SUTC3: "The Deuces Wild Twournament"

skunkbelly

Diabloii.Net Member
Heh... don't joke, my three year old already knows the difference between doing Meph runs and Ancient Tunnels runs. He says, "Let's see some octopuses!" (Meph) and "Let's see lizards!" (leapers in the desert on the way to the Tunnels).

Hoop76

Diabloii.Net Member
Ill be out of town the 30th, but will be back that night so should be no problems getting started

ron

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
NAME                     EMAIL
Skunkbelly               memmers4 AT peoplepc DOT com
Wolron                   wolron AT att DOT net
Sir Lister Of Smeg       lister{dot}smeg{at}gmail{dot}com
Hoop76                   bhoop23  at   Yahoo   dot com
skoolbus                 thinkbig67 at      yahoo   dot com
Kdawg                    squeeky622 {at} yahoo {dot} com
zenithsmith              zen_cbaker {at} hotmail.com
AlterEgo                 another dot javahead at gmail dot com
jiansonz		 04084370 [at] bredband.net
ilshad                   ilshad13 [at] hotmail dot com
Colorless Green          email coming later, for now, PM me
Nazdakka                 Nazdakka (at) yahoo (dot) co (dot) uk
Duesnox			 Tanis788 (at) yahoo (dot) com
Rashiminos               Rashiminos (at) gmail (dot) com
Ron                        rselbe (at) gmail (dot) com
I'm ready. The only thing is that I am in Baghdad, so doing a multiplayer gear swap may not be likely. This tourney sounds awesome, cant wait to start!

Rashiminos

Diabloii.Net Member
Obligatory posting of enthusiasm AND a demand that someone who's been thinking of joining to come on and make the players even.

zenithsmith

Diabloii.Net Member
so whats the deal yo? this starting up soon and is lil skunkbelly going to play?

edit: i wrote skunybelly! Ohhhh the shame

Colorless Green

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
NAME                     EMAIL
Skunkbelly               memmers4 AT peoplepc DOT com
Wolron                   wolron AT att DOT net
Sir Lister Of Smeg       lister{dot}smeg{at}gmail{dot}com
Hoop76                   bhoop23  at   Yahoo   dot com
skoolbus                 thinkbig67 at      yahoo   dot com
Kdawg                    squeeky622 {at} yahoo {dot} com
zenithsmith              zen_cbaker {at} hotmail.com
AlterEgo                 another dot javahead at gmail dot com
jiansonz		 04084370 [at] bredband.net
ilshad                   ilshad13 [at] hotmail dot com
Colorless Green          colorlessgr33n (at) gmail (dot) com
Nazdakka                 Nazdakka (at) yahoo (dot) co (dot) uk
Duesnox			 Tanis788 (at) yahoo (dot) com
Rashiminos               Rashiminos (at) gmail (dot) com
Ron                      rselbe (at) gmail (dot) com
Added my email address (finally). Please communicate with me via PM whenever possible however, since that'll guarantee I receive your communication in a far more timely manner.

I hope we actually get to play. Looking forward to it.

-CG

skunkbelly

Diabloii.Net Member
We'll get started tomorrow, one way or another. If there is still an odd number of players, I'll back out and remain in the mix as your humble tournament boss / entertainment coordinator.

Hoop76

Diabloii.Net Member
I wouldnt feel right if you had to drop out. Hopefully someone will decide to join this soon and make it even. If not ill let you have my spot.

Cius

Diabloii.Net Member
If no one else signs up I will. I wanted to sign up but decided not to as time is sometimes limmited so I can't gaurantee daily play, but should be able to do an act per week. The trouble would be all the swapping at each waypoint as I am in a far away time zone etc. Anyways, offer is there. I'll check here tomorrow to see if I am needed.

skunkbelly

Diabloii.Net Member
Hey Ho, Let's Go!

TEAMS!

