Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

T/V or Mage?

Discussion in 'PvP' started by Sechler, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Sechler

Sechler IncGamers Member

T/V or Mage?

Ok, I gathered up equipment for making a v/t or t/v, but i'm starting to think that a mage would be a fun build as well. Well i've been milling over this for about a week, and I've starting pulling out my hair. I already started leveling the char, and am getting close to making some skill pt commitments. I was also thinking considering going the t/v route, but not running fanat and just running holy freeze in smiter mod (w/ current gear, i still hit 6fpa w/o fanat).
    So, I'm looking for a well balanced char, but i think both a t/v and a mage does that. Any opinions out there? Maybe I should just flip a coin :undecided: .

2. PhuQ

PhuQ IncGamers Member

I´d say mage. Newbs can be killed with FoH and those who stack are a bit weaker since they have to substitude some piece of gear (well, at least 95% have). And foh is autoaimed :)

3. jake007

jake007 IncGamers Member

T/V. Mage have many exploitable weaknesses from the hammerside (ES sorc, wind druid, Trappers) for which the FoH side doesn't really compensate.

4. Sechler

Sechler IncGamers Member

What’s your guys thoughts on maxing charge instead of smite. I’ll most likely alternate between charging and tele as I drop the foh’es. If I’m charging around w/ a lvl 43 charge, I will always have the option of ramming some peeps that thing I’m ur avg. everyday foher. I’d be using grief pb as main wep, so with a 1 pt smite I can still pull of some decent smite dmg w/ max holyshield.

5. SicHalo

SicHalo IncGamers Member

not really cuz sure es sorcs can tank but this is a problem for other hammers not just a mage, yet u still see hammer take down sorcs? The Es is only really a prob if u have a weak hammer. Trappers is a weakness but able to be beat.

Windy if ur good it can be a 50/50 chance.

But with V/t although smite is good an all u will still have problems with hammers/ hammer vairents, mage. Libby, Windy can still beat a smiter or smiter varient pretty consistantly, so that leaves u vs Es sorc and trappers, yeah a V/t will definetly do better here Es not to sure.

But its not just this u have to think across the board a Barb or mele will have an easier time creaming a V/T T/V than a mage due to the fact of hammer dmg, high unresistable etc.

Also mage still has the ability to become a 1 point libby, i do this with a grief or something in the stash vs trappers and i still have hammer, foh and decent charge dmg.

6. Sechler

Sechler IncGamers Member

I thought this a while back, but after making a 1pt holy shield libby, I found out that good barbs could tear me up, do to lack of def. On the other hand, my foh'er had maxed holy shield and would avoid hits from other melee fairly well. IMO, v/t=high def and mage=mediocre def ... given what i've read up on mages so far. I'm thinking that fast chars w/ high ar would be tough opponents, e.g. chargers, tele/smite, ww barbs, ww sins if i were to make a mage.

7. SicHalo

SicHalo IncGamers Member

true V/T has the higher defence but talking from a a BvC point of view, i would easily take my chances over a V/T than a mage most smiters will lose to a barb or something and this is fact, and from my BvC setup i can stack u and still keep high dr while ur left with a weaker smite than a pure smiter.

Mage u can atleast walk with 10k hammer which is far more efficent than anything and i personally never have trouble with tele smite or chargers as desync hammers > smiter+ charger i would say 8/10 times.

where as a V/T can still get flattened by a good smiter, or a vidicator/Savior which has high stack ability nuilfying foh etc. Then u still need the skill to beat a decent barb, vs non stackers its easy but vs well built and ppl knowing what to do it's not so viable.

Basically anything hammer has a much easier time vs mele than a smiter would, cuz like i said a few build u would have to be a top smiter or good to get consistant win results.

8. conor rocks

conor rocks IncGamers Member

How would you get 10k hammer?

9. De4dEyE

De4dEyE IncGamers Member

Mage. You can negate both builds' FoH, but you can't negate hammers. Smite can be reduced/ran away from/minion stacked against/etc etc. I would think unless you're godly at NLing a Windy would run over a T/V. Mages have difficult fights against windys too, but not as retarded as a smiter vs windy..

10. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy IncGamers Member

Mage. If anything I'd prefer V/T over T/V.

That is hard to pull off with a Mage. 8K Hammers is considered fine. I have 8/5.5 on mine.

11. SicHalo

SicHalo IncGamers Member

mine does 9k+ hammer 5k+ foh vs casters with that setup and 10k and 4.5k on mele.

And like said i would take the V/T over T/V cuz iu atleast have decent smite compared to a high foh and weak smite dmg, meaning u get stacked ur in serious trouble.

Again the dmg requires the lvls + good stating as well, as u can see i tilited highly toward hammer cuz 8k foh or not if ur stacked its still rendered useless and it makes more sense to have a 9-10k hammer as backup than be stuck with a 6k hammer vs a barb or high life builds etc.

12. Sechler

Sechler IncGamers Member

kk..
    Leaning towards mage now. I ran some numbers with:
    hoto,griffs, arachs, bk, raven/soj,arachs,treks,pally ammy w/20 fcr,bloodfists, hoz, pcombs+torch+anni, nigma
    and got... 8.9k hammers, 4.5k foh, 125fcr
    @ 100skillpts (lvl89)
    sound about right?

13. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

T/V > V/T in pubs. The difference in smite dmg for both builds is minimal so I'll take a 5-6k foh over a 3-4k one. Most don't really stack enough light resist.

Also smite is unblockable so a decent smite is enough.

For starters T/V > Mage but eventually as you get better, mage is near unstoppable.

14. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy IncGamers Member

IMO Mage > vt, tv. Any opponent who's icky to hammer or foh with (trapper, windies, etc) can be solved with grief charge.

15. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

mage is probably king of paladins but extremely difficult to master.

16. matchuk

matchuk IncGamers Member

i always wanted to make a mage but it is awfully expensive for it to be able to deal normal damage, im talking pcoms ><

sic halo can you send me your mage layout w equip thanks

17. SicHalo

SicHalo IncGamers Member

yeah sure il send my exact build just give me some time

True Retro but the ppl that do stack and still keep DR, ur left with a pathetic smite and i believe u still can be dead meat to a V/S or normal pure smiter well equipped and Barb etc.

for me i think mage>V/T>T/V

But then again most ppl in pubs suck when it come to stacking so i can see the the reason for T/V > V/T.

18. KaythonXE

KaythonXE Banned

Mages are pathetic.

19. conor rocks

conor rocks IncGamers Member

No one cares about your opinion. At least we arn't saying hammerdin>all like you are.

20. KaythonXE

KaythonXE Banned

Mages are very weak, considering the fact that once you get them to stack lightning resistances you aren't making them neglect gear ready for your hammer damage. -_-