Sword and board or trust for the IK?

Ankeli

Diabloii.Net Member
Sword and board or trust for the IK?

I reckon I'll pick up D2 again at the coming ladder reset, since AoC has a few annoying bugs that keep me from logging on, and Ninja Gaiden 2 on mentor is making me go ****ING INSANE with it's artificially increased level of difficulty (filter intentionally abused, sue me, play the game and withdraw).

Now, I want a Barbarian to be able to withstand the weak tppk'ers in normal and nm baals, and I haven't played one in a while. Hardly the optimal mf'er, especially when they're so item dependant and you start with zip, but I'm too seasoned to go with yet another sorc or LFzon.

His primary endgame goal will be to run the keys, so I'll need a certain amount of pdr, this is where the easy to find IK hat comes to play with it's dual sockets. Since I'll most likely be able to grind one from nightmare, and the rest of the set is far from bad, I'm torn between trusting to be able to deal well enough with an IK whirlwind build without the armor, and perhaps even the weapon for a long time or trying to assemble Oath and going sword and board. The oath setup would grant blocking, and is arguably easier to put together, whereas the diversity of IK is unbeatable.

The build will be your usual whirlwind with some additions due to the lack of items, like grim ward, find item and find potion. The choice of mastery obviously is dependant on the build.

tldr; Which is more plausible for a ww Barbarian that aims to run the keys to begin a season with, IK or Oath build?

prion

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Sword and board or trust for the IK?

o gee..

you kinda need to choose your mastery first don't you?

otherwise i would say wait and see if you forges drop oath runes :/

AgentMarth

Diabloii.Net Member

o gee..

otherwise i would say wait and see if you forges drop oath runes :/
I agree with the waiting to see if your forges drop you the Oath runes, but either way, you can go Mace Mastery and try for a Eth Oath Scourge. If anything, you can easily switch the gear later, save for if you decide to go base dex for IK, but in the end, I'd say sword and shield, since you have more options, even lower ones like Rhyme and something like Honor or Black that can be made easier then trying/hoping for a IK armor.

prion

Diabloii.Net Member

you know what you're right...all of those runewords can be made in maces, so mace mastery will give you the options

ah....but sword and board would let you use the almighty Gerke's Sanctuary....

i guess...Sword Mastery gives you more options but Mace Mastery gives you the options you want

Ankeli

Diabloii.Net Member

o gee..

That's what the whole issue is =P

I agree with the waiting to see if your forges drop you the Oath runes, but either way, you can go Mace Mastery and try for a Eth Oath Scourge. If anything, you can easily switch the gear later, save for if you decide to go base dex for IK, but in the end, I'd say sword and shield, since you have more options, even lower ones like Rhyme and something like Honor or Black that can be made easier then trying/hoping for a IK armor.
True, some of the low level runewords are good enough to get to end nightmare, which then would opt for IK pieces and/or Oath material. *sigh* I really don't know. Guess the base dex, "enough" str and pump vita while saving some for dex and no mastery is the way I have to go. I thought about mace mastery and scourges, but eth 4 socket ones don't exactly grow in trees. Even if they literally... do. An ethereal cryptic sword or something might be easier to find while waiting for the optimal bb. Then again levelling with maces up 'til early hell would be propably easier.

Zelator

Diabloii.Net Member

I'd go for IK ... you don't really need the full set to make the weapon effective... Search: Cheap Budget Barb or something - makes good use of the IK maul with other cheap pieces... GL

ZappaFan

Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Almost always wait until late to choose mastery. Just about any Barb build lets you do that, keep your options open.

As an aside I like a Conc build for IK better than a short reaching WW. That big club only has a reach of 2. And especially if you want him for running keys, Conc is a LOT safer than WW IMO. I have an IK Conc barb that runs all three keys with ease.

Ankeli

Diabloii.Net Member

I know conc is safer, but it's also boring as hell. Zerking my way through the CS is a pain, let alone playing a similar game throughout the game.

MYK

Diablo: IncGamers Member

I don't think Conk(lol)/Zerk/WW are any more/less boring. two of them bash away at stuff and the third does the lawn mower motion a whole lot. I think frenzy is really interesting as far as zipping around and almost dying a lot, and Double Swing is just Frenzy without the FR/W and less synergies.

I reckon I'll pick up D2 again at the coming ladder reset, since AoC has a few annoying bugs that keep me from logging on, and Ninja Gaiden 2 on mentor is making me go ****ING INSANE with it's artificially increased level of difficulty (filter intentionally abused, sue me, play the game and withdraw).

Now, I want a Barbarian to be able to withstand the weak tppk'ers in normal and nm baals, and I haven't played one in a while. Hardly the optimal mf'er, especially when they're so item dependant and you start with zip, but I'm too seasoned to go with yet another sorc or LFzon.

His primary endgame goal will be to run the keys, so I'll need a certain amount of pdr, this is where the easy to find IK hat comes to play with it's dual sockets. Since I'll most likely be able to grind one from nightmare, and the rest of the set is far from bad, I'm torn between trusting to be able to deal well enough with an IK whirlwind build without the armor, and perhaps even the weapon for a long time or trying to assemble Oath and going sword and board. The oath setup would grant blocking, and is arguably easier to put together, whereas the diversity of IK is unbeatable.

The build will be your usual whirlwind with some additions due to the lack of items, like grim ward, find item and find potion. The choice of mastery obviously is dependant on the build.

tldr; Which is more plausible for a ww Barbarian that aims to run the keys to begin a season with, IK or Oath build?
I would really recommend concentrate.

Whirl needs a fast weapon to hit the nice breakpoint of goodness, mana leech, life leech, damage. It's mastery needs to be pumped up or else you'll have possible AR/Damage issues.
You won't have the goodness that is the RIP mod most likely, so Whirlwind will trigger more CE blasts form Nihlathak.

I would highly recommend jumping on the bandwagon and building a sorc to start the ladder with. Speedy Nightmare runs = hell viable weapons or possibly enough gear to get you through to Hell Mephisto where you gain access to all sorts of pain bringers.

I'd go with a maul if I was trading early on. Windhammer/IK maul both are solid weapons that can whirl/Conk/Zerk just great with a Shael rune(s).

I would probably go two-handed anyways just for the extra damage that I'll likely want due to not having stupor twink itamz.

I would likely go with a Conk/Zerk build with shopped PDR/SOL armor, and the biggest & fastest weapon I could get my hands on. Both skills don't need a maxed amstery for the damage, and they're not so bad on needing a high IAS weapon.

Ankeli

Diabloii.Net Member

There's always the option of making a sorc, dying a few days later because I played it like a barbarian, and then rolling that barb as people have gained a little wealth so I can trade for stuff ^_^

But yeah, we'll see what path I'll take with him.

MYK

Or Lionheart.. or Smoke..
Or fortitude.

Or just go naked and pray you don't get hit.

Or shop a Jeweler's/Mechanics/Artisans _________ of Amicae and throw Sol runes into it.

Ankeli

Diabloii.Net Member

Or shop a Jeweler's/Mechanics/Artisans _________ of Amicae and throw Sol runes into it.
This was the original plan. I guess I've made up my mind about going with mace mastery. Whether it'll be IK or oath will be decided depending on drops.

MYK

This was the original plan. I guess I've made up my mind about going with mace mastery. Whether it'll be IK or oath will be decided depending on drops.
I wanted to make a PDR barb for the ladder run. The only thing I couldn't really make work was the weapon thing because untwinked is tough on the barb kill speed especially in act 4 if nothing nice has dropped or been shopped.

The good thing about mace mastery is lots of mauls drop. Bonesnap upgraded and shaeled is pretty slow, but damaging. Windhammer/IK maul drop often enough to make one sick,a nd when shaeled they're awesome lawn mower weapons.

DivineRight

Diabloii.Net Member

What about a Sword & Sheild Conc/Zerker? Or my all time favorites, the Lance WW'er or the Polearm WW'er (my heart belongs to lancers tho)?

I find myself getting killed way too often with Frenzy because I go from slowly hacking away to HOLY MUDDA, I AM MOVING TOO FAST!

Dahkar

Diabloii.Net Member

Frenzy/Thrower hybrids can be a alot of fun. You kill regularly/go machine gun mode when needed. :)

DivineRight

Diabloii.Net Member

I made one, he was a lot of fun but playing without BO killed me. Getting through NM was easy with my frenzy/thrower hybrid but things hit way too hard in Hell.

Dahkar

Diabloii.Net Member

Why no BO? I consider BO mainline, unless your always teaming with another barbarian. Survivability>damage.