Survivor Tourney 3 -- Sign Up/Rule Discussion Thread

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
Survivor Tourney 3 -- Sign Up/Rule Discussion Thread

I am going to try this again. I have made one major change to the rules to hopefully avoid the problem from the last tourney. All players will do their Act challenges with the host's character, which will be called the "Runner." To make sure that the Runner makes it to the end, it will be a SC character. (To make sure that this doesn't give the Runner a level advantage, the runner will get a level penalty whenever he dies.)

The Survivor Tourney III – Rules
Tourney start - Friday, July 22th (I will start a new thread announcing the start of the tourney.)

Glossary:

Runner- This is the character that all players will go up against in challenges. See Section V for more on the Runner.

Donator- This is the person in charge of cursing losing players with items. A player becomes the Donator when they win one of their challenges, and remains the Donator until another player wins their challenge. (It is possible that a Donator may not get an opportunity to curse anyone before a new Donator steps up.) The host will be the first Donator. (I still have a bunch of items from Clyde's Cursed Items Stash from the first Survivor tourney, so they will be HC items.)

Winner's Stash- This is a stash of items that challenge winners can choose an item from. Challenge losers will donate an item to this stash, and the host will provide some seed items for the stash from her HC characters. (Nothing too exciting, a few charms, gems, and low end jewelry. I only have a couple of low-level characters to work with right now. It still should be at least as good as the early items winners got in the first 2 Survivor Tourneys.)

I. Basics:

A. This is a Single Player HC Tourney. All participants must create new characters.

B. No game mods are allowed.

C. Your tourney character can use ATMA for an extended stash. Muling items onto your character from other chars, trading with other players (with the exception of challenges, explained later) and duping items are not allowed.

D. Any players setting is allowed, and you may change it at any time.

E. You can run areas as many times as you like. However, you may only kill Act Bosses 3 times.

F. All quests are optional. The only monsters you have to kill are Act Bosses; all other monsters can be ignored. You do not need to collect all of the WPs.

G. The “finish line†for the tourney is killing NM Baal.

H. You must update your character every once in awhile, within a reasonable amount of time. Not posting a char update (or some reason why you haven’t been able to play) for one month = dead.

I. No Save and Exit to escape death.

II. Classes/Builds:
You may freely choose which class and build to play. However, the following classes will have restrictions on them.

A. Necromancer
  1. Skellys are NOT allowed. Revives are allowed.
B. Sorceress
  1. All builds of sorcs are allowed
  2. Sorcs may only place ONE stat point in vitality each time they level up.
C. Paladin
  1. Hammerdins are banned (may only place one point in B Hammer, as prerequisite)
D. Druid
  1. Elemental druids are banned (you may place points in elemental skills, but for synergy purposes only. Don’t use them in combat.)
E. Assassin
  1. Trapsins may not place any points in vitality. A Trapsin is defined as any Assassin who places points in the Traps tree with the following exceptions: 1 point may be placed in Fire Blast, Wake of Fire, and Blade Sentinel. Unlimited points may be placed in Blade Fury.
E. Amazon
  1. Javazons are limited to 1/vit per level. A Javazon is defined as an Amazon that places more than one point in poison javelin and lightning bolt or any points in plague javelin or lightning fury.

III. Scoring:

A. You receive (100-clvl) points upon completing an act. Your challenge score is your cumulative score (including the current act score) + the current act score. The moderator will calculate scores based on the player's level. (In other words, the challenge score is the cumulative score with the current act being counted double.)

B. Example
Code:
Act  Level  Act Score  Cumulative Score  Challenge Score
1    20     80         80                160
2    28     72         152               224
3    34     66         218               284
IV. Challenges

A. When you complete an Act by killing an Act Boss, you must complete a “challenge†before you start the next Act. You can go to the next Act’s town if you want, but you may not leave the town before your challenge is complete.

B. Challenges work like this. Whenever you complete an Act, wait for the call for e-mails for the act you have completed*, then e-mail the tourney moderator (me) at desertcattleya at gmail dot com with BOTH your level as well as your total experience right after killing the Act boss. Also send a full ATMA dump of your best items. The easiest way to do this is to place your best items on the character (or in their inventory/stash) and do a full ATMA dump for the character. This dump will include the stats on the items as well as the character stats (like level and experience.)

*I will post when I have completed an act with the Runner, and after that time, players can send in their e-mails for that act. While you will not be disqualified for sending your e-mail early, it could put you at a disadvantage, as the Runner will know your score before completing the act.

C. You will then complete a challenge with the Runner. If the player's score is higher than the Runners, the player is a "winner." If the player's score is lower, the player is a "loser." The exp points earned shall be used as a tiebreaker, only if the scores are the same. If the scores and XP are the same, then the player wins the challenge.

D. Winners get to pick a new item from the Winner's Stash and become the new Donator, and losers will be forced to give up an item and receive a cursed item:
  1. Once a player becomes the Donator, they will be responsible for cursing any players that fail a challenge until he is unseated as Donator by another player. When cursing another player, the Donator CHOOSES an item from his stash, his merc, or his character, to give to the loser or his merc. This item will be considered “cursed,†and the loser (or the loser’s merc) will then be forced to wear the cursed item for the rest of the tourney, except in case (3). The Donator chooses where the item will be worn, such as on the player of the merc. Donation of terrible, practically useless items is encouraged (but not required). The restrictions on the Donator's donations are the following:
    • The donated item must be wearable, by the loser’s character or his merc. (No charms.)
    • The donated item must not be a weapon. Players must state before their Act I challenge what type of weapon they will use both as a primary weapon and on weapon switch. The options are as follows:
      • 2-handed (dual wield, two handed weapons, bows) If this is chosen, the player may never equip a shield in that weapon switch.
      • 1-handed weapon. Players may use two handed weapons as long a cursed item does not prevent it's use (i.e. a cursed shield.)
      • Boots (Kicksin) -- Weapon switch does not apply, all weapon slots can be cursed.
      • Shield (Smitadin)
      Any other spots not taken up by the weapon as defined above may be cursed.
    • If you are cursed with an item in the weapon/shield slot, the cursed item must always be worn on the main weapon switch used to do most of the killing. (Exception: players who use 2-handed as their main and 1-handed on switch can still use the 2-handed weapon as their main weapon.)
    • The donated item must be magic, rare, set, unique, or crafted.
    • Donating ethereal items (even broken ones) is OK (and great fun!).
    • You may NOT shop NPCs specifically for items to donate. The donated item must be something you either: 1) picked up from the ground (feel free to do Blood Moor runs) 2) bought from an NPC and used yourself until you found something better, or 3) had “cursed†on you by losing a previous challenge.
  2. The winner of a challenge may choose any item from the Winner's Stash. They may use (or not use) the item in any way they choose.
  3. If a player loses a challenge they will have to donate the BEST item from his stash, merc, or character to the Winner's Stash. The moderator will decide which item is given by the loser, based on the ATMA readout sent when the act is completed. The item can be a charm or whatever; it need not be wearable. It can also be the loser's/merc's weapon. There is no restriction on how the winner uses this gift item.
  4. If you lose a challenge, receive a cursed item, and later become the Donator (having worn the cursed item throughout), you can get rid of the cursed item by donating it to a loser. Now the new loser/merc must wear it (and continue to do so).
  5. If a player loses multiple challenges, a new item slot must be cursed each time the player loses a challenge. The next item donated to the player must be something other than a pair of gloves, and going into Act 3 the player must wear BOTH cursed items.
E. After the challenge takes place and items have been exchanged, the player can move on to the next Act (with their new equipment).

F. Cursed items may not be altered in any way. This means no cubing, crafting, or socketing of cursed items. You would have to take off the item anyway to alter it so this is not allowed.

G. If you are planning to use a specific merc, you may declare it before you are cursed with an item that locks in a type of merc. So, if you say HF merc, you may still get him even if you have a cursed weapon/shield on your "temporary" merc. (And if you are using a Act II Norm merc as your temp merc, and they are cursed with a weapon, your HF merc has to use the weapon as well.) However, you cannot change the cursed merc until your declared merc becomes available. So, if you say Act II HF, and someone curses your Rogue merc with a bow, she is yours until NM. To clarify, you can declare/change your endgame merc until a curse prevents it, but if you get cursed before then, you are stuck.

V. The Runner

The Runner will be the character that all players go up against in the challenge. For Survivor Tournament III, the Runner will be played by your host, Cattleya. He will be a drummer barb named Neil. Here are the rules that the Runner will follow.

A. The Runner will be Softcore. :evil:
B. The Runner will not receive reward or cursed items.
C. The Runner will receive a penalty point for each death. At the end of an act, any penalty points earned by the Runner during the act will be added on to the Runner's level when calculating his score. Example: The runner completes Act 2 at level 16 with one death. His level used for calculating his score will be 17. All Runner deaths will be reported in the progress thread.
D. The Runner will be the original Donator, until unseated by another player. To avoid mixing SC and HC items, the items will come from Clyde's stash of crappy items. (He was my character in the original Survivor Tourney.) If I run out of items I will do some countess runs with Jennifer, a HC MA/BF Assassin from AQT3, for items.
E. The runner does not need to wait for challenges before proceeding to the next act.
F. The runner will take a maximum of 2 weeks to complete each Act. (Hopefully less.)

