Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Surround Sound Great

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by KadoorieNuts, Aug 30, 2006.

1. KadoorieNuts

KadoorieNuts IncGamers Member

Surround Sound Great

Hi all. I do many mf lately 3-4hrs daily. And it is pretty boring. So I decided to buy myself another pair of rear speakers. My pc comes with 5.1 so it is easy. The experience is amazing, especially at tunnel fight. The sound of LoD is that good ...don;t miss it. (Take a look of the label on the LoD disc!)

2. TheBhoy

TheBhoy IncGamers Member

Yeah i have that set up on pc but not my laptop - what a difference. Maggot lair and ubers are scary as

3. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

I've always been interested in surround sound. I wasn't sure if there was any difference between 5.1 and 7.1, but your post suggests that there is. Could you elaborate? And how do you get all those cables and leads from tangling up and getting in the way?

4. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

i have a sb audigy2 zs and a sony 5.1 reciever, using the 3 headphone-rca (multi in) works great with the sound card decoding the 5.1
    i spent several hours trying to get the optical working without any luck
    anytime a new sound would play the reciver would say unlock then switch to 5.1 and play half of the sound then say unlock and go back to 2ch stereo
    the card supports 7.1 with special rca cables or optical, i need a better reciever to use it tho
    as far as keeping the cables together, zip ties and marker to flag center, sub and, rears

5. sKuLLz

sKuLLz IncGamers Member

yer i am thinking about purchasing a sound card i only have 5.1 surround sound speakers at the moment but i also have a sterio that i can hook up to comp should i pay a extra 10 and get the 7.1??????

6. KadoorieNuts

KadoorieNuts IncGamers Member

There are few points worth mentioned regarding surround setup.

1. Don't spend too much money. Probably another pair of rear is enf. Check the rear sockets of your pc; most comes with 5.1. If not buy the cheapest 5.1 sound card (USD30-50).

2. Even on a budget don't buy mini-rear speakers. Buy one with decent (not supreme) bass. The extra dollar worth every penny of it. Mine cost USD25 (TEC Sound CPT707) and sounds excellent.

3. Make sure the position of each front and rear (Left/Right) speaker is place at correct position. Many sound cards come with testing software which can identify them for u.

4. Tune the front and rear sound level to project a 3D sound-field. (Again Tunnel fight e.g. Countess is the best scene for adjustment.) If u are using 4.1, make sure it configure that way or else u will loss the center sound.

5. 7.1 system is not worth the money if u play in a small room. (That extra mid-pair is supposed to fill the sound gap between front and rear pair for a larger room.) I even consider center speaker (5.1) a wasted. The center speaker very likely will block your screen and u end up place it either lefty or righty.

A pair of rear and the sound card may cost u USD60 but divides the amount by the number of hour u play. It will turn out to be the best investment you ever made (unless u bought Mircosoft stock at 80s').

7. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Hey that's useful info, especially on the difference between 5.1 and 7.1. I'll definitely keep that in mind when I get round to getting a setup, most probably from Sound Blaster. Thanks for the tips.