Suspicious Behaviour

Silkweed

Diabloii.Net Member
Suspicious Behaviour

Now, I hardly ever play public games, but as you can imagine, getting past level 45 on your own doing solo normal Baal runs is... tedious... at best. So my friend invites me to one of his public Baal runs and so I figure, what the hell, why not.

So the game opens up and the very first thing I do is go through the WS2 WP and start exploring. I learned back in 1.09 never to dawdle around the WP's because of PK's. I don't use maphack, so I start going north-east in following with my anti-Mephy sense since the WP was at the top. While I'm doing this, I notice this little green X slowly following me as I get further and further away.

My gut tells me that something is hideously wrong. I cleared out all of the monsters, and this guy's X looks like he's walking. I check the party HUD and see that he's a necromancer. I come to a dead end and start to double back. I assume that everyone in pubbies is using MH, so why was he following me? I pass him as I run back to the last crossroads, he follows me. No minions. A bonemancer maybe? It seemed strange.

I kept running south-west and everywhere I went, he seemed to follow me, occasionally firing off a lone bone spirit. Around this time, one of my friend's other friends says "So-and-so is a PK."

Save & Exit. I didn't ask questions.

But here's the thing I'm curious about. How the hell might he have gotten me? Sure, he was stalking me, but we were partied. I thought about it later and figured maybe he was planning on bone prisoning me, TP'ing, hostiling, waiting 10 seconds and then coming to get me (like I still would have been stuck in the bone prison...). The thing that frightened me was that he might have been a trigger-necro, but I thought trigger hacks were gone now? Have they come out again?

Assuming he was a PK, what was he up to? How might he have killed me if no one had said anything to make me leave?
 

HAMC8112

Diabloii.Net Member
Silkweed said:
Now, I hardly ever play public games, but as you can imagine, getting past level 45 on your own doing solo normal Baal runs is... tedious... at best. So my friend invites me to one of his public Baal runs and so I figure, what the hell, why not.

So the game opens up and the very first thing I do is go through the WS2 WP and start exploring. I learned back in 1.09 never to dawdle around the WP's because of PK's. I don't use maphack, so I start going north-east in following with my anti-Mephy sense since the WP was at the top. While I'm doing this, I notice this little green X slowly following me as I get further and further away.

My gut tells me that something is hideously wrong. I cleared out all of the monsters, and this guy's X looks like he's walking. I check the party HUD and see that he's a necromancer. I come to a dead end and start to double back. I assume that everyone in pubbies is using MH, so why was he following me? I pass him as I run back to the last crossroads, he follows me. No minions. A bonemancer maybe? It seemed strange.

I kept running south-west and everywhere I went, he seemed to follow me, occasionally firing off a lone bone spirit. Around this time, one of my friend's other friends says "So-and-so is a PK."

Save & Exit. I didn't ask questions.

But here's the thing I'm curious about. How the hell might he have gotten me? Sure, he was stalking me, but we were partied. I thought about it later and figured maybe he was planning on bone prisoning me, TP'ing, hostiling, waiting 10 seconds and then coming to get me (like I still would have been stuck in the bone prison...). The thing that frightened me was that he might have been a trigger-necro, but I thought trigger hacks were gone now? Have they come out again?

Assuming he was a PK, what was he up to? How might he have killed me if no one had said anything to make me leave?
It's a special kinda necro, it's called the lazy leech necro.
 

Silkweed

Diabloii.Net Member
I rejoined the game two seconds later and my friend was talking with his other friend. Apparently he was a well known PK. I just want to know what to look out for in future.
 

senji

Banned
that was a manual tppk not using a script
i've done it countless times on nightmare baal runs and people screaming "hacker pker how you do it etc

if you see any necros hang around his own tp and firing bonespirits its time to leave the game

its very easy while in a baal run because your party will be busy killing baal's minions a perfect target
 

clsurfer

Diabloii.Net Member
This is an old PK tactic that existed back when triggerzons roamed the realm. It has slowly gained some popularity among some inept PKers in 1.10, partially because B.S. damage has increased substantially through synergies, partially because of lack of other lame options (G.A., Hydra, Hammer etc.). Most of the lower level ones are weak, although they can pack out quite impressive damage once they can equip MarrowWalk. I intentionally let one guy (nice_girl, lvl 50ish in normal) hit my char a couple of times, <200 hps per spirit, I haven't seen PKer as weak as this for a while.

