Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Survival Bonus and Achievements

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Hakarrod, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Hakarrod

Hakarrod IncGamers Member

Survival Bonus and Achievements

First, does anyone know if any kind of Survival Bonus, a la Sacred II, might be considered for D3? For those who haven't played that game (which was fun for about a week before I missed D2... which reflects poorly on me and my D2 obsession rather than the developers of Sacred II, it's decent actually), survival bonus is a percentage based stat that increases the level of the monsters you fight in relation to the amount of time since your last death. It also factors in, some how, time spent while in combat. So basically, the longer you survive the better the drop potential. While this is fun and all, it makes the monsters tougher which means if you are an elitist type player who doesn't die very often you will be facing monsters up to 10 (or 20, I forget) levels above you regularly. I personally liked the greater challenge and the improved drops but what would have really sold me on this idea is if instead of increasing the monster levels, it acted as a type of /players 8 change to the monster difficulty. Instead of higher level drops, I would rather just have more drops. But that's my preference.

Just wondering if anything similar to that had been mentioned by Blizzard.

The other thing I was wondering about is if they will have a way to keep track of achievements, or even just player stats. i.e. how many monsters I have killed, longest killing streak, boss kills, rares/sets/uniques found etc. I like sports as much as the next guy and these kinds of things, while not necessary, are fun.

Does anyone think a good idea would be to have bonuses tied to particularly hard achievements?

Slayer of the Fallen : Player has killed 50,000 Fallen. +10% Damage to Fallen (permanent). +1% Magic Find when you kill a Fallen (lasts 5 minutes).

Or something like that.

Maybe in order to make it a little more special, instead of just a general achievement that all players can get, you attach the reward bonus to a specific item. If you ever get rid of that item then the reward is attached to it, like a socketed gem or rune and you have to earn the achievement again to place it on a new item. This would make items a little more personalized.

Would giving MF bonus % based on achievements be a viable option instead of having to equip MF items and possibly sacrifice character killing potential?

2. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

Re: Survival Bonus and Achievements

I remember seeing discussions here about what you're saying - basically instead of penalizing a player when he dies, the game should provide bonuses for the longer he lives.
    AFAIK Blizzard has never mentioned anything like that.

However, in the Blizzcon build, you would get Bonus XP when you survived a fight on low HP. So its a way for rewarding players who take more risks, instead of players who play it completely safe and wait longer between battles, like what you're suggesting. Seems better IMO.

Of course, some players will still prefer to play it safe - because of Hardcore.

3. sunkenfaith

sunkenfaith IncGamers Member

You know, that is an interesting idea. I have never played Sacred 2 myself, so I don't really know.

4. Autti

Autti IncGamers Member

The problem with such a system is that is in the first instance the SacredII reference, the game will get harder and harder until you die. Don't think Blizzard would want to make people die like that.

The 2nd example of following kill stats and rewarding would make it easier, which Blizzard would be reluctant to do, because it rewards extensive game time, and people who play more are already rewarded through higher exp and better items.

5. Hakarrod

Hakarrod IncGamers Member

In response to your first statement, the system has a limit so that the monsters will only be 10 or 20 levels higher at the highest survival bonus which theoretically is 99%. With the way that game is designed, this can be a challenge to a poorly planned character (or really unlucky one) but with a character in half-way decent gear that compliments his/her skill choices the ramped up challenge isn't too hard at all. After trying it, I thought it was a great idea but could be better with the change I noted in my first post. Yes, it potentially makes the game more challenging but it's also a way to have a form of useful MF that doesn't rely on items and rewards players for their skill.

As for the second response, that is a valid point, but in my mind, more rewards=more fun, as long as they are diverse and meaningful.

6. Autti

Autti IncGamers Member

I would personally love a system like this, it rewards good play by increasing the difficulty making it more engaging and giving better drops. That said, i think Blizzard would be hesitant because it will widen the divide between hardcore D3 players and casual gamers, which they are reluctant to do.

Again i agree with the philosophy personally, it terms of rewarding players, but implementing a system such as this would reward running sections over and over again. What i would like to see is the opposite of your suggestion, repeatedly killing the same monsters would decrease exp gradually and decrease drop rate, encouraging players to run different areas.

7. Daerius

Daerius IncGamers Member

I like the rewards for specific achievements, but I'm afraid people would just end up farming achievements to get the passive bonuses.

Not that that is very different than grinding to level up.

8. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard IncGamers Member

I like the idea of survival bonuses. I don't like Sacred 2 making monsters keep getting tougher and tougher as your survival bonus rises (the monsters eventually get to quite a few levels higher than you.) That results in some builds becoming too hard to play. They will eventually die and if you are playing hardcore bye-bye character.

It would be nice to have a positive reward for keeping your character.

9. Funkopotamus

Funkopotamus IncGamers Member

Perhaps if there's a time limit on it you will plateau out.

10. AngelicFaces

AngelicFaces IncGamers Member

You do get a XP bonus for killing X number of demons in Y amount of time.

11. engagequadlaser

engagequadlaser Banned

Removed
    10char

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009