Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Switched to WoW from DII

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by lenman, Apr 5, 2005.

1. lenman

lenman IncGamers Member

Switched to WoW from DII

Hi , I played d2 for years starting almost since the game came out . sc at first then hc which Iloved . Died alot at first but after awhile pretty much never . I was'nt an awesome player but knew the game well. never had a 99, highest was 94 hc pally, just couldnt do the grind.

so anyway when wow came out my d2 friends and I decided to switch to that, and I can tell you that it is just as addicting if not more so than d2. I thought I would run thru some totally random thoughts about WoW with some thoughts on it's relation to d2. LIke I said totally random stuff.

Leveling is 100x easier in wow. top lvl is 60 , You can easily get there solo . I'm a lvl 55 warlok and 97% of that has been alone.

classes are moderately balanced with rogue being pound fer pound the best. paladins are also very good. I kinda wish i never started a warlok, but he does ok. Imho hunter is the most middle of the pack char. with no great complaints or overpowering abilities.

unlike Diablo2 you can learn every skill for your class, so every1 is the same there, but at lvl 10 you start getting talent points which are like synergies in d2. talents are set up like the d2 skill tree with pre reqs and such.

A bid difference between the 2 games also is gold is so important( at least fer now) in wow. there is no "soj" in terms of trading. and gold is uber important, especially because training in skills and professions costs alot of gold towards the higher levels.

A great thing they also did was to make items bind on equip, once you put it on no other person could use it. in the long run this will help to make the economy much more stable imho.

at lvl 40 all characters get the ability to purchase and ride a horse. this gives you a 60% speed increase which makes all the difference in the world. with riding training and horse cost it's like 90 gold total. most people at lvl 40 had to take at least a few days of pure grinding to come up with the money. paladins and warloks get their mounts for free:) . at lvl 60 you can upgrade to a supermount for 900 gold, it gives 100% increased speed and looks awwwesomme !

items are much more bland then in d2 . A big ability that they carried over, which I hated in d2 was the chance on hit ability. alot of "uber" items have that as their special ability. like chance on hit surrounds you in a holy shield or heals you for 50-75 life. eh I've personnly never liked these because you can't count on them when you need them. I like things I can grasp.

well I have to go now, but if anyone wants i'll post more stuff later. any questions? post here and thanks !

2. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

This post doesn't seem to be about d2 statistics. Maybe it should have gone in the community forum or an off topic forum.

3. G0su_Hellbolt

G0su_Hellbolt IncGamers Member

I think we can get that straight off the WoW website.

*Gosu-Hellbolt

4. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Hi I'm aragorn the Community Forum [DII] mod and as I remember, this forum is for Diablo related chat, not WoW.

So if you want to chat about things WoW, there are the WoW forums. That's what they are there for, please use the correct forum.

Thank you.

5. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

$15 a month for the same leveling treadmill with fancy graphics

yay?

6. MrDoc

MrDoc IncGamers Member

I played the Korean beta.
    I had a warlock and a hunter.
    Like you said, it's easy to lvl in solo. I don't like that, it promotes a selfish, individualist gameplay.
    The game feels like a RPG for dummies. I played a lot of better, more complex games . WoW is just a big commercial product.
    There's no passion inside the game, only marketing.
    Just like a big hollywood movie. Empty, expensive and boring.
    15$ a month for such a bad software? no thx :D

7. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

Wow what a friendly moderator ^^ :D

8. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Actually I thought the whole post was purposed to compare the two games, their similarities and their differences.

9. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

You thought wrong. Never mention WoW again. Delete + ban plz. kthxbye.

10. Gorny

Gorny Banned

There isn't a problem with comparing the two, and I admit I just scanned the thread after someone reported it yesterday.

But all in all questions about WoW should be in the WoW forum.

The same idea would go for someone posting in the WoW forum comparing the two and then offering more info on Diablo.

11. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream IncGamers Member

Yeah I also wouldn't pay 15$ for such a boring game.

12. Throttle

Throttle IncGamers Member

I played Everquest for a few years, and while it was fun (mostly in the beginning), it just takes up way too much time if you wanna be up there with the good players. Also, a real mmorpg is like the bane of all school :D (I don't consider d2 a real mmorpg in the same way EQ, WoW and similar subscribtion games are). Most of my friends jumped on the WoW-wagon but I decided not to, I just couldn't make myself spend another several years on a possibly quite addictive game.

I've heard lots of good and bad things about WoW. It's supposed to be relatively easy and simple, probably aimed for the younger crowd as opposed to Everquest and SWG, for example. As I understand it, leveling is not only fast, but is easy and sometimes even better done solo. This doesn't sound very good IMO, for several reasons - Playing mostly solo in a mmorpg isn't really a good thing IMO, and if it's too easy, you'll have alot of high-level people who are bad and/or immature players. Everquest was mostly alot harder on leveling, especially if it was your first character, and this weeded out the people who just can't play worth a dang. Of course, slow leveling isn't such a great thing for casual players though.

All in all, I get the impression that WoW is better for casual/younger players, while some of the other games like EQ are more aimed at the hardcore gamer crowd. I just decided not to sink into another extremely addictive, time-consuming game that may make me want to give up other things in life.

13. Gaza0469

Gaza0469 IncGamers Member

hmm I think the purpose of the post is that - D2X is on its legs and to reccomend an alternative for those seeking an alternative.

For those who are still enjoying D2X then by all means continue playing :) :)

Maybe slightly off topic, and inappropriate due to it being WOW based I played D2X for 5 years, and also converted to WOW recently, I luv both games, if u can afford the $15 per month its definately worth it.

For anyone else looking for a game change, then Guildwars is looking impressive also, these forums support both games , so feel free to read up!