Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sunday liquor sales

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freemason, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Sunday liquor sales

Idaho is now making it legal for bottled liquor to be sold on Sundays. Until last month it had been illegal since the 30's. There's been a lot of controversy over this. One group say's it's about time. Another say's it'll promote binge drinking. Another wants to ban booze entirely.

So what do you think? Will selling bottled liquor on Sundays lead to all hell breaking loose? Will it cause there to be wild women in the streets? Will people abandon their God-fearing ways and succumb to the Devil's brew? Children going to school drunk? Bill Murray yelling out "Dogs and cats, living together"!

2. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

I'm sorry smeg, but thats what you get for living in the same state as Boise St. :rant:

3. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

Sunday sales are illegal in both states I have to live in during the year, those being Connecticut and Pennsylvania. I personally think it's dumb, but I'm rather surprised that Idaho is thinking about putting that measure in NOW, since CT's blue laws at least have a religious background that's becoming less and less popular.

4. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

I don't drink, but I still think it is absolutely ridiculous that laws restrict when you can purchase booze.

5. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Not exactly, Croup. Some state Wine and Spirit stores are open on Sunday - get out of Carlisle :) - Besdies, you can always go to the Pub and pick up an outrageously priced six-pack.

What gives me the red *** about Pennsey is the fact that I have to buy my beer by the case at a special store. That is truly lame.

6. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

it always struck me as odd that they picked sunday...I hate to be the guy that points that out...but why would they pick sunday? that's a weekend...my weekends are precious. i propose we make some other normally legal activity, like say...selling stocks...illegal on tuesdays. I mean tuesdays are notoriously bad for stocks(or is that monday?) heck let's make them both illegal...then the stock market wouldn't tank anymore.

there are all kinds of stupid laws. I'm for mandatory 10 year limitations on all laws. then at the end of that ten year period they would have to be reapproved through legislators. this could be done in blocks but if there was some stupid law they could eaily just remove it from the reapplication bill. it would not take much more than an hour or so of each legislators time. besides they don't seem to do as much as i'd like for the amount we pay them anyway.

7. Night

Night IncGamers Member

Captian Obvious Reporting (since I'm not sure if you're being serious or not stevinator): Sunday = Day most Christians go to church.

8. MithrandirX

MithrandirX IncGamers Member

I like the fact that Sunday is a quiet day in my little town. Usually great for football or mowing the grass. Still, there have been a few times when it would have been nice to be able to go get a six-pack or three. I say repeal those blue laws; it won't make all that much difference.

9. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

So? I say ban church on S-unday because all the extra traffic on the road makes driving unsafe.

10. cleanupguy

cleanupguy IncGamers Member

I didn't even know that there were states that limit on what day you can buy liquor. :lol:

Now, all jokes aside, I don't think that allowing liquor sale on Sundays will make any difference in terms of how much people drink. In fact, I think that if the general public and the politicians are concerned about binge drinking, they should limit liquor sale on Fridays and Saturdays. The general population have more tendency to binge drink on Fridays and Saturdays than on Sundays.

I'm sure that these people already know this, and, as far as I can see, the only reason these people have limited liquor sale on Sunday is because Sunday is the day that people go to church.

Personally, I think this law is dumb and has no merit.

11. Gronk

Gronk IncGamers Member

Especially when the Seniors start heading for the buffet enmasse :lol:

I live next door to Freemason in Oregon, a couple of years ago the state made it legal to start selling booze on Sundays :drink:

The idea was add to the state tax coffers :scratch:

12. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

They just legalized Sunday sales here in Mass. Most of the opposition came from the mom & pop liquor store owners for whom Sunday was the only day off. A lot of them have opted to stay closed on Sunday regardless.

13. Akira

Akira Member

i think those intent on binge drinking will stock up ahead of time if the stores will be closed, preventing sales on a single day will do nothing.

14. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

What difference does it make? Here, bars and package stores are closed on Sundays. All that means is the drunks buy enough on Saturday to see them through until Monday. If nothing else, at least there isn't a bunch of tavern traffic going on; small improvement, though, since the lushes drink up and then take their Sunday drives with the family.

15. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

I think Sunday no-liquor-sales laws are kinda pointless. When I lived in a state like that (Kentucky) we just stocked up on Saturday instead. Not having the law wouldn't promote binge drinking any more than alcohol existing promotes binge drinking. I think it'd be interesting to see sales stats from those states, I bet Saturday liquor sales double or triple the sales of any other day of the week in those places.