VI. What is Secret/Not Secret Information

A. The LEVEL and SCORE of your character should remain a secret to the rest of the players. (Only the tourney moderator will know this information). Don't reveal your level upon death.I know it is tempting, but it may allow players to estimate the progress of surviving players. I will post all of the level/challenge info at the end of the tournament for the curious.
B. The CLASS and BUILD of your character will be public information, disclosed when you sign up for the tourney. After you start the game, your LOCATION in the game will also be public information for your updates.
C. The results of all challenges are also public. After you complete a challenge, please post whether you won/lost, and what item you received/gave up as a result.
D. Also, your cursed item slots should be public information. That way if you lose future challenges, players will know what item slots are available for them to curse.
E. Other information about your character may be revealed at the player’s discretion.

Updates should be in the following format:

Character Name
Class: character class/build (i.e. amazon/LF zon)
Weapon: main/switch (i.e. 1-handed/2-handed)
Cursed Items: cursed slots (i.e. 1 ring, shield, armor)
Merc: current merc being used

VII. Determining an Overall Winner

A. The winner of the tourney is the player who advances the farthest without dying, NOT the person who has the highest score.
B. In the event that players advance to exactly the same spot, the player with the higher score will be considered the winner.

VIII. Prizes

A. The winner will receive the remaining contents of the Winner's Stash.
B. Donations of nice HC items for the winner is welcome, but not required. (Donated items will be kept separate from the Winner's Stash until it is time to send the items to the winner.)

So, if you are interested, post your character's class and build. Remember, do not start playing the characters until the official start of the tourney. (22-Jul-2005) Feel free to discuss the rules, ask for clarifications, and so on. The final rules will be posted in the progress thread when the tourney starts.

Some notes about this tourney:

The original Survivor Tourney thread is here if you want to see how it went (and get a feel for how the Runner might be played. :) )
http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=301826

The second Survivor Tourney stalled out, but you can see how it went in this thread:
http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=324717

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
I didn't participate in either of the other two, so I have a noob question. Did people complete act 1 at really low levels? like 5 or 6?

I will sign up for this one though, and I have another question. If I want to do an assassin with two claws, can I do that? and make sure that I will always have two claws? I want to know because I want to use weapon block, and that doesnt work too well if I don't have two weapons. ;)

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
skoolbus said:
I didn't participate in either of the other two, so I have a noob question. Did people complete act 1 at really low levels? like 5 or 6?
I think Clyde holds the record killing Andarial at level 7. Keep in mind Clyde was a barb played by the runner for this tourney. ;)

skoolbus said:
I will sign up for this one though, and I have another question. If I want to do an assassin with two claws, can I do that? and make sure that I will always have two claws? I want to know because I want to use weapon block, and that doesnt work too well if I don't have two weapons. ;)
As long as you declare your character 2-handed, you cannot be cursed with a shield or weapon.

JicamaEater

Diabloii.Net Member
Cattleya said:
I think Clyde holds the record killing Andarial at level 7. Keep in mind Clyde was a barb played by the runner for this tourney. ;)
You killed Andy at level 7 with a drummer?

Okay, this sounded way cool during the last round, but I didn't join in time :lol: . It will be a Javazon, though I don't have a good name off the top of my head.

I think this could be hilarious in D1, where you can get horrid items...I kind of miss those...

Wizardhawk

Diabloii.Net Member
Ooo, this tourney sounds like a blast. I need to download ATMA still, i'll get on that tonight or something. Not sure what my character will be yet.

BTW: Noob question - What skills does a 'drummer' use?

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
Wizardhawk said:
BTW: Noob question - What skills does a 'drummer' us
A drummer is a frenzy/double swing barb that uses wands exclusively. I will post Neil's planned build once I get if figured out. I'm thinking maxed Battle Cry, Battle Orders, and enough Double Swing to get it to 0 mana.
JicamaEater said:
You killed Andy at level 7 with a drummer?
Clyde was just a double swing barb, not a drummer, as he used swords. In some ways, at low levels, wands may actually work better than swords. (Although they are more expensive to buy usually.)

Edit:
FodderCannoned said:
I will play in this tourny, I am not completely sure of the rules, but that won't stop me.
Just make sure you understand the build restictions, and don't start a new act until after a challenge. The rest will make more sense once we actually get started, it think.

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
Grrr..
I told myself that my next tourney char was going to be a C/C sin, but I think I'm going to go with a lightning sorc.

Going to be 1-handed, and a HF merc.

