Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

T6 Rifts x10 Speed Runs

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Recently we posted news about the evolving practice of timing yourself while clearing 10 straight Nephalem Rifts on Torment 6. There's a big thread about it on the B.net Barb forum, but I thought some discussion here might be interesting.

Has anyone done these, or tried them out? Thoughts and theories and times?

I just tried some with my softcore DH on the PTR, and it was an interesting experience. I set an alarm for 30m and started it when I opened up the first Rift, and checked it between runs. I didn't do 10 of them, obviously. Not in 30m, as that would be, by far, the world record I got through 5 though, in around 24:30, which would prorate to a respectable ~50m for all 10. Some initial conclusions.

Rush rush rush. I don't like playing without picking anything up. I detoured to grab the legendaries I saw, but not clicking on chests or taking a second to pick up gems, or even pausing to let my ferrets grab some gold, was annoying. It made the whole game feel kind of Greater Rift-esque, and I don't especially like those since they always feel so hurried.

Movement Speed. Surprisingly, not an issue. I switched a passive to Tactical Advantage for the movement speed boost, but hardly needed it. Partially since I was playing v2.1.2 on the PTR where Rift density and layout is improved over the current live, but except on some really bad maps, I never felt like I was wasting much time moving between packs.

Resource. This was my main bottleneck, since my M6 DH uses MS with a fire build, and it's very powerful, but resource intensive. I wear Reaper's Wraps and use Blood Vengeance so 2 orbs will totally refill my Hatred, but my killing speed comes from constantly firing MS nearly dry, then refilling from orbs.

Level layout. Really important. I notice this on GRifts, but when rushing T6 the difference between a dense open level and something with hallways and low density feels enormous. Two floor of Westmarch Commons were horrible; easily 3x slower than the A5 cemetery or Field of Misery type levels.

Kill and run. The builds that do the best times on T6 x10 runs are ones that can DoT and dash. Gem of Efficacious Toxin is pretty much mandatory, and Barbs leaving tornadoes behind, or Wizards with Firebirds are generally the best builds. I didn't have that capability with my DH in her M6 (sentries don't fire once you've moved away, and with the cooldown you can't drop them constantly anyway), and resource was my bottleneck, I needed to kill things and get orbs they dropped before moving on.

Build and LGems. I was using Zei's to start, and soon realized it wasn't that great. It's awesome when I'm doing GR40+, but on T6 speed runs I'm always in the midst of enemies, getting no benefit from Zei's. After 3 Rifts I switched to Eff. Tox, but it wasn't very useful since my MS barrages kill 95% of enemies within 3 seconds of sighting them. I'd probably have been better off with a Mirinae (along with Bane of Powerful and Pain Enhancer). I considered Wreath or Boon of the Hoarder for the movement speed boost, but as I said above, my problem was resource, not movement speed. And there aren't really any LGems that help with resource.

It was an interesting first experiment, and if I have time before the PTR goes away, I'll tweak my build and try another 5 or 10 with some changes. I'd also like to try my Monk; he can do GR40 (barely) on the PTR, but feels generally a lot slower than the DH, lacking the instant full screen AoE or huge burst damage for immediate Elite disposal.

2. Flux

Flux Administrator

Gave it a run with my Monk. Hwoowf.

I cleared 5 T6 rifts in about 33m. Not bad spawns on any of them; the class is just so limited. Admittedly. I have somewhat better gear on my DH, but I'm sharing exceptional jewelry and pretty good LGs between the Monk and DH, and the Monk has 9/10 quality armor. Just not the best possible weaponry. (2800 1h ancient sword and 2400 1h SoH, with all emeralds in gear = 1.1m dps with 55% lightning damage and additional skill damage bonuses.) But even if I had better weapons, Monks have much lower burst damage for Elites and so much less AoE than an M6 DH build, so there's really no offsetting that.

Anyway, movement speed felt fine, it's just about killing speed and the Monk lacking that due to much less powerful set bonuses. I didn't mean to get into a "how to make 6 piece or sunwuko's better" debate, but the 6 piece set bonus remains pointless even with the PTR "buff". Sunwuko's has potential with the periodic 500% damage buffs, but it needs bigger numbers or else some effect procing more regularly. Chance to randomly cast Wave of Light or something.

3. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

What a great game this is! It inspires such lively discussion! :D