Supreme Court Overturns Chicago Gun Ban

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Supreme Court Overturns Chicago Gun Ban

If the Supreme Court makes a decision which nobody likes, the parliament has to change the constitution to make things more precise on these matters
It not that nobody likes it. Of course some people are in favor of it (using abortion as the example). The issue at hand is how the Court makes it's rulings. Clearly abortion itself is not in the US Constitution so they use "emanations from the penumbra" as a way to legalize it rather than have lawmakers write the legislation.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator

The people might not like the justification (the right for privacy), but I'm sure that a lot of them agree to the result. The only solution would be changing the constitution. Not necessarily to come to a different conclusion, but to provide a better justification.

BTW, I won't discuss my point of view regarding abortion... I haven't even told it so far. Don't confuse what I wrote above with what I believe myself to be right.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member

The people might not like the justification (the right for privacy), but I'm sure that a lot of them agree to the result. The only solution would be changing the constitution. Not necessarily to come to a different conclusion, but to provide a better justification.
Well, if you read the article cited elsewhere you'll notice that the result is and was superfluous. In the case of Roe, abortion was already a legislative matter - meaning it was in the hands of the electorate. Abortion was already legal in many areas, just not ubiquitous 'cosmetic' abortion 'on demand'. The Supremes decided to remove this right using the spurious emanations from the penumbra claim Amra identified (which I always translate as 'projections of a shadow'). If Roe is overturned, the matter returns to jurisdiction at the local state level.

All the hand-wringing twisted-knickers fascist left types predicting the end of the world if Roe is overturned (as "Roe" herself desires) are against the freedom of the people to decide whether they should commit infanticide or not. Because Federal funding is the only way the fascist left can keep Planned Parenthood in business.

It's not all that different regarding the right to bear arms, or public schooling, or a large number of the fascist left's sacred cows. They don't stand on their own merits, without a overbearing and unresponsive Federal machine backing them against the constituency.
BTW, I won't discuss my point of view regarding abortion... I haven't even told it so far. Don't confuse what I wrote above with what I believe myself to be right.
Yah sure. :crazyeyes:

Thomh

Diabloii.Net Member

Are you trying to convince anyone by using all that ad-hominems and straw men against everyone to the left of you politically? Or is it "fun"? Let me say that you aren`t particularly succesful at either of those options.

SonataArctica

Diabloii.Net Member

Jmerv's so afraid of anything 'left' that he'll make 3 'rights' just to take one and wakes up on the proper(right) side of the bed every morning.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member

Are you trying to convince anyone by using all that ad-hominems and straw men against everyone to the left of you politically? Or is it "fun"? Let me say that you aren`t particularly succesful at either of those options.
Fun for me, and any amusement for others is incidental. Offending you is just gravy (assuming you self-identified with the 'fascist left').

Or do you think I'm some sort of frickkin' public servant? :whistling:
Jmerv's so afraid of anything 'left' that he'll make 3 'rights' just to take one and wakes up on the proper(right) side of the bed every morning.
Not afraid - just more aware of efficiency and reality. :neener:

Thomh

Diabloii.Net Member

Fun for me, and any amusement for others is incidental. Offending you is just gravy (assuming you self-identified with the 'fascist left').

Or do you think I'm some sort of frickkin' public servant? :whistling:
Heh, you don`t really offend me. I was actually curious why you write posts like the one I responded too. The whole post is a straw man, lots of ad-hominem and basically every other fallacy you can name into a stinking pile of hate speech.
You answered that one, so I`m done. Carry on with whatever you`re doing.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member

What a nonsense.
Care to prove which part?
The whole post is a straw man, lots of ad-hominem and basically every other fallacy you can name into a stinking pile of hate speech.
I'd love to know how you conjured my response into this form. I doubt you could take my challenge to krischan either. Additionally, unless one pre-supposes that the leftist's beloved "fascist" label is hate speech, then that's exactly what Federal legislation explicitly designed to favor some business interests (but not others) is. I'd not pretend that there are no American right-leaning fascists, but they're vastly outnumbered by those on the left, who believe that the Feds ought to pick commercial winners & losers.

