Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

surviving tppk

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by MrZip, Aug 27, 2006.

1. MrZip

MrZip Diabloii.Net Member

surviving tppk

Ok, other than holding out for a 4os eth scourge to make 'oath' I'm pretty much finished with a ww barb I have. So now I'm trying to make him as safe as possible from tppk attacks. (I had one successful pk attack on my 2nd hc char and none since, but I'd like a little room for error if I ever need it) Here's what I have so far:

lvl 87

4k life (low, I know, I'm trying to get better charms)
    24k def
    75% block
    47% dr
    216 fire res (hell = 116 fire res)
    304 cold res (hell = 204 cold res)
    20% cold absorb
    no fire/magic absorb

I figure that Ice Bolt is the main problem, followed by tornado, arrows, bone spirit, firebolt (?) and...anything else?

I'm trying to calculate this but I'm sure I'm messing up somewhere. On a perf sorc, I think we're looking at:

-275 cold res
    +75% dmg
    6948 - 7110 Ice Bolt dmg
    (I don't know how to apply the +75% dmg from fathom/facets to the dmg, is it base dmg? synergized dmg?)

So do I need 450 cold res to have max res in hell? Is the pvp penalty 1/6? If someone knows how to add the facet/fathom dmg, what does that work out to per bolt? And absorb? This post has pretty much turned into a stream of consciousness but yeah, I think you guys get where I'm going. If anyone can help me out with the specifics, especially for other attacks, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

2. MortenMblah

MortenMblah Diabloii.Net Member

Can't you just stay out of baalruns and only quest or farm safely with a mate, when you are lvl87?

3. MrZip

Yeah, but that's the point. I don't want to be scared to join games.

4. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet Diabloii.Net Member

+% damage from Fathom/Facets gets added to the Mastery bonus for each individual element and then applied to the synergized damage. With cold there is no actual Mastery bonus, per se, so Fathom/Facets simply get applied to the net synergized damage, making 10-12k damage entirely possible.

PvP penalty is actually 17%, but for approximate calculations it's fine to use 1/6.

Absorb takes effect after resists, which take effect after MDR, which take effect after Energy Shield.

5. Klauspoppe

Klauspoppe Diabloii.Net Member

bone necro, lighting sorc, guided ama with 12k+ dmg or tornado druid might get you killed if you have no brain enough to evade missiles.

6. Nilaripper

Nilaripper Diabloii.Net Member

The numbers of phat_trumpet and klaus_poppe are correct.
    The max block and % dr are good stuff.If you want to have full cold resists(75 in hell), you need to have 450 total stacked.450-275=175.When a cold TPPK attacks you he will hit you with -100resis:304-275=29.This means -146 when she attacks,but cap is at -100.10k 1666 after pvp 3300 after doubledamage due to -100 resis.You still take 3300 damage each iceblast(minus 660 =20% absorb)Beside that the MAX resistances are important: 75-75-75-75 or 90-90-90-90?.
    If you drink 12 coldpotions(the vendors sell them) your cold resist is boosted 50+ and you have +10 max coldresists for 12*30 seconds,i always do this in public baals, they do not last more than 3-4 minutes.
    If a firebolt hits you(20kdamage) with 75 max res fire in hell you take 3300 fire damage and resist 75 percent:~850 damage each fire bolt.with4 k life you can tank 5 hits, which is sufficient.
    A good tornado druid deals 7k damage,1,2 after pvp 600k after %reduce, you can tank some(watch out if you have the amplify damage curse on you).
    The amazon can reach 12k guided,2k after pvp, 1k after %reduce and you have the chance to block the damage(watch out for amplify).The problem is that you dont see the attack or the guided arrows.
    I dont really know the boner damage, the TPPks seem to hate to play this char since marrowwalk bug is patched some "experts" might help you, magicdamage is hardly resistable and non blockable.

Hope i didnt confuse you too much,i see many barbs play in public hell games because they are the safest chars against tppk due to their high life,maxblock,%dr and resists.
    check out this link, under 43b you find the "steps" for taking damage and a damage calculator.
    http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=d2-gameplay&t=163465&p=1&#post163465

7. MrZip

Ah, thank you. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I still have a ways to go but I have a better idea of what I need.

8. Wordplay

Wordplay Diabloii.Net Member

Well, you could as well create your own über-char and mop the floor with the wannabe-exploiters. Would teach them a lesson, it would, if you managed to kill all their lv.90 chars (fully equipped and aimed for TPPK). ;)

9. bigD72

bigD72 Diabloii.Net Member

Atleast 2 people making a tppk proof character, I wonder if it'll work.

10. Klauspoppe

Klauspoppe Diabloii.Net Member

I didnt know marrowwalk bug was patched. Oh well I guess good bone necro can still do around 6k damage which is magic damage so reduces not work after pvp penalty each bs will make 1k dmg so you will die after 4-5 hits.

Good guided zon can make over 2k with 1 hit even if you have 50% dmg reduce if your amped its doubled so your baba might die by just 1 arrow.

11. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet Diabloii.Net Member

12. happyslayer

happyslayer Diabloii.Net Member

My newest char is going to be a modified bvc, should be a lot of fun for hunting down pkers. I'll probably die first time I step outside, though...lol.

13. bigD72

bigD72 Diabloii.Net Member

Seems to me that the best anti-tppk (not dying) character would be a Druid.

Any kind would do, but wolf or bear would have more life, and a fully synergized cyclone armor would knock of a nice chunk of a damage from the elemental attacks. The Sage would provide lots of life regardless of if you go for a shapeshift or not.

From a pure skill point look, you'd have to put 1 in wolf, max the 4 wind things, max sage, and then you could do bear or save the point for an extra bit in extended the time and life (although a bear has more life.)

I assume you can cast cyclone armor/hurricane and then shift?