Skunkbelly – must start a Paladin named Argus
Wolron – must start an Assassin named Bertha

Sir Lister of Smeg – must start a Barbarian named Clyde
Hoop76 – must start a Sorceress named Doreen

skoolbus – must start a Druid named Edgar
Kdawg – must start an Amazon named Freda

zenithsmith – must start a Necromancer named Gregor
AlterEgo – must start a Paladin named Horace

jiansonz – must start an Assassin named Ilya
ilshad – must start a Barbarian named Julius

Colorless Green – must start a Sorceress named Karla
Nazdakka – must start a Druid named Lars

Duesnox – must start an Amazon named Mathilda
Rashiminos – must start a Necromancer named Nate

Ron – must start a Sorceress named Olga
Cius – must start a Paladin named Perez

You may begin play at your convenience. A completely new posting of rules will follow this message, with all updates and changes included. Each team must complete act 1 by Tuesday, October 16. Please put a post in the thread when your team has finished the act... if we're all done early, we can switch early.

skunkbelly

Diabloii.Net Member
SUTC3: “The Deuces Wild Twournament†– AMENDED RULES

This tournament, the latest installment of my “Pass It On†Tournament Series, is sponsored by the number two.

BASIC RULES

-- HC only.

-- Version 1.10, 1.11 and 1.11b are permitted. RWM/RRM are permitted. If you play RWM, you may not use any RWM-only runewords.

-- No Multi-Player permitted (but see EQUIPMENT rules below).

-- You may play on players setting 2, 4, 6 or 8. Not players 1, 3, 5 or 7.

-- Re-running areas is NOT allowed, except for Act Bosses, Shenk, Eldritch, Pindle, and the Countess, who may each be run TWICE (if you wish to risk it). If you run these bosses a second time, you may only pick up the boss and minion drops… you may not pick up other items along the way.

-- Your team will be expected to complete one act every two weeks. If you cannot play through an act in two weeks, please do not sign-up.

PARTNERS

You will be assigned a partner at the beginning of the tournament. This person will be your partner until one of you dies. At that time, you are both disqualified, and your characters are removed from play. The last partnership standing wins the tournament.

You MAY NOT speak to your partner about the builds of your characters. It is up to your partner to figure out how to best spend their skill points and stat points.

CHARACTERS

You and your partner will each be given a character name and class to begin play. Any build is permitted, but you may not choose your starting character: it will be chosen for you. Don’t worry if you don’t like your starting character… you’ll (hopefully) get to play several throughout the tournament!

You and your partner will swap characters every TWO WAYPOINTS. The town waypoint does not count, so technically, you will swap when you have found WPs # 3, 5, 7 and 9, as represented on the WP menu in the game. WPs MUST be found in the order they appear on the in-game screen (i.e., you cannot find Cats 2 before finding the Inner Cloister). When you swap characters with your partner, you must send all items. Please do *not* send your map files. The new player will be on their own to explore. Send only the .d2s file.

To make things really easy, here are the switch points:
ACT 1:
Stony Field
Black Marsh
Jail 1
Cats 2

ACT 2:
Dry Hills
Far Oasis
Palace Cellar 1
Canyon of the Magi

ACT 3:
Great Marsh
Lower Kurast
Upper Kurast
Durance 2

Act 4:
River of Flame

Act 5:
Arreat Plateau
Glacial Trail
Ancient's Way
Worldstone Keep 2

When all teams have completed an act, I will post the names of the players to whom you should send your characters (all email addresses, with the exception of Cius, are found in post #67). These assignments will be made randomly. Your team might get two new characters, or 1 old character and 1 new character, or your same characters might be returned to you. That's the nice thing about random numbers

You may visit previous acts for shopping purposes only.

QUESTS

You may or may not solve quests, as you see fit. If giving up rewards improves your chance of survival, so be it.

SKILL AND STAT POINTS

Skill and Stat points must be assigned in multiples of two. For example, you could NOT place a mere 1 point into Warmth; you could, however, place TWO points into Warmth. If you do not have enough stat or skill points to assign two to a particular stat or skill, then you must hold that point until you earn more.

EQUIPMENT

All play is to be untwinked. ATMA use is permitted, however, for one special purpose.

During the act you and your partner are playing, your character must keep their current gear through each swap point: you may not mule items off your character into an ATMA stash, save items that you find that your character cannot carry, or trade them to your partner. This changes, though, when you complete the act.

When both of your characters have defeated the act boss, you should strip the characters of ALL of their equipment and gold (with the exception of the Soulstone after act 3, and the Horadric Cube). These items should be pooled into one ATMA stash. Then, you and your partner may combine gems, cube runes, pool gold, etc…. and, when you get your new characters, you may decide how best to equip them to ensure survival. After equipping your new characters, all unequipped items (gems, runes, spare items, etc.) should either be carried in your inventory, placed in your in-game stash, or sold. You may NOT keep any items in the ATMA stash once you have begun the new act, with one exception (see below). HINT: it will be smart to make sure you keep some decent items for all classes in your game stash... you never know what sort of character you will have next! HINT #2: if you wish, it might be easiest to swap items with your partner in a multiplayer game. This is the only time MP is allowed.

Other equipment rules:

All items equipped must include the number “2†or the word “two†somewhere in their item description. Examples:

- a weapon with 4-12 damage
- an armor with +2 to defense
- +2 Traps amulet
- a two-handed sword (including zweihanders)
- etc.

This rule does not apply to charms. Be careful when creating runewords… if the new item does not include the number 2, you cannot use it, and your runes will be wasted.

EQUIPMENT EXCEPTION: your partnership may keep all items personalized through the act 5 quest may be kept in a separate ATMA stash, for use as needed. But please note: if you do not have enough room in your character’s inventory to mule in the personalized item, you will have to sell or delete items to make room. Personalized items need NOT have the number 2 in their item description.

MERCENARIES

When sending your character forward, please send your mercenary with ALL of the gear they were wearing at the end of the act. You are on your honor not to strip your merc of good gear in order to disadvantage other players. If I receive a complaint that a merc was sent forward with particularly crappy items, the previous player is very likely to see that character again, despite the "random" distribution of characters. The tourney has a small degree of built-in instant karma. Got it? Good.

ilshad

Diabloii.Net Member
Just seeking a clarification. Does durability count as the item description? Such as an item with 12 maximum durability.

Edit: Oh, one more question: Can skill points be saved or do they have to be spent when it is possible. For example, if you wanted to make a specific build but the skills aren't available yet could the skill points be saved and then spent when the skill becomes available? (well, a level after it is available to meet the two point requirement)

Last edited:

Nazdakka

Diabloii.Net Member
Another question: When a WP is randomly located in an area, can both players clear that area?

skunkbelly

Diabloii.Net Member
Clarifications

1. You may keep starting gear until you find replacements.

2. Anything in the in-game item description counts for the "2" rule.

3. Skill points must be assigned in multiples of two, but they can be saved... of course, there's not much value in this... you cannot discuss your build with your partner, so they may not know what you're trying to accomplish by not spending points. And you certainly wouldn't want to send more unused skill or stat points to your competition.

For WPs, there are a few variations, depending on where you are. Here is an in-depth guide:

1. Where a switch-point WP is randomly placed, the new player may clear the area. This is the case for almost all switch points.

2. Where WPs are pre-determined, proceed as follows:

PALACE CELLAR 1: the player who has to find the WP should find it as quickly as possible, then stop playing. Their partner, if they wish, may clear the level.

CANYON OF THE MAGI: the player who finds the WP should find it as quickly as possible, then stop playing. Their partner, if they wish, may clear the level.

RIVER OF FLAME: the player who finds the WP should clear the River. Their partner should proceed immediately towards the Chaos Sanctuary, and NOT go back to the River "south" of the WP.

Those are the only three WPs where this will be an issue: all other switch-points are randomly placed WPs.

ilshad

Diabloii.Net Member
I had some free time when this started so Julius has already reached the Stony Field wp and has been sent on to jiansonz. This is my first time sending a D2 file via email, so let me know if it doesn't go through and I will send it again. Have school in a couple hours so no more playing for me. Good luck to everyone!

Colorless Green

Diabloii.Net Member
-- Re-running areas is NOT allowed, except for Act Bosses, Shenk, Eldritch, Pindle, and the Countess, who may each be run TWICE (if you wish to risk it). If you run these bosses a second time, you may only pick up the boss and minion drops… you may not pick up other items along the way.
Does this mean that they may be run twice total (once while receiving the quest plus one re-run) or three times total (once while receiving the quest plus two re-runs)?

Also, do re-runs have to occur immediately? Like, if I want to rerun eldritch, does it have to happen before we swap our chars at arreat plateau, or can we do it whenever (assuming we haven't left A5 yet and that no more than the allowed number of runs occurs)?

-CG