swords vs axes

caucasion

Diabloii.Net Member
swords vs axes

are lower level swords just better than axes? does it get better in the higher levels ? i seem to kill stuff alot slower with axes at the lower levels then i did with my swords before i rerolled. did i make a mistake?

Fuzzier

Diabloii.Net Member
Net Necessarily.
The damage over time (your killing speed) mainly depends on:
1. the damage your weapon dishes (check your character screen)
2. the chance your weapon hits (check your character screen)
3. the speed your weapon swings (use speed calculators)
Do you use a low damage axe or a slow axe?

sirwhere

Diabloii.Net Member
Axes look dumb. The only time I might CONSIDER them would be at high level pvp (because of beast), and even then only if my life was at stake... LOL

Bladewind

Diabloii.Net Member
The Berserker axe is the only weapon that beats the Colossus blade in term of practicality. They have same range and but the BA does MORE damage than the CB when combined with a use of a shield.

Drawback. The BA looks like a toy in the barbs hand while the CB looks more meaty.

2 handed axes are cool to look at ! Especially the glorious axe but impractical even for pvm since the EBOTD Ghost Spear and EBOTD Great poleaxe are more effective when used for WW due to their massive range 5.

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
Axes by a small margain. You've got more of a choice with runewords with axes at the end of the line. They're also MUCH easier on the str/dex requirements than swords.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not spend 189 strength and 110 dex just to use a CB, when a BA needs just 138 str and 59 dex, offering superior performance as well.

caucasion

Diabloii.Net Member
Axes by a small margain. You've got more of a choice with runewords with axes at the end of the line. They're also MUCH easier on the str/dex requirements than swords.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not spend 189 strength and 110 dex just to use a CB, when a BA needs just 138 str and 59 dex, offering superior performance as well.

thats the way ive been seeing it. im only level 24 and i already have 59 dex, so the rest can all be vit and str

Croup

Diabloii.Net Member

Your comparison about requirements is apt, except that both Breath of the Dying and Death runewords include Hel, which lowers the requirements by 20%.

As I said, your point is still applicable as the requirements for CBs are still higher, but it's not as drastic a difference as you made it out to be.

malakho

Diabloii.Net Member
ya i tend to like axes at lower levels...the lower reqs tend to make them easier to carry. And at higher lvls the beserker tends to be favored in alot of circumstances due to its speed.
And i dunno...I've always liked the look of axes. The large axe sorta makes your toon look like a woodcutter, but i liek the others :grin:

Malachi

Halciet

Diabloii.Net Member
Axes are the superior weapons all-around, with better uniques, access to crafting, ability to be used in all of the best runewords, and the fact that the berserker axe is the best 1h weapon around in terms of speed/damage/sockets/stat requirements. The only problem people really have with them are appearance, and that is entirely a matter of opinion.

-Hal

Croup

Diabloii.Net Member
The only problem people really have with them are appearance, and that is entirely a matter of opinion.

-Hal
As well as consistency with their switch weapons, as in the case of using Ali Babas to sliver a boss.

I'll happily agree with the rest of it though.

Halciet

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, that's true; if you're running a MF barb with ali's on the switch for the killshot, sword mastery has some benefit there :)

-Hal