%
    Fire Resist +40%

+30 To Mana
    +20 To Dexterity

Lightning Resist +33%
    Adds 3-32 Lightning Damage
    +42 To Mana
    +50 To Life

??? If a Tal's build is dieing then the player must be doing something seriously wrong. Getting max res is possible and also have enough fcr for Worldstone Keep.

8. Superhal

i don't know why they are dying, but they are. in fact, i can count on 1 hand the tal's sorcs i've seen who are a) willing to tp to baal and b) able to do it.

i'm guessing here (i don't have one yet, missing armor/ammy) that:
    1. they are using energy shield with no tk
    2. don't have max block (very likely as they all seem to use lidless)
    3. don't have max resist
    4. don't have absorbs
    5. less than 63% fcr

9. melianor

If they have Lidless they will have enough FCR.
    For Telebaal you dont need maxblock if you are with a group... just the most FCR you can get + maxed Lightning res.

The will possibly not have absorb, other than maybe coming from rings. But nothing like TGods.

Resists could be the tag and bad teleporting :)

ES, hmmm dunno havent seen any with Tal's set using ES until now.
    I can tele nicely down to Baal with Tal's on. Tal's is also more nice for Soloing, due to the -xx% res. With the -xx% you even beat a setup having +3 more +skills than with Tal's in terms of damage.

10. Superhal

i've seen a lot of maxxed lighting res sorcs die with no absorb. being with a group is irrelevant, as they don't accompany the tele'r to the throneroom.

i've tried the "stick to the wall" technique, but the main rationale (boss packs generate in the middle of the hall) isn't true. i've tp'd into many boss packs that were stuck to the wall, where max block/shiver armor/fcr saved me.

solo is a lot easier than p8. my low vit sorc can do it as well, with negative resists, 40% blocking (because of lidless) and low-tk (@5?) energy shield.

My success rate in p8 is around 98%, i die about 1 in 50 mostly because of lag. the only "legit" kills i've had, imho, are a) when there are 50+ blowgun flayers on the screen, not firing at the same time, keeping me in block lock for a strong group to beat me up, b) when i think the portal is safe, but it's not, so i try to tank what's there and even then, only 20+ witches will kill me, or c) poison/conviction bosses. i wish there was poison absorb. :(

this goes to 100% if i get a decent (over 75%) BO.

11. melianor

I meant Teleporting down there in 8-player games with Tal's set on. Thats what we have been talkting about, right? 1-player games is ofcourse easier...

12. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

If you have 63 fcr and just keep down your mouse button you'll have to have awfully bad luck if a monster is ever to hit you. And you can get a better combination of mf + resist + damage than tal's set, but that'll be more expensive........