Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

SVCHost.exe possible vulnerability?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Ax2Grind, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

SVCHost.exe possible vulnerability?

Information says this is listed as a possible trojan/password theft process (Microsoft has a legitimate file of the same name), and after someone entered my trade game, stood there for a while, then asked me an oddball question, I had to reboot. Soon after entering a mule game, SVCHost caused a program error, and I've been getting frequent port scans for a while now.

Has any of this proceded the thefts on West or Europe?
    What should I make of this?
    Should I alert my ISP to the port scan issue?
    Other than scanning my system for viruses and such, is there anything else I should be doing to maintain security?

2. Tkennan

Tkennan IncGamers Member

I've heard of elaborate drop hacks that involve actual editing of the game files, and then joining a game, waiting in town for a certain event (I won't elaborate), and being able to drop someone from the game when this event happens.

My guess is that this is exactly what happened to you, only the person was able to crash you completely rather than just drop you from the game. I'd further guess that the scvhost problem is simply a malfunction caused by crashing while it was in the middle of doing something (unrelated) in the background. The guesses would be further supported if the person didn't move in town whatsoever prior to your crashing (necessary for the drop hack I've heard of), and if you don't crash often (since if you did crash often, you probably would have experienced a scvhost issue before now, assuming I'm right).

I highly doubt someone could actually "infect" your computer with something through battle.net, so I wouldn't worry too terribly much about the scvhost issue and the bnet crash being related in a malicious way.

3. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

I could be wrong, but I think what was going on on West had more to do with something to do with passwords that was briefly posted on this site last week, than what you have described.

4. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

actually port scans are pretty common nowadays so if you can detect them then it only means your firewall works properly

i doubt it's d2 related, but one thing you can do is go to console (start->run->cmd.exe), then type tasklist /svc

then google all processes running under svchost (there will be a lot of processes with strange names but most of them are necessary)

5. WhiteAlien

WhiteAlien Banned

Man you are a God :cool:

I was looking for this cmd command for ages.