Suport skill for a Summoner?

LemurSpirit

Diabloii.Net Member
Suport skill for a Summoner?

HI, I'm back to D2 after a break of 2 years.
As I've never played a necro seriously I decided to give it a try now.

But I don't like the idea of relying on summons only. I'd like my necro to be able to do some damage on his own.

My question is: should I invest points in Bone Spear/Spirit or POison Nova/Explosion?

I'm lvl 42 so far with maxed raise skeletons and 15 skellie mastery (1 point in everything else +4 from gear - and I'm playing untwinked)

thanks in advance

bogie

Diabloii.Net Member
You could add points to bone and create a hybrid (which ARE still effective after the marrowalk bug) but it requires some pretty twinked gear, so id just go with corpse explosion after your merc has made the first kill.

HYKO

Diabloii.Net Member
You could add points to bone and create a hybrid (which ARE still effective after the marrowalk bug) but it requires some pretty twinked gear, so id just go with corpse explosion after your merc has made the first kill.
I thought the marrowalk bug is fixed?

Demonic Angel Rules

Diabloii.Net Member
Go with CE. Max it. Ive got 10+ skill points in it and its base lvl is 20, which means its lvl 30. The radius is HUGE and can kill things that are off screen. Trust me it makes it so easy to walk right through eniemes. Its not a waste of skill points to max this like some people say. Dont use bone spear or anything like that. when its not syenrgized its weak and will have a hard time killing in hell.

Kirah

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome back!

I added max Mages, but have not yet put points into CE. I find that with the +skillers, my CE radius is actually ok with my one point. Many will go Golem Mastery for that perfect Golem, I've not had problem with my Gumby so I didn't do that. Many (especially hardcore) will put a point into Bone Armor and then max the synergies for a beefy shield. I haven't done that either.

My recommendation is go with maxing your CE. Having that one corpse explode for huge damage is so much fun in Cow town and other areas of diablo 2 Lod that it seems a pity not to max it.

good luck and good hunting!
Kirah

LemurSpirit

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi, thanks for all replies.

CE seems to be the majority's choice. But It leaves me with another question: In the middle of a battle wouldn't it leave me without corpses to rebuild my army?

Sorry if I sound like a noob but it's my first necro and still developing the "right" playing strategy. :)

AnubisXy

Diabloii.Net Member
at max levels of skellies and skelly mastery, they're not gonna die often. You need to raise an occasional one here or there but that's about it. No worries on CE sucking your minion corpses, there's gonna be plenty, and if not, tp and go to cold plains or something if you're up against a tricky pack that wastes your army in like 3 seconds.

If you don't cow, I wouldn't recommend maxing CE. I know alot of people like it, but I find 1 pt to be enough with +skills on end game gear it's not been a problem for me.

I will recommend maxing dim vision. It's awesome for crowd control, and stops all ranged attacks dead in thier tracks. Pretty cool seeing everything just stand there waiting for your pets to shred them. Surprised on one has mentioned this one yet, it is incredibly useful and often overlooked.

Tempy

Diabloii.Net Member
at max levels of skellies and skelly mastery, they're not gonna die often. You need to raise an occasional one here or there but that's about it. No worries on CE sucking your minion corpses, there's gonna be plenty, and if not, tp and go to cold plains or something if you're up against a tricky pack that wastes your army in like 3 seconds.

If you don't cow, I wouldn't recommend maxing CE. I know alot of people like it, but I find 1 pt to be enough with +skills on end game gear it's not been a problem for me.

I will recommend maxing dim vision. It's awesome for crowd control, and stops all ranged attacks dead in thier tracks. Pretty cool seeing everything just stand there waiting for your pets to shred them. Surprised on one has mentioned this one yet, it is incredibly useful and often overlooked.
I felt the exact opposite.

With 1 point and +skill, my dim vision has plenty of range, and I use it quite a bit (dangerous ranged packs, especially gloams, and healing/reviving mobs such as act 1 shamans), whereas CE is at Slevel 20 atm (after skills) and I'm thinking of raising it more. As soon as the first corpses fall, CE kills the pack, but with enough range, I'd be able to use the remaining bodies from one dead pack to start CE'ing the next one (without having to wait for my minions to score a kill).

AnubisXy

Diabloii.Net Member
I felt the exact opposite.

With 1 point and +skill, my dim vision has plenty of range, and I use it quite a bit (dangerous ranged packs, especially gloams, and healing/reviving mobs such as act 1 shamans), whereas CE is at Slevel 20 atm (after skills) and I'm thinking of raising it more. As soon as the first corpses fall, CE kills the pack, but with enough range, I'd be able to use the remaining bodies from one dead pack to start CE'ing the next one (without having to wait for my minions to score a kill).
It's a toss up. I've done both, and found higher levels of Dim Vision to be more fun. Like I said, if you cow CE is deffinitely more useful, if not 1pt has been sufficient for me. 20second plus Dim Vision in Hell is awesome and for HC (which is all I play) it's a nice safety net.

Tempy

Diabloii.Net Member
It's a toss up. I've done both, and found higher levels of Dim Vision to be more fun. Like I said, if you cow CE is deffinitely more useful, if not 1pt has been sufficient for me. 20second plus Dim Vision in Hell is awesome and for HC (which is all I play) it's a nice safety net.
When dealing with dangerous mobs that have to be DV'd I just spam it a lot. Tho for HC I can see the increased radius being worth it, especially to hit off-screen gloams.

Zarniwoop

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm still tinkering with dim vision and CE.

I'm saving a few skill pts and running with about 18-20 (after + skills) dim vision and CE. It seems to be working out pretty well.

One of those two skills will get the rest of my few pts, but I'm not sure which yet. I had dim vision and CE maxed last time I had a fishy. Both are fun to have maxed, but I'm trying to decide if I need to have them. I am managing with dim vision where it is, just takes a few more casts of dim at the edges of the screen for gloams. Likewise, I used to kill stuff I almost could't see with maxed CE. I'm doing a bit more work killing without it maxed.

We'll see.

HYKO

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm still tinkering with dim vision and CE.

I'm saving a few skill pts and running with about 18-20 (after + skills) dim vision and CE. It seems to be working out pretty well.

One of those two skills will get the rest of my few pts, but I'm not sure which yet. I had dim vision and CE maxed last time I had a fishy. Both are fun to have maxed, but I'm trying to decide if I need to have them. I am managing with dim vision where it is, just takes a few more casts of dim at the edges of the screen for gloams. Likewise, I used to kill stuff I almost could't see with maxed CE. I'm doing a bit more work killing without it maxed.

We'll see.
For me I left it dim vision at lv 1 and let the gear do the rest, the range is somewhat like the whole screen. I would max CE over dim because it provides more killing power.