Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Superstition

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Idalia Snoweyes, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Idalia Snoweyes

Idalia Snoweyes IncGamers Member

Superstition

Today is Friday the 13th, a day that according to the folklore and superstition of some people, is said to be filled with ill luck and misfortune.

This has set me to thinking... the human mind is a powerful thing, I do not put it past our mind to be able to formulate it's own 'luck' out of the way we expect things to happen. Some people believe things to have such a bad influence on the way of the world, that when they are forced to interact with said thing, their mind causes them to make mistakes, have accidents, and so on, which propegates the behaviour of being superstitious, a cycle that feeds off of itself.

While I do not believe in 'bad luck' (Unless I am gambling, but that is a different story), taking a step back from the way I do things, pointed out that in a way, I guess I do have some superstitions of my own, most of them passed on from my family members.

1) Walking under an open ladder is bad luck - This, I attribute more to common sense than to it being a superstition. Walking under a ladder could end up with it falling, injuring you or the person standing on it.

2) Tossing Salt over the shoulder after Spilling it - This makes no sense, at least none that I could rationalize. My Mother did it, her grandmother did it, who learned it from her grandfather. Beyond that, I am not sure where my family picked up the habit - Though a quick search on google gives some illumination into it's origin, it is still an odd behaviour to carry into a modern time.

3) Knocking on Wood - It is a habit that my grandmother passed down through the family. She would knock on wood whenever someone said something bad concerning a person she cared about, mentioned death, or brought up a topic concerning the afterlife. From what I have read, this habit dates back to knocking on wood to chase away gremlins that brought misfortune... I do not believe in gremlins (I wanted a mogwai something fierce as a child, however), yet I still find myself knocking on wood once in a while.

...this leads me to believe, that without delving into a topic concerning the supernatural, spiritual, and otherworldly realms, that these superstitions tend to be more of a learned behaviour in people, than any actual belief in bad luck.

I would be interested in hearing about other Superstitions you and/or your family/friends practice.

2. Johnny

Johnny Banned

If you bellive in bad luck then you get bad luck.

These little rituals to cure the bad luck are just harmless rituals that rational people use to soothe thier irrational Superstitions.

3. Idalia Snoweyes

Idalia Snoweyes IncGamers Member

That is the same conclusion that I came to, but I also attribute 'bad luck' to sometimes just being the only possible result to a situation.

4. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I'm superstitious, generally speaking.

Umbrellas being opened indoors is bad for one thing.

5. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

There's no such thing as luck really, just times where you precieve things to go well or poorly for an extended period.

6. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

Yeah, it's a lot harder to get an open umbrella out a door than a closed one. Very bad indeed.

Also, I heard from someone a long time ago in OTF chat that the "knock on wood" thing was from Chinese. In old houses, the inhabitants sometimes believe that their ancestors' spirits resided in the house, and that touching wood, not knocking on it, was a call to them for luck or help. Alternatively, knocking wood was seen as a summon or demand of those same ancestors, and this would anger them.

Over the years, my memory may have changed the details a little, but that's how I remember it.

7. Star Dust

Star Dust IncGamers Member

I don't practice any, as far as I know. If I catch myself practicing one, I do my best to quit doing it.

8. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

Like when people say "bless you" after you sneeze. I hate that. I've switched over to the more logical spanish response: salud. It translates roughly to "I hope you have good health" instead of "I hope god kills the devil inside you."

9. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

I got a Government exam today. Sucks.

10. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

I had a rotten day. Unusual, usually nothing happens at Friday the 13th.

11. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

My day is no different than usual. Why the rotten day?

12. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

It's bad luck to be a Knight Templar and the King of France owes you a metric arseload of money on the date of Friday, October 13.

Thankfully I'm not going through the degrees to become a Templar until the 28th:king:

Maybe I'll change my account name to Sir Evilfreesmeg.:scratch:

13. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

I don't like the sound of that name - Sir Smegma sounds better to me. :thumbsup:

14. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

First thing in the morning I had a repair man over and the good guy did his best but couldn't fix the taps. He has to replace the whole thing, which he didn't have with him, so he'll be back Wednesday.
    Then at work it was so incredibly busy that I never left my desk for longer than 10 minutes (to fetch tea), no breaks at all, quickly eating my sandwiches in between while solving students' problems.
    Meanwhile at my very same desk, a printer was installed. Fair enough we were waiting for that. But ths one is the size of a fairly size garage can - HUGE, and taking up all our working space, and now we're being toxicated with that monster on our desk (you do get sick working only a few inches away from a printer)
    I won't mention my private life but I wish things were different there too.

*sigh*

15. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

sounds like something out of Blackadder

16. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Nah, back when I first joined up I posted as Sir_Smeghead. Combine my last three accounts and EvilFreeSmeg is perfect:thumbsup:

Plus that's my xanga page

17. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Which you never update.... :tongue:

18. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

alright already, I'll update it. Pics of my cat's butt would help keep the site sucking

19. Star Dust

Star Dust IncGamers Member

I say gesundheit if I say anything. It's another wish of good health.

20. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Wow... all that without even touching your private life, that DOES sound like a terrible day. That must be a heck of a problem with your taps, if he had to replace the entire thing... and busy days are never fun.

As far as that printer goes, I'd definately find a few studies done regarding working too close to them and present them to your boss. Maybe something would get done about them, then.