Super chest patterns - what are they for?

NamelessPenguin

Diabloii.Net Member
I've just begun running Lower Kurast, found a pretty good map, which takes me about 30 seconds, If I just go for the chests. I usually look for gems, charms, and jewels, so It on average takes longer.

But I can't find the use of the different patterns. Do I have to roll a map in where the chest drops a certain item, or else I have very slim chances of finding a high rune?

What are the patterns used for? I found a Gul today, but I didn't notice the items which dropped with it.

Does it have something to do with the weapon/armor racks?

I have absolutely no idea what the point is with these patterns. It seems to me, that the chests just drop a whole lot of random items.

Treeharl

Diabloii.Net Member
Ha good question here,

First of all superchests are not that random as you might think. There are only 65536 different drops of those (to put it the easy way). On lower kurast 11 of those 65536 drops contain a Sur rune and 3 of those a Ber rune meaning when you run superchests you have a 14/65536 chance opening Sur+ from each chest. With 6 chests that gives you 84/65536 chance each run to get a Sur or a Ber. This means you need to do an avarage of 780 runs to get Sur+. If you say you can do a run in 30 seconds you would get a Sur or a Ber in 6,5 hours on avarage.

It has nothing to do with amoracks what so ever and personally I don't think mapseed mathers much as everybody who plays 1.13 and 1.14 has the same patterns. Mapseed might change the likelyhood of hitting a pattern but that chancedifference is neglectable.

Timinator

Diabloii.Net Member
drops depend on /players settings. Don't assume /players 1 or unchanged you'll get them. Not all /players will drop all runes.

Either that or there may be some patterns not discovered yet.

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Only random things regarding superchests (or better called special chests) are:
- will stash be locked
- will all the items dropped be of rare quality

Drops are not random at all, they are predetermined. Or, they are random in a sense you don't know which pattern will you have luck to nail, but once you get a drop, you could see it is the same kind of drop (all items included!) as what someone else already got before you if you check LK patterns thread. Normally p7/8 is where real fun is with so many Sur and Ber patterns known to exist as Treeharl explained.

sanguillen

Diabloii.Net Member
Ha good question here,

First of all superchests are not that random as you might think. There are only 65536 different drops of those (to put it the easy way). On lower kurast 11 of those 65536 drops contain a Sur rune and 3 of those a Ber rune meaning when you run superchests you have a 14/65536 chance opening Sur+ from each chest. With 6 chests that gives you 84/65536 chance each run to get a Sur or a Ber. This means you need to do an avarage of 780 runs to get Sur+. If you say you can do a run in 30 seconds you would get a Sur or a Ber in 6,5 hours on avarage.

It has nothing to do with amoracks what so ever and personally I don't think mapseed mathers much as everybody who plays 1.13 and 1.14 has the same patterns. Mapseed might change the likelyhood of hitting a pattern but that chancedifference is neglectable.
6 chests implies a map with 2 campfires. I'm presuming the ideal map would be 2 campfires within a "block" of each other, but what do the seasoned vets here consider a "good" map with regard to 2 campfires and how close together they should be? For example, the map I have has one campfire immediately to the 10:00 of the waypoint but the second one is about three or so "blocks" 3:00 from the waypoint, so I rarely bother with that one as I have to retrace some steps to get there.

Burgomaster3

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd say a good map is something you can run in under 30 seconds. It's also best to have circular teleport route so you can always start from Act 4. Here is my map for example:

It's not perfect but it's close. Perfect would have the waypoint and the southern huts one "block" to the west. But this is good enough for me. I can run this in ~21 seconds, maybe less if I don't bother with any poppables.

I'm not entirely sure how long it takes to roll this sort of map, but it's really worth it, especially if you plan to farm LK for longer periods of time.

NamelessPenguin

Diabloii.Net Member
@Treeharl Thanks for those numbers. 1.13 rune drops sure improved from 1.09, which I last played. I remember only having a Ohm and Lo rune, after god knows how many hours of Pindle, AT and Meph runs.

@Gripphon Ok, I run players 8 at the moment. I am just one Sur short of Enigma :)

@Burgomaster3 That looks a lot like mine. Do you bother with going back to Act 4 every time? I just have Harmony on switch, and wear Treachery, which seems just like a bit less of an hassle. Haven't tried going to Act 4, though.

I still haven't got an answer to my question, though. What is the use of the patterns? Ok, patterns show Item X dropping with a Ber/Sur, so what? Do I look for the specific item, instead of picking up gold to show the runes?

And do you guys always clear all the clutter to see the runes?

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
The patterns allow us to count how many patterns there are, and therefore what the chance is per run or chest of getting a specific rune. But yes, you can also use it to identify the rune you want dropped. This isn't as useful given the large number of patterns and coloured runes in 1.13, but it's useful in older versions.

I only clear clutter if I think I have seen a rune or sometimes just as a by product of picking up goodies

Burgomaster3

Diabloii.Net Member
@NamelessPenguin Yeah I always return to Act 4. No hassle really, I run the map counter-clockwise, so after the last chest I only need one teleport to be able to access the waypoint with telekinesis. It's definitely faster than running through town in Act 3.

Also, why Treachery? Or did you mean Stealth?

Lynchgrinch

Diabloii.Net Member
I play on mac, so screenshots are really hard to grab, but I managed to roll a perfect map with 2 campfires right next to each other and the first chest 2 teles away from the WP.

Just going for chests/runes and returning to Act4 takes me ~22 seconds, assuming no beasties waiting for me in the huts.

Not sure how many runs i've done so far since rolling the map but i've found everything from Mal-Ohm and made HotO and CtA. I'm hoping that i'm not far from those tasty Bers...I really want CoH next...I've still got that pipe dream of making Infinity and Enigma. Still so far away though! Luck can change quick in LK...I had Ohm and Ist drop on the same run the other day...I'm hoping for a double Ber drop! I'd probably just skip CoH and make Infinity for style points!

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
@NamelessPenguin Don't start picking up things to clear the trash in case a rune is underneath it. Just press alt when popping the chests. You'll see an orange flash if a rune drops.

I rerolled maps too with my 99er Sorc, because I want to find a Sur or Ber before RFL round 3, so I can make Enigma. I rolled a map I haven't had before, where the two campfires are in a perfect line behind each other, as close to the waypoint and to each other as can be. I'll post a screenie later when I get home, but it's basically X - C - C, where X is the WP and C are the campfires. So I teleport southeast, hit the right hut of the first campfire, teleport southeast again to hit the right hut of the second campfire, and then I return doing the huts at the left. Takes me some 12 teleports or so, and is very, very easy to navigate, as I always have to teleport in a straight line. I really like it.

Did a very small sample yesterday. Only managed to average 30s, but that was with stashing, cubing up gems and rerolling charms included. Without those I was doing 24 - 25 second runs, which is good for my standards.

Edit: this is the map:

Screenshot128.jpg

Last edited:

sanguillen

Diabloii.Net Member
@Burgomaster3 and @T72on1 - that's great, thank you for sharing. Roughly how long dd it take each of you to roll these maps? When I get home this evening, I'll try and upload the new map I rolled last night. It's not quite at your levels, so I'm hoping to hear your thoughts regarding keeping it vs. rerolling again. Bear in mind that I'm not using teleport as I use a WW Barbarian for this (though his FRW isn't bad at all), so my speed per run would be slower to begin with. I don't play much (maybe 1-2 hours a night, 3-5 nights a week after my wife and son go to sleep) so I don't have many characters and am not rich by any means to start putting an Enigma on a character. Besides, my solemn oath to myself is to NEVER MAKE MYSELF AN ENIGMA....EVER. :D

Also, thanks for the explanation regarding Act 4. At first I was puzzled, until @Burgomaster3 clarified the bit about saving time in town in Act 3. Also, thanks @T72on1 for explaining the bit about holding alt when you open the chests. Some of those drops have a bunch of rubbish to sift through, and I get fearful that I've missed these high runes that I've heard about. So you will definitely at least see a flash of orange lettering before it inevitably disappears amongst the other stuff?

Treeharl

Diabloii.Net Member
Well @Burgomaster3 you mentioned in the ROF thread "about how hard it is to play the game regularly after modding". Sadly the case sanquillen suggests is very much true at this point and I know about atleast one Sur pattern which is notorious for missing. I do know about 2 gul patterns aswell. The orange flash is something that can happen but won't always show up. For me personally this is one of the "hard things" in diablo 2, technically it isn't hard its just an overflow issue the game can't and won't show you more than 30 items. For my datamining I used a different string pack (which is certainly not FAM at this point) and a drop filterer (which is even more certainly not FAM.

This issue could easely be fixed, but those fixes are not FAM at this point.

NamelessPenguin

Diabloii.Net Member
Looks good. The map I have now takes me around 30 sec to clear, with 25 sec being my best time and no looting, and 30 sec stopping to pick up stuff. For me, that's good enough, at the moment I don't want to go through the hassle for 3-4 sec improvements.

sanguillen

Diabloii.Net Member
I personally wouldn't have.
Looks good. The map I have now takes me around 30 sec to clear, with 25 sec being my best time and no looting, and 30 sec stopping to pick up stuff. For me, that's good enough, at the moment I don't want to go through the hassle for 3-4 sec improvements.
That's my map now, AFTER rerolling it (before they were on either side of the waypoint, but not as close to each other either). I feel like it takes my barb about 30-40 seconds to clear it (I just run the whole way on /p7 with about 70-80% FRW, and Howl away any non-unique monsters) and to @NamelessPenguin 's point, I too don't think it's worth trying to reroll again to save maybe 3 or 4 seconds per run.