Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

switching language

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by agrégatif, Mar 24, 2005.

1. agrégatif

agrégatif IncGamers Member

switching language

I have a french version of DiabloII which is really annoying as three classes of weapon are called "poignard", two "fléau", two "bouclier normand", three "couronne" etc. so that you never know if a golden "fléau" on the ground is a unique scourge or a general's tan do li ga, you cannot make the difference either between a stormshield and a steelclash or a crown of ages and an undead crown.

I would like to switch the language to english. Is it possible without risking to corrupt my files and if so how should I do it ?

2. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Pretty sure there are some files you can replace to change the language, can't remember which ones though.

3. agrégatif

agrégatif IncGamers Member

Yes, I've seen a thread where people talked about replacing english with german and it mentionned a D2Lang.dll file, that had to be changed. But I don't know where to find the file to replace it with (i.e. a file containing the english version) nor if this operation is risky at all.

Are there nobody here who plays with a french version ?

I know I've played a long time believing that all the unique "boucliers normands" I dropped were steelclashes and one day I realised they could also be stormshields. So to all new french players, be warned: you will never see a "monarque" or a "corona" on the ground and you will drop more green "cuirasse" than english speaking player will ever drop green breastplates.

4. Sleepless

Sleepless IncGamers Member

Yeah, i noticed :S Pindle dropped some fléau and I never grabbed believeing it was general tan do liga. I almost threw my computer through the wall when i found out that could be a stormlash.

5. NSXdreamer

d2lang.dll is only 76kb though, kinda small for the replacement. Try it anyway, just keep your old one in case it dosen't work. I zipped mine up, try this: http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload5/D2Lang.zip

I'd hate to trade for an unid'ed stormshield on bnet with french version! :eek:

6. NSXdreamer

Heh, the other day in wsk run some people were saying "it could be a stormlash" when baal dropped a gold flail, and I was thinking what the **** is he talking about. :D

7. Sleepless

Sleepless IncGamers Member

In fact, it was me :D

--

Oh, just used the search fonction and found : http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=314162&highlight=d2lang.dll
    . RTB posted a d/l link.

EDIT: Not sure if it will work though, just read the whole thread and it didn't seems to work except for german version.

EDIT2: After some research, it look like we have to replace patch_d2.mpq too (1.90Mo)

8. RoidRage

RoidRage IncGamers Member

Hi agrégatif

I searched around to solve your problem since my game in french was pissing me off too. Go download that little program

http://phrozenkeep.it-point.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=115

then open that program, open your d2data.mpq

then add this little file

http://phrozenkeep.it-point.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=293

and follow the instructions in the readme. It's forcing the game to be english. It worked for me

It should work with every other language too!

p.s: I never opened a mpq file and it was still very easy
    PS2: I think you'll also need the d2lang.dll and the english d2_patch.mpq

NSX: IT WAS ME TOO :D

(Mod: Sorry for the link, I can't host those files and I don't know if it's a competing site so please forgive that, I'm just trying to help since I searched the whole forums and nobody was able to change the language excepting for german version)