Weapons manufacturing companies benefit from Gov't contracts, but the private industry side is quite hobbled. I think that small aircraft manufacturers might be a bit more persecuted, but I can't think of another off-hand.
You answered that one, so I`m done. Carry on with whatever you`re doing.
But that's boring, and it's nice outside.

nurman

Diabloii.Net Member

I have no problem with guns. As long hillibillies keep shooting each other and control their own numbers with that, I'm all in for the guns /end of sarcastic tone.

Thomh

Diabloii.Net Member

I'd love to know how you conjured my response into this form.
Read the the thing you wrote about Roe again. I actually would rather chop off a finger than debate that nonsense with you, so consider yourself a "winner" by forfeit.

But that's boring, and it's nice outside.
Agreed. It`s more than 20 C outside here, I should run around naked since it`s been raining non-stop for three weeks:)

Edit: As for the original topic. I don`t mind whatever laws americans have when it comes to guns, they are more than welcome to do whatever they please as long as it doesn`t affect the rest of us (too much):)

nurman

Diabloii.Net Member

Keep? I wasn't aware they were to begin with. :crazyeyes:
Ofc they did. It's not like they can talk their problems out. *YOU STEPPED TO MY LAWN, NO DIE!*

Sometimes the problem can be the cure.

Think about smoking, nobody who is smart enough can be stupid enough to smoke.

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Ofc they did. It's not like they can talk their problems out. *YOU STEPPED TO MY LAWN, NO DIE!*
Have you ever actually lived in a rural area in the US, or do you just go by what you see in the movies?

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member

Read the the thing you wrote about Roe again. I actually would rather chop off a finger than debate that nonsense with you, so consider yourself a "winner" by forfeit.
You're no fun - I want that finger!
Chicago Sun-Times said:
Chicago approves new handgun restrictions
45-0 vote comes after Supreme Court hits city on gun ban
Comments

July 2, 2010

By ABDON M. PALLASCH Political Reporter

Chicago aldermen voted unanimously today to approve compromise gun restrictions they hope won’t run afoul of the U.S. Supreme Court majority’s new standards on gun bans.

The 45-0 vote, coming four days after the U.S. Supreme Court issued a ruling against the city’s handgun ban, puts in place strict limits on guns.

The new ordinance, which city officials called the strictest in the nation, allows adults in Chicago to buy one gun a month — 12 a year. But they must pay registration and permit fees and take five hours of training.

The measure prohibits gun shops in Chicago and bars gun owners from so much as stepping outside their homes with a handgun, even if it’s only onto their porches or garages.

The vote might have been unanimous, but it didn’t come without complaint. Aldermen railed against the five Supreme Court justices who ruled against the city, finding that Americans have a right to own a gun for self-defense anywhere they live.

“No Supreme Court judge could live in my community and come to the same conclusion they did,” said Ald. Lorraine Dixon (24th).

Aldermen said they believe it’s “inevitable” that the strict limits now imposed on handgun ownership will face a court challenge from gun-rights supporters but that they felt confident the new ordinance would pass legal muster.
I'd love to know why Ms. Dixon feels Americans shouldn't be able to protect themselves...

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I'd love to know why Ms. Dixon feels Americans shouldn't be able to protect themselves...
Damn, I just came here to post that article.

My favorite part was this one:
The aldermen did not hold back their contempt for the five members of the U.S. Supreme Court who threw out the city’s gun ban Monday.

“No Supreme Court judge could live in my community and come to the same conclusion they did a couple days ago,” Ald. Sharon Denise Dixon (24th) said.

“I find it hard to believe that the Supreme Court justices that voted to strike our handgun laws have spent any time in the communities that many of us represent,” Ald. Toni Preckwinkle (4th) said.
You've had a handgun ban in place for 25 years, handgun crime is still out of control, and somehow the supreme court would have voted differently if they could just have seen the terrible results of your policies beforehand?

"How dare they sit in their ivory towers and vote against a handgun ban! They should come to my neighborhood and I'll show them proof that our totalitarian laws haven't done a goddamn thing!"

Talga Vasternich

Diabloii.Net Member

Think about smoking, nobody who is smart enough can be stupid enough to smoke.
Only stupid people smoke?

(pondering the incredible ignorance of that statement)

Right... sure...yeah... whatever makes you feel better
:coffee: