Survability in pubbies as a pally

Penance

Diabloii.Net Member
Survability in pubbies as a pally

hi there

after a long absence, I'm back to this game and I plan to redo an HC avenger (possibly a tesladin or frostladin, dunno yet, any recommendation would be appreciated ^^) since I had loads of fun with him.

When 1.10 came out, I had a ~90 HC ladder one so am not a total noob concerning PvM survability :)
However, browsing those boards for a few days, it seems TPPK and other PK hacks are more rampant than ever, so am more worried now than I was before.
I'll only play public games (or a majority at least) so I'd like your opinion on the chance of a pally to survive with all those hacks around. I tend to think that a max res (hopefully 95/95/95/90 with GA), high def, max block avenger should have a chance to survive those, but I may be very wrong :(

If not (even if it's yes, it'll take a long time to get thoses stats anyway), do you have any tips ?

thx

scottskyetwo

Diabloii.Net Member
Ide stay out of pub baal or rush games, thats where most tppkers are, if you do play pub baal do it private. Or go to a game and solo with people in there

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
Even with those resist numbers you will still be vulnerable to a cold sorc TPPK'er. The -cold resist of a high level cold mastery will make your 95/95/95/90 look more like 95/-100/95/90 as the Ice Blasts are barreling down on you. You can't just get a high cold resist you have to have something along the lines of 400% stacked cold resist.

And as far as playing in public games without those stats goes, if you play around high level characters you will almost certainly get TPPK'ed before you reach guardian status. Playing in Act 1 in Baal games, or running Baal in Act 1, etc is the safest way if you must play in public games.

-hps

masakerr

Diabloii.Net Member
Make a character for dying and go inot public games. Act like ya just fell off the boat. Test the good nature of the public games, just don't use anything really good on the character!

It's happened to me, it's happened to friends. "They" are out there. "They" are looking for you (lol).

Penance

Diabloii.Net Member
Even with those resist numbers you will still be vulnerable to a cold sorc TPPK'er. The -cold resist of a high level cold mastery will make your 95/95/95/90 look more like 95/-100/95/90 as the Ice Blasts are barreling down on you. You can't just get a high cold resist you have to have something along the lines of 400% stacked cold resist.

And as far as playing in public games without those stats goes, if you play around high level characters you will almost certainly get TPPK'ed before you reach guardian status. Playing in Act 1 in Baal games, or running Baal in Act 1, etc is the safest way if you must play in public games.

-hps
thx Hp_Sauce, I saw your anti-TPPK tips in other treads and they sure were useful :)

From what I read, a lot of different classes can TPPK, but the vast majority (and most dangerous) seems to be the cold sorc (damn CM).
Maybe that's a stupid suggestion but what about dual wielding Raven rings ? Does it make the required frost resist attainable ?

Penance

Diabloii.Net Member
Some useful info in that regard thx to MoUsE_WiZ:

VS a 12k ib:
dual ravens, no stacked res: 800
stacked res, no ravens: 500
stacked res to 90% with snowclash: >200 (don't recall the exact +absorb on snowclash, but it's pretty decent), >100 if you manage to hit 95%
stacked res to 75% + dual ravens: 100
but I'm not really sure how those numbers evolve with -%res stuff :/

Nilaripper

Diabloii.Net Member
A coldsorc Tppk reduces coldresists with coldmastery to 270 with facettes, fathom,skillers.A paladin can use a 4-sapphire socketed +45 resall shield=205coldres,45all.You need ~450 coldresists in hell vs such Tppks.450-275=175. 175 coldresists in hell when they attack.Kiras guardian also helps alot,70all, if thuled 100 coldresists.
Most dangerous are winddruids and bowazons, they do physical damage and this kind of damage can only be reduced by 50%,some wait for you to be "amped" and then their damage is even higher.
To avoid the windddrus is pretty obvious, never,never ever stand beside a dru spamming tornadoes, good ones do 7k,1,1 after pvp... so 2-3 hits kill you(if no %dr gear).
The bowazons are hard to avoid,the good ones can reach 12k (2k after pvp)guided arrow, they attack off screen and you dont see them.Es sorces or vita barbs or vita druids can tank their Tppk attempts,but for a pala without cta its very hard.
There are light sorces and fire sorces who Tppk aswell...if you are hit by 40k lighnin(~6500 after pvp) you are dead, but they rarely hit with max damage.
Fire sorces can be avoided by using hotspur boots...or if you use Ga its even better.
I had a charger-paladin, wanted to fight some Tppks, but they never duel so just make your char a tank.

