Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Taking up and documenting the SP experience

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Talman, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Talman

Talman IncGamers Member

Hi guys,

I'm new to this section because I only ever used the forums for trading in 2007 - 2008. That was back when I played Softcore on Europe servers. As a new player I got taken under the wing of two guys who knew about these forums and not much later we all became members. It was them also, mainly Adam (BoD Trader) that got me into Hardcore by joining Op Gauss. I had the most fun ever in Diablo II playing in and later helping moderate that joyous community. There I also had a little side quest climbing the Classic Hardcore ladder with a Javazon, also very great times.

When Diablo III came out I gave it many chances, but it never called me back like D2 (still does), you all know the feeling.

For years after playing actively I kept and updated a sheet as a little mathematical project that calculates Mana Regeneration in Diablo 2. I made this because my main character used to always be a Wind Druid on which I liked to use a Sanctuary Act 5 mercenary. I hate being limited to Insight for merc weapon, so this helped me 'theorycraft' a little bit what I needed to be able to get comfortably rid of it. Some periods I put a great deal of energy in the document and over the years I called it 'The Meaning of Mana' :p. I'll link it below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FHB54wkM_5jVDsbJxv2vw6acaQP-DAFVTTGo34HAlGE/edit?usp=sharing

There's probably some errors with Battle Orders etc., but nearly all of the times I used it, the values were correct. Suggestions are welcome but be kind to me, it's my little baby and I'm no whiz.

That is my Diablo history in a very small nutshell.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: I posted some druid pics here, but he didn't make it so check my next post with pictures :p

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Grape, Jamie, ioupainmax and 9 others like this.
  2. Fruit

Fruit IncGamers Member

sick starter helmet! love me some picture-supported playthroughs. :D

i've made many dozens of spreadsheets for similar little things like that, it's great to have a quick functional reference, and it often takes only little time to set up. it can be great to find out the impact 1 skill point really has, or 20 stat points in something, etc. :)

the lengthy strings of calculations in your sheet makes it hard to trace stuff, so i'll just assume there were no mistakes. :p it's sure a clean-looking sheet this way, though!

edit: perhaps a slight mistake? it seems that BO in your sheet also multiplies Energy from Items, but it doesn't do that in-game unfortunately. (source: Basin wiki.)

:cool:

if only d3 actually did it for me.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Jamie and ioupainmax like this.
  3. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Nice. Good luck !!!

4. Talman

Talman IncGamers Member

A keen eye! I think somewhere along the editing the reference jumped from "stat points in energy" to "energy from items". As I see that the former is somehow no longer included in the calculation... Thanks!

Edit: It was actually correct as the energy from items is subtracted, not added. Took me a while to reroll this haha. @Fruit

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  5. BKC

BKC IncGamers Member

Welcome to your new home Talmie!! :) oh my op gauss i have so many great memories from that place :D

6. Talman

Talman IncGamers Member

Well this was weak... haha

I lost the save file to the druid and I've started a Blade Fury assassin (I know...). I'm gonna take some screenies along the way and post the 2-3 most interesting ones here. Currently at Inner Cloister. :D

Nothing fancy drop-wise.
    [​IMG]
    Blood Raven dropped me a merc weapon, but I decided to go with the one Griswold dropped me instead:
    [​IMG]
    (using RWM - ATMA V - /players 4)

Continuing tonight!

Fruit likes this.
  7. LongingForDeath

LongingForDeath IncGamers Member

Good luck on your journey!

But do yourself a favor: Use GoMule instead of ATMA. ATMA is only useful for pre-1.11 versions, which GoMule sadly doesn't work with.

Jamie and ioupainmax like this.
  8. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Member

@LongingForDeath beat me to it, but yes, please use GoMule for a much better experience - especially when offloading gems and runes etc.

@Talman Good luck on the journey! I assume you'll still be playing HC Ladder in your group when the new ladder starts? I'll see you around :p

9. Jocular

Jocular IncGamers Member

Hello and welcome! I just recently guardian'd an untwinked Maul/FC werebear and had the most fun :D Good luck

10. Jamie

Jamie IncGamers Member

I will add on to the using of GoMule. I didn't realize how much more proficient GoMule is, until I went back to 1.07 on a different laptop and was amazed at how much more difficult ATMA was to use and was just kind of chaotic. Not to blast the person who made it, as it is nice to have something for previous patches, but GoMule will feel like magic if you switch to it lol.

I also just started my first HC character on Single Player and my first one since I played on bnet quite a few years ago.. used to play in 1.09 HC a lot, but only once since 1.10+ has came out.

11. Talman

Talman IncGamers Member

Thanks! I don't know, they will want to finish the previous run before moving over, I think. There was talk of being active on the ladder but we'll just see how that goes :eek:.
    I've switched to GoMule :D Good luck to you my fellow adventurer!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I used the Serpent Lord to kill the Poison lord :p Merc managed to amp her right quick. Made it to act 2 cube.

Jamie, DariusTriplet and ioupainmax like this.
  12. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Have you definitely lost the character file entirely? I too have a blade fury assassin going, but she been parked pretty early because of that pesky RFL, and y’know, life.

Welcome to the (sub) forum :)

13. Talman

Talman IncGamers Member

Small session yesterday, I'm about to enter the palace. LVL 22. I found something to replace the Serpent Lord, but I'm hoping the game will bless me with some Crushing Blow item.
    [​IMG]
    Didn't like the d2x files, so I'm doing it like during the ladder:[​IMG]

Fruit and Ghonn like this.
  14. Talman

Talman IncGamers Member

You all know how Duriel goes. I had the hardest time until I noticed I could actually tank him so the merc had time to Amplify and my Shadow could softly punch aswell. Then it was easy mode.

E: notice the last screenshots - I always save a ton of rejuvs for him :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

I'm currently doing the 2nd part of Khalims Will, no notable drops except my last 3 runes were Eth.

Fruit likes this.
  15. Jocular

Jocular IncGamers Member

If you become a pack rat like most of us here on the SPF I promise you you'll fall in love with having as many stashes as you desire as well as the ability to sort within them using the checkboxes.

Nice progress! Duriel is always an interesting/deadly roadblock going untwinked.

Also, how is blade fury? Have to admit I've never tried using one. I love bowazons so I imagine I would find the ranged aspect of it enjoyable, as well as the hunt for the biggest damaging item possible :p

16. Talman

Talman IncGamers Member

Yeah, but it's not really a problem. Was a very small druid anyway!
    Damn, I AM a packrat haha... I was thinking of keeping every unique I found in a d2x anyway, but then I sold the Serpent Lord and couldn't buy it back so I will refrain myself (I think...)

Bowazons are great, I haven't made one in ages. Playing this makes me really wanna make one. Blade Fury is working so far, but I'm getting really annoyed by the long "casting" animation. I might respec to Tiger Strike when I find a fun weapon, but I will postpone that as long as I can.

Fruit likes this.
  17. Talman

Talman IncGamers Member

[​IMG]
    Helmet upgrade, playing on /players 5 for now. I'm at Durance WP!

Fruit likes this.
  18. Talman

Talman IncGamers Member

[​IMG]
    First runeword: wanted to make some CB% for diablo.
    [​IMG]
    So far it didn't work wonders and I S&E'd when D was lasering me while caught in a rib cage...
    This is the other one:
    [​IMG]

NorthDakota likes this.
  19. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

That crushing blow is doing nothing if you keep it on the off hand claw when you use BF.

20. Talman

Talman IncGamers Member

Yeah I noticed there was no visual effect so I switched it to the other hand