Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Swords Vs Axes

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by RomeoVsJuliet, Aug 29, 2006.

1. RomeoVsJuliet

RomeoVsJuliet IncGamers Member

Swords Vs Axes

Benefits and cons of each other?

2. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

Swords:
    Pros: looks (some people think so)
    Cons: requirements, damage, not enough runewords available, not many good uniques either

Axes:
    Pros: Requirements, damage, many runewords available, some good uniques
    cons: "looks like a kitchen knife"<- someone said so.

So Axes win.

3. l-ater

l-ater IncGamers Member

dual wielder swordie barbs used to be the only kind i made, they do have that aesthetic destroyer look to them

axes are better though for combat purposes, requirements for dex arent nearly as high

4. RomeoVsJuliet

RomeoVsJuliet IncGamers Member

Nice. Thanks guys.

5. Azzaron

Azzaron IncGamers Member

Is this true regardless of whether or not you use a shield?

6. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Yes. If you use a shield, you'll have excess dex regardless, but axes have lower str requirements. Note that when most people say "swords" and "axes," they generally mean "Colossus Blade" and "Berserker Axe."

Axes are superior in every statistical way. Looks are subjective.

-Hal

7. Spankeh

Spankeh IncGamers Member

If we are talking about frenzy, and you use enigma with 70+ to strength for general pvm, then id go swords, aka Grief pb and Lawbringer pb, for indestructability.

8. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

Swords > axes.

9. Rabbitz

Rabbitz IncGamers Member

and why is that?

10. BattleQueen

BattleQueen IncGamers Member

Lemme guess. Because Stone Cold said so? :rolleyes: heh.

I'd go with axes had their in-game graphics been better...:tongue:

11. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Swords < axes.

same reason as rikstaker stated :laugh:

12. sirwhere

sirwhere IncGamers Member

Because in D2 swords are about 100-120 cm long, while axes are more like 60-80 cm long.

Thus: swords > axes

Simple :rolleyes:

13. MedctnStn

MedctnStn IncGamers Member

let's not forget only axes can be used in the blood item recipe for weapons

14. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

...and that in-game graphics of weapons have no relation to their range. A Berzerker Axe has range 3, but a Bastard Sword has range 2, but the Bastard sword looks longer in-game.

15. SicHalo

SicHalo IncGamers Member

axes always due to the lower requirements and higher dmg + the fact more runewords uses them etc.

However i have to admit those axes do look like kitchen knives compared to the sword which looks a bit more "manly".

but then again if ur char is str bugged it does not matter so much :shocked:?

As only u can see it :shocked:?

16. sirwhere

Allright, since we all seem to agree swords look cooler than axes, I now proceed to prove why swords are better.

Axes are superior statistical wise. True. But how much? Let's say 10% better. Does that make a difference? Yes. In 10% of the duels on average.

But now comes psychology. If you hate the "kitchen knife" look of axes, you will feel sad using them and that will inhibit some of your brain circuits (reference: A. Damásio's books on neurology). The upshot is you *will* duel less effectively and that loss may well be more than 10%.

Now, if you duel with swords, you'll feel great because you're winning in STYLE. You'll have better timing, better reasoning and, in general, you'll be making decisions better. That's gotta be worth more than 10%.

Therefore, I proudly annouce:

SWORDS ARE BETTER THAN AXES.

Axes should be left for innanimate bots who don't have aesthetic feelings.

Case closed :)

17. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

However, some builds cannot be played without Axes, such as BvCs. Please try making a valid BvC using swords when you cannot have a Beast. What will you use? LW+Grief? ****ty damage.

Also, the thing about the looks of weapons is a stereotypia. Myself for example, I hate the unrealistic looks of the swords. I mean, they have thing blades that can be easily broken. Pay a look to the character screen. CBs have very thin blades, so thin that they are very weak, and can be broken even too easily. Compared to the strong and short blades of Axes. Lenght + thinness = easily broken. Just as you can lift up a rock easier with a long stick than you can with a short stick. IIRC this had something to do with the weight being allocated to a larger area, thus making the individual weight for a small area smaller. But at the same time, it makes it weaker too. If you try lifting a rock with a thin piece of wood, the piece of wood will be broken. Try again with a metal bar. Either you will spend a good time to bend the metal bar or the rock will move. But the metalbar will never break, unless some greater force helps the process.

If a person cannot adjust to the looks of a certain item and hates the looks so much that it makes him depressed and unable to play at his full potential, he shouldn't play at all. That's called being weak.

Also, in dual-wielding, Axes are a must. Please try to PvP with a dual sword BvC versus a dual axe BvC. You will get beaten, due to the superior damage.

Also, Axes have less requirements so while the Axes might make the user depressed, he will have less life and thus he will need more skill to play, and thus the lack of the extra skill will compensate for the extra of having your feelings towards your character correct. So it ends up at a tie at the feeling side.

It leaves the flexibility and damage, in which both Axes win. So Axes win.

Also, you show me any kitchen knife that has a 50cm wooden handle with it and a curved axe-like blade. Oh wait, that was back in the middle ages.

18. sirwhere

Swords have thin, breakable blades? So what? They look cool. It's a computer game. It's not supposed to be realistic.

As for damage, I agree beast/grief is better than sword rune combinations. But hey, I'm sure blizzard are reading this and will fix it extending beast to swords next patch ;) That is by far the most needed fix. Dupes, lag, ladder and all that are secondary compared to STYLE.

19. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

@ Sirwhere: Thanks man that made me laugh ... I needed that ... I am actually in the process of a bva build that will use fury/grief combo for casters.

@Ce Olba: Don’t take everything so seriously ... he proved a point based on psychological knowledge that may or may not be true ... who cares ... will that deter most from axes ... probably not ... but he did "prove" in his own way that swords > axes ... however this ...

plays into SirWhere’s argument since you could right now be giving up potential play and not know it ... you could be teleing right when you should go left b/c your upset about the axe ... but you wouldn’t even know your upset about the axe because you think your not upset about the axe since you got the best stats available ... but in reality you are upset about the axe.

Either/or both arguments stats vs. better playing style are valid arguments so I conclude that both are best.

:flip: :jig: :flip:

20. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

swords

pros: looks
    cons: everything else

axes

pros: everything else
    cons: looks

but i'll admit that grief pb + death pb kills faster on my frenzy barb than beast + death zerkers