MoUsE_WiZ

Diabloii.Net Member
There are light sorces and fire sorces who Tppk aswell...if you are hit by 40k lighnin(~6500 after pvp)
450 CR is a bit misleading... if a TPPK *REALLY* (say you're top 16 or something) wants your ear and figures out you stack CR there's nothing to stop them from waiting for an extremely common LR curse, or a reasonably common conviction, or an occaisional combination of the two. Also if they use a -30% 1h or something instead of fathom and other such choices it can really **** you up if you've underestimated resists.

The thing with Lightning, GA, Tornado, etc, is that (imo) a good PvM build will have the counters built into it anyways. I don't build without 75% block ever. If I'm building without 50% DR, tgods, and stacked LR, it means the gear doesn't exist on the realms for the numbers you listed to be realistic either. I know I'm not alone here either, that's why I personally only consider iceblast dangerous, you kind of have to go out of your way to live through it.

Nilaripper

Diabloii.Net Member
450 CR is a bit misleading... if a TPPK *REALLY* (say you're top 16 or something) wants your ear and figures out you stack CR there's nothing to stop them from waiting for an extremely common LR curse, or a reasonably common conviction, or an occaisional combination of the two. Also if they use a -30% 1h or something instead of fathom and other such choices it can really **** you up if you've underestimated resists.
My pala had over 700CR,but it turned out to be not really necessary, a cold Tppk needs appropriate FCR aswell to be able to strike effectively, i never seen such TPPKs equipped with the gear you mentioned, i always drink anticold potions in public baals(30seconds +10CRmax+50 coldresis), drink 16 of them and your CR are untouchable for 5 minutes.

Rekoc

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually thaw potions only give 50 resist and 10 max cold. Drinking them only stacks timer not the actual cold resist.

Wardawn

Diabloii.Net Member
If you're in the know about fending for yourself when it comes to PvM then playing alone or with a small group would be better. It's tricky but you're not taking as much risk of getting killed by another player.

SuicideSong

Diabloii.Net Member
Just thought I'd pop by and drop in my 2 cents.

I just returned to the game about 3 weeks ago. Naturally this means I started my new HC character untwinked. However, on top of that, I haven't really met any proper friends or have any IRL friends that I know of at the moment.

My first character was a phoenix striker. Got her to level 58. Then I entered a level 81 wind druid's portal. Next thing I know he wants me to 'suck his d*** b***h plz cuz u just got owned by [tppker's name]' with his stupid automated message. My second character was a shadow master (venom/sm/dc). I figured a strong shadow master would work well for solo survivability. However, I repeated the same mistake by joining NM Baal runs. About one hour ago, I was tppked by a GA Zon. I got a similar automated message again. Where I'm leading this to is how difficult it can be to 'just' solo or 'just' party with a few friends. First off, some of us don't have too many friends available for baal runs. Standard questing by yourself is not an option as the ratio of your level to monster strength turns in their favour by the time you kill baal in your current difficulty.

Naturally this means I am forced to enter public games if I want to progress. Progression is incredibly and I mean ridiculously slow if you aren't a cookie-cutter caster. I suppose I should have learned my lesson by dying twice to TPPK'ers in the exact same environment. However -- even though I don't know what I'll make next -- I still expect to see myself joining NM Baal runs. There are just so little options when the HC community is so minuscule and the entire game list consists of maximum 5 games, ranging from "Akt1begin" to "baalface-3095380593".

Meeting new, trustworthy people is quite difficult because of the lack of people to interact with. It is much easier said than done to 'just avoid' pubbies. They are becoming a necessity for the newer, untwinked players like myself or the original poster. Personally I think the only class that can pretty much get away with being in a public game is a summoner necromancer, save wind druids and blizzard sorcs. If you really want an ultimate challenge further than HC, hop over to LoD Europe HC and you'll get a coherent idea as to how difficult it is to avoid a tppk'er because of the circumstances we are put under. :wink3: