Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Summons and ??

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ChockBonge, Nov 14, 2006.

1. ChockBonge

ChockBonge IncGamers Member

Summons and ??

Hello Everbody!
    I've been playing on and off since a few months before LoD, not for a year or so now though.
    Played just about every class to lvl 90+, except for necro, every time i've started playing again i have created a necro, played for a while and realised i hated it. My highest necro have been 35'ish and that was some homemade build with poison skills and only equipment he found himself.

Anyway, im back playing again, and ive made another necro.
    I'm not quite sure what kind yet, I'm going to max raise skeleton and skeleton mastery so i guess it's some kind of summoner :azn:

I'm working on the skellies, i think i have about 10 raise skeleton and 10 mastery with +2 all skills and +1 summon and this far i've put 1 point in clay golem, 1 in golem mastery and 1 in summon resist.

In curses i have 1 point each in amp, weaken, terror and decrepify so they are at slvl 3 with + skills.

in posion n' bones i have 1 in teeth a 1 in CE.

But then what?

I am lvl 25 now and i've had no problems whatsoever up to river of flame wp, where im currently taking a break to get me some RL food :smiley:

I dont know where to put my skill points now, i want to be able to kill bosses in the future, decrep, merc, clay golem and 5 skellies have killed everything so far without even losing 1 skeleton. but i cant imagine everything being that easy in NM and Hell.
    how far do you get, going this route im on?
    can i kill bosses this way later on or do i have to get bone spear/spirit up to deal with those. that is something i dont really want to do, seeing as they need like a million skillpoints to deal more damage than a lvl 3 sorc using a cracked shortbow.

anyway, this is getting way to long now, i hope someone read this far and understand what kind of necro im going for and can give me some advice on where to go from here?

Thank you and Good Bye.

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew and feel free to raise some corpses.

Skellies are enough for finishing the game. Read Nightfish's guide for some good info on them. You can go hybrid, but the options there are pretty limited to just Skellie-Poison and some Golem variants.

3. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

Sink the next 10 points into raise skeleton. You're already behind. Get skeletons and then