As you step into NM and Hell runs, keep monsters between you and any B.S. spamming necros, keep your minions out, they can help to some degree.
 

GrnEggsNHam

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm some guy tried this on me and as soon as he hostiled the spirits dissapated... Anyways getting a spirit to do over 800 PvP is very dificult and I doubt they could hit you with anymore than 3 at the most...
 

PhatTrumpet

Diabloii.Net Member
Wasn't one of the "big deals" of 1.10 to make triggering and tppk impossible? I thought everything was supposed to disappear when you leave an area or hostile.
 

CookiesnCream

Diabloii.Net Member
senji said:
that was a manual tppk not using a script
i've done it countless times on nightmare baal runs and people screaming "hacker pker how you do it etc

if you see any necros hang around his own tp and firing bonespirits its time to leave the game

its very easy while in a baal run because your party will be busy killing baal's minions a perfect target
So exactly how does this pk trick work? If you go through the tp, he'll kill you with BS? But i thought there was a 5 second hostile delay.
 

Silkweed

Diabloii.Net Member
clsurfer said:
I intentionally let one guy (nice_girl, lvl 50ish in normal) hit my char a couple of times, <200 hps per spirit, I haven't seen PKer as weak as this for a while.
That was the necro in my game. The name is familiar to me. Level sounds accurate too.

I have been putting lots of points into strength and dex lately to equip my gear and for better blocking. My life stands only at 460 and I'm level 50. Back in that game, I took a look at my red globe and thought to myself "There's no way I could survive a BS pounding." I kind of a knew a tp would be involved somehow, and due to the slow nature of BS, I can see how a manual tppk is possible.

I'm glad I left when I did.
 

senji

Banned
CookiesnCream said:
So exactly how does this pk trick work? If you go through the tp, he'll kill you with BS? But i thought there was a 5 second hostile delay.
this is even easier than the wp trick.

a good example in in a baal run
while everyone in the party killing his mininons
the necro stay in the back of the throne
x= necro
y= party
b= spirits
m= minions

================
mm
x bbbbbbbbbb y mm
mm

================

necro opens up party screen setup a tp
spams bonespirit in party direction go back to town and hostile

with pratice you can do this really quick and people will start thinking trigger hack is back

dam stupid players
 

jsiv

Diabloii.Net Member
If the bone spirits do NOT disappear when you hostile then I fail to see why there shouldn't already be a trigger out for it. After all, all the trigger does is complete preprogrammed key/mouse clicks for you - only much faster than you could do it manually.

Only means to prevent that would be to make the spirits disappear when you hostiled, which, by the way, I thought they did. Blizzard screwed up again?
 

senji

Banned
jsiv said:
If the bone spirits do NOT disappear when you hostile then I fail to see why there shouldn't already be a trigger out for it. After all, all the trigger does is complete preprogrammed key/mouse clicks for you - only much faster than you could do it manually.

Only means to prevent that would be to make the spirits disappear when you hostiled, which, by the way, I thought they did. Blizzard screwed up again?
there is triggers out aready but not public ones i've seen a few in action

bonespirits definately do not disappear once you hostile because i manually done this befor

so yep they screw up again but its not like trigger zons were back there necros are very seldom
 

clsurfer

Diabloii.Net Member
Yup, Bone spirits remain after the caster goes back to town and hostile, I saw/experienced it myself. It's irresistable and unblockable (assassin's weapon block and amazon's evasive skills can help).

Back when triggerzons were everywhere, the very same script has been used by some "creative" PKers with bone necro, frozen orb sorc and thrower, the last of which is pretty difficult to pull off as their projectiles do not autotrack or have area effect.

You don't have to use the scripts back then, nor do you have to use them now. I recall Rah has done it manually a couple of times in 1.09. I am sure he received some nice compliments for that achievement ;) It took quick fingers to pull off the G.A. trick, as you have little time to tp, go through it and hostile the party before the arrows get out of range. Bone spirit trick is easier, as they travel so slowly that you can easily have five of them going after one target after the hostile. However, they are also easier to avoid because of their speed so long as you are on high alert when you see a necro spamming bone spirits in Baal runs (we all know how efficient B.S.'s are in PvM :p).

On a side note, just because you stay far away from a spirit spamming necro, doesn't mean you are immune to his evil trick. In fact, if there are nothing else between you and the necro, it's especially dangerous if you are outside of his screen. Invisible bone spirits are difficult to avoid, and you might be reading the deeds screen without even seeing what kills you.
 
Top