JicamaEater

Diabloii.Net Member
Cattleya said:
Clyde was just a double swing barb, not a drummer, as he used swords. In some ways, at low levels, wands may actually work better than swords. (Although they are more expensive to buy usually.)
Oh, I understand now.

I don't think that wands are better. At the very least, a "Wand" has one socket, while "Short Sword"s have (I think) two. Though they are much funnier looking.

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
It will be BFury assassin for me again. She does pretty well in the previous one. (In fact can I start in NM? :))
Note to participants: If you sign for this tournament, you have to spend a time and actually play this character, otherwise the tourney will become not so interesting. At least for players waiting for challenges.
With that said, I have to apologize for not being able to post for first 9 days of the tournament because I will be on vacation.
Have fun, don't die!

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
I want in! I didn't last long enough in S.T. II (died right outside Lut Gholein in Normal). Although, iirc I did manage to kill Andariel at Level 6 so that was something of an accomplishment.

Cattleya, thanks for taking this idea for a tourney and continuing to improve on it. I wish the last one had been more of a success. I like the rule changes and think they will improve participation.

I'm still not sure what character I want to play, but I'll post when I've decided.

EDIT: I get the sense that the Runner is sort of like "par" in golf. I think that adds a really interesting element to the tourney.

Gaz

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm in. I think a Dual weapon Martial art Sin using Dragon claw as a finishing move. Should be interesting.

Gaz

Diabloii.Net Member
Too late to edit. But I thought of a few things I needed to add.

First. The assassin character is going to be using 2 hand weapons, and act 2 mercs. I am not sure which yet as it will depend on whether I need the blessed aim or the holy freeze.

secondly questions:
Weapon slots cannot be cursed, Am I correct?
When does the tournament start?

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
@Hrus: Hopefully, we won't run into the problems of last time. As long as I keep on top of my character, people won't have to wait for stragglers for a challenge. It will also put everyone on equal footing for challenges, which will change the dynamics slightly.

@Azn: Thanks for letting me run with your idea. The tourney density has been pretty high around here, and I think that was one of the problems that #2 ran into. Oh, and I looked it up, and you do indeed hold the Survivor Tourney record for lowest level character to beat Andarial. Clyde will have to step aside. :)

@Gaz: The tourney will start 7/22. I'm willing to guess that any MFO participants (such as myself) will want a small break. I'll post a new thread for progress with the finalized rules telling people they can start. I'll post the thread whenever I get up on the 21st. (Which will be the 22nd for some people.)

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Cattleya said:
@Hrus: Hopefully, we won't run into the problems of last time. As long as I keep on top of my character, people won't have to wait for stragglers for a challenge. It will also put everyone on equal footing for challenges, which will change the dynamics slightly.
I do have a question. Maybe I'm underestimating the power of the build, but isn't a drummer an underpowered character? If the Runner is supposed to be like the "par" score, shouldn't he be more of a mainstream character? Otherwise I can see most people winning challenges without too much trouble.

I admit...I don't know anything about that build so I could very well be wrong about how strong it is.

JicamaEater

Diabloii.Net Member
azn_apocalypse said:
I do have a question. Maybe I'm underestimating the power of the build, but isn't a drummer an underpowered character? If the Runner is supposed to be like the "par" score, shouldn't he be more of a mainstream character? Otherwise I can see most people winning challenges without too much trouble.

I admit...I don't know anything about that build so I could very well be wrong about how strong it is.
I don't think a drummer is any less safe for killing act bosses than another frenzy/DS barb except for killing speed (which is reduced). Since many monsters will likely be skipped, by many players, anyway, then it doesn't matter so much the Drummers are lame at fighting packs (at least in my Act I Normal experience).

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
I was going based on my experience with Clyde. Because of his low level, I couldn't use decent swords anyhow. Wands can get better elemental damage at lower levels, as I don't think he has a good chance of getting any real physical damage regardless of his weapon type. I'm planning on safety at low levels vs. killing speed.

If there are any concerns about my character, we should discuss it, since it will be the Par character. I want to be fair and make sure this is fun for everyone.

How about a little poll:
1) Pure Drummer.
2) 2-handed barb using any weapon helped by mace mastery, playing as a drummer unless it becomes too difficult.
3) Something else entirely.

JicamaEater

Diabloii.Net Member
I didn't play my drummer very far (Tristram, I think). It's a hard build. You lack in damage (unless you find Jewels of Envy before ACT I NIGHTMARE! :lol: ) and being low levels would just compound that, I think.

I think it should be a Conc barb, personally. For a character designed to play at low levels, Concentration sounds to me (though I don't really know enough) like a good balance between offense and defense.

Gaz

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm happy with whatever you want to play for the par character. Obviously a very underpowered character will not have that many people losing challenges, but I could be wrong.