Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Supreme Court Ruling Federal Authorities Can Prosecute Med Pot der

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Darnoc, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Darnoc

Darnoc Diabloii.Net Member

2. Geeno

Geeno Diabloii.Net Member

Well we all knew it would come to this. If ever left to the states, it definately wasnt going to be any time soon.

I firmly believe that the feds have no right to impose such laws and perform such actions.

Because of the US drug policy, a young woman is going to rot in a Bali jail for 20 years.

and let me tell you, pot is a lot more in demand in Bali than Australia. So theres like 0% chance that she was legitamately trying to smuggle it back to her homeland.

3. Darnoc

Darnoc Diabloii.Net Member

"Justice John Paul Stevens, writing the 6-3 decision, said that Congress could change the law to allow medical use of marijuana."

"Under the Constitution, Congress may pass laws regulating a state's economic activity so long as it involves "interstate commerce" that crosses state borders. The California marijuana in question was homegrown, distributed to patients without charge and without crossing state lines."

"The legal question presented a dilemma for the court's conservatives, who have pushed to broaden states' rights in recent years, invalidating federal laws dealing with gun possession near schools and violence against women on the grounds the activity was too local to justify federal intrusion."

Doesn't the high court seem a little confused? They won't step in to stop violent acts, but they'll raid your house for pot? Also, how is congress supposed to step in if it doesn't involve interstate commerce?

4. llad12

llad12 Diabloii.Net Member

Confused? Christ, the court has yet to rule on Jose Padilla, a US citizen, that has been held in Federal prison without charges for nearly three years. His constitutional right of Habeas Corpus has been ripped apart.

----------

On topic, I find this ruling despicable. Many of these people are dying. If they can find some temporary relief from their misery by smoking a reefer, then, by God, it should be allowed.

Is there no mercy for these poor unfortunates?

5. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak Diabloii.Net Member

Damn Llad. The more I read your posts the less seriously I can take you.

Garbad

6. llad12

llad12 Diabloii.Net Member

Well, I guess you can vote me out on next year's OTF furrowed brow award. ;)

----------

One can scream about the legality of states v federal rights until the cows come home.

The more important issue to me is alleviating the suffering of individuals in their final days upon this Earth. The consumption of Mary Jane has been shown to be clinically effective for nausea in many chemo patients. To some, it is a God-send.

So now, our federal agents have been issued a judicial confirmation of the right to invade citizen's homes, confiscate a viable medicine, and arrest dying cancer or aids patients. Jeez, I guess those patients can just sit in their jail cells, puking their guts out in sheer misery, until the court hears the cases and subsequently finds them guilty of possessing, cultivating and smoking -Gasp!- marijuana.

Marihuana ... oh my God! The evil weed will ruin their lives!!!! :eek:

-----------

Where is the humanity and compassion for these people?

I stand by what I posted.

7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I doubt they will be going after the little old grandma with glaucoma. Instead I bet they only charge the 22 year old with a prescription because he has 'knee pain" . They showed on the news here how easy it was to get a prescription, there are places listed in the phone book. They didn't even have to see anyone in real life, the prescription was mailed to them.

8. Garbad_the_Weak

Or ask the real question - why pot as opposed to some other drug?

Its not like we are kicking poor starving orphans into the street to get mauled by rabid dogs. Don't dramatize, if they don't use one drug they use another. No one is going to suffer any more, they will simply change drugs. And maybe, just maybe, it will help reduce nonmedical drug problems.

Garbad

9. Yaboosh

Yaboosh Diabloii.Net Member

There are numerous reasons that pot is used as opposed to other painkillers, allergies, nausea, effectiveness. Many argue that there is no alternative to the effects of marijuana in terms of effectiveness.

Edit: Once this usefulness is acknowlegded by the mainstream docs in this country the schedule of marijuana will change and this will no longer be an issue. Currently, marijuana, being a schedule I drug, has officially "NO medical utility". This just seems blatantly false given evidence from the use of it as a medicine in recent years.

10. Necrolestes

Necrolestes Diabloii.Net Member

For chronic pain, sometimes dronabinol (medical marijuana) is the only drug that works (multiple sclerosis is one condition that is resistant to normal pain medications; for some unknown reason, THC is a drug that continues to work well no matter how severe the disease becomes). There are some forms of glaucoma that are resistant to relief and dronabinol provides that relief (there are other forms that do respond to more conventional therapy).

However, for nausea associated with chemotherapy, dronabinol is a last-line drug, not the first. There are far better options for chemotherapy-induced nausea (ondansetron, prochlorperazine, and metaclopramide are the first, second, and third-line drugs...they have no addictive potential and work more effectively than dronabinol). Only if a patient fails the previous therapies would a physician consider prescribing medicinal marijuana for chemotherapy-induced nausea.

Just a med student's perspective on the matter.

11. Garbad_the_Weak

If there is a legitimate use, lets see evidence. Call me a skeptic, but I want to see some proof of use or at least proof of a conspiracy theory to suppress pot before I protest.

And once you find proof, I need to see why the additional utlity of that drug as opposed to others outweighs the risk of abuse to society.

Garbad

12. Pherdnut

Pherdnut Diabloii.Net Member

I was confused for a second there, but it looks like you and the med student posted simultaneously. Can't stand the stuff myself, but I'm not seeing how casual consumption of it is a dangerous abuse to society any more than alcohol or television is.

13. Yaboosh

Are you kidding? You don't need a conspiracy theory, you just need to recognize that this country is stubborn about things that they have been steadfast about since the 20's. Marijuana has enormous biases working against it, doesn't even need a conspiracy.

As for your second statement, why do you even need alternatives? Why restrict the use of something that has medical utilities and almost no side effects just because there is a tradition in this country to restrict its use?

14. Garbad_the_Weak

Tradition? Who gives a rat's ass about tradition.

The problem I (and presumably the legislators) are worried about is the gateway effect, crime, etc that come from pot that generally do not come from other drugs.

And if you think pot causes no problems, fine with me. I even would agree it is far less dangerous than alcohol, for example. But then lets legalize it all together and not this farce of medical need.

Garbad

15. Yaboosh

Where do you think your ideas about the "gateway effect", crime, etc. come from? Certainly not recent studies. They come from tradition.

16. Garbad_the_Weak

Ok, if tradition is that broad, maybe so. Of course, your desire to smoke pot comes from tradition too. As does virtually everything else in the world.

And also, I find it hard to imagine smoking pot can't qualify as a tradition. We probably have third generation potheads on this forum.

Garbad

17. Yaboosh

My desire to smoke pot is less tradition and more non-existent, but that is neither here nor there.

I am simply stating that the myths of the gateway effect and crime causing effects of marijuana come from the DEA's very questionable "studies" and the resulting propaganda. That is what I labeled tradition.

18. Garbad_the_Weak

If you mean tradiation, say it. If you mean misinformation, say it. And back on topic, we still need some information that it is actually beneficial, otherwise I will assume the legislature did its job and make a fair judgement.

Garbad

19. Necrolestes

Necrolestes Diabloii.Net Member

Last chance for Mary Jane

To all who say marijuana is not addictive, I present the following...

Marijuana does have an addicting effect similar to that of cocaine, although the method is different. Cocaine prevents the reuptake of a neurotransmitter called norepinephrine (or for the benefit of our British chums, noradrenaline); this leads to a feeling of euphoria that the body really, really likes and will go to great lengths to duplicate. Marijuana acts as a dopamine (another neurotransmitter) agonist, again leading to a sense of euphoria and well-being. Marijuana also affects another neurotranmitter, GABA (gamma-amino butyric acid), by simulating GABA's affects on an excitatory neuron (leading to more euphoria and bliss).

To say that marijuana is not addictive is sadly an untruth.

20. Yaboosh

What you just described can be linked to any pleasurable activity. Skydiving can be addicting, driving fast, sex, eating, blah blah blah.