Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

T6 Campaign

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by BongoFury, Dec 13, 2014.

1. BongoFury

BongoFury IncGamers Member

I've played all the Diablo games, but I was never interested in grinding to find the best items. I get bored after just a couple runs looking for better gear, and D3 is no different, 2-3 rift/GR runs and I am bored. So it looks like end game play here is pretty much dead to me. But I always found other interests in the game: Ironman play in D1, Naked play in D2, and even seeing how low of a level I could complete the game in D2. So it's time for something similar in D3.

I chose trying to play the campaign at T6 setting and see how far I can get a character. Twinking is pretty much mandatory, and I also decided that I needed a merc and a TP, so I started in adventure mode to pick those things up, and then started the campaign at zero exp.

The first try was a Barb. I cleared Old Tristram and then went back to adventure mode to retwink. But when trying to progress I immediately ran into a big mob just through the gate, and since it was a new game and OT wasn't cleared out I had nowhere to retreat and maneuver. Deeds.

Next try was a Witch Doc, I figured the pets would be a big help in keeping me clean so that I could snipe at a distance. But my dogs died very quickly, and the cool down would be far from reset, so I did lots of running. The WD spells didn't pack enough of a punch, and Grasp of the Dead didn't provide enough monster control to let me work a pack properly.

So the next try was a Wiz. Ray of Frost and Frost Nova are definitely the way to go, they let me manage things very well. Oh, there was still lots of running around and retreating to cleared areas, but it was the best so far. A lot of it depends on monster spawn, boss/champion packs are a real killer. I had one particularly nasty boss that I could barely scratch, it was all desperate running for my life. I tried to run him back past Tristram and then TP to town to park him back in the starting area, but the game wouldn't let me open one there. So I ran back into town and let Rumford tank the boss at the gate while I sniped from in town. But the boss got past Rumford and actually entered town, where him and his minions promptly vaporized. I figured that was far to cheezy of a way to play, so I restarted.

Another Wiz and I was off again. It's slow going and a bit tedious, but clearing to Old Tristram is very doable. And from past lessons I knew that I had to keep going from there. So I had cleaned out plenty of stash space to hold sufficient twink gear so that I didn't have to restart the game. Adria's Hut is about as far as I could get. The problem is that it's a small space, which leaves very little room for maneuver. And you can't leave the place once you've entered. Even equiping him with all Vit gear, my moron (Cormak, for the tanking) doesn't live long enough to open a TP so that I can walk back from town. So it's pretty much a death trap. Tried with 3 different Wizs and never really made much of a dent in Dalton and friends.

So now I think I am going to modify my parameters and allow myself the option to rerun areas and level up as much as I can. Maybe if I try AH at L15 (I have been getting there at about L11-12) when I can use a socketed weapon I'll have a chance. The problem is that I have burned through all my Ex Ess (almost 1,000) enchanting twink gear. So now I have to play some lower level toons to restock my crafting materials. I'll update my progress once I have restocked.

But I doubt I am going to make too many attempts at L15, I just don't have the resources to burn through too many big rubies. So I've started thinking about other possible challenges. I think maybe an old school D1 Iroman game might be the way to go, but given how progress is SO dependent on gear in D3, that might be too much of a random chance thing.

Regards-
    Bongo Fury

2. BongoFury

Yeah, a socketed weapon makes a big difference. It's not a blitz like it is normally is at L15, but I can kill something with less than a full mana globe now. Dalton and friends were still a bit tricky in that small room, but I beat them. I concentrated on running around the central cauldron while my mana regenerated and that worked pretty good, I only had one NDE.

I'm L17 now, went 15>17 at Adria's, and I made it to the Cathedral. Since that is a checkpoint I could take a rest and retwink. I put an Amey in my hat for the extra life, that was a no brainer. But what do I put in the other sockets? What is going to give me the most durability? Diamonds for the RA, or Ameys for the Vit? My offense is adequate for now, so my goal is to avoid the 1-2 shot deaths. So what do you think will help me more, diamonds or amethists?

I made another character to shop gear for my main toon. I'm keeping Twinkerbell a couple levels higher than the main and she has been cycling the vendors for gear. Question, is Squirt the vendor kid in S2 a love child of Jerry Lewis? Every time I hear her say 'Hey Lady' all I can think of is an old JL movie. LOL. Or am I dating myself here and most of you are too young to have never seen a JL movie?

Regards-
    Bongo Fury

3. Solwolf

Solwolf Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Bongo!

4. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

That is great fun indeed! I just levelled a new DH solo, and I usually start at high torment and slowly go back down the difficulty towards 70. There are often times (before I bumb down the level a notch) when you have to run around an elite pack for over a minute which is good fun.

I can remember running around Tristram cathedral with my previous DH, at level 7 or something and without a weapon (yeah that was dumb) trying to dodge and make a dent in the zombies that were chasing me. Think I was running around redscreened for a good few minutes, but I made it through :)

5. spiffymcbang

spiffymcbang D3 Trade Moderator<br> America, USEast (D2)<br> Ne

I don't think legendary gems have a level requirement so the toxic one might be of good help, 2000% weapon dam at level 1 with a big ruby in the weapon? just an idea. yeah and if you focus on weapon damage and put vit gems in other socket slots it might help you.

6. BongoFury

Loaded up all my and Cormac's sockets but one with Amethists. I used my Ammy for offense, a socketed of wounding.

I tried that in the Ammy, but a big topaz for the extra Int worked better. Thanks for the idea though, it's appreciated. When I set off for the cathedral at L17 I was doing about 2200 damage with 10k life. Cormac had over 13k life. I won't say the cathedral was easy, but I never felt in danger. Cain was rescued and I was L22 at the end.

We gave mercy to Mira and then off to the Weeping Hollow. And things got dangerous again. I got scavengers and the packs of those bastards were on me quick. Between those and the Hungry Torsos jumping out at me I was getting hit a lot. And my damage was far less effective than in the cathedral. I started out doing a full clear, but decided to just clear around the road so that I could get the F out of there. Ran into a champion pack of scavengers and that is when things got REAL exciting. Good thing I had cleared out the beginning part because they had quickly chased me all the way back to the bridge. I even dived back to town to reset my skills. I ended up using Glacial Spike and Cold Ray for my main attacks, with Hydra, Frost Nova, Magic Weapon and Ice Armor. Back at the Champ Scavengers I ended up using a largish clump of trees to run around in circles, while I'd freeze them with GS or Nova and then get in as much damage as I could before they'd start chasing me again. Very tense at times, going into the red three times. But I eventually wore them down and killed them off. Thankfully that was the only elites I encountered and I made it to the Cemetary WP at L28.

So it's time to upgrade my gear again. This will only be a marginal improvement. The big bump I got from using all those socketed gems won't be repeated. I don't know how I'll make it there but the next big bump I'll get is when I make it to the 40's and I can start using all my -Req items and get access to L70 gear.

Regards-
    Slone

P.S.: Hey there Sol, good to see another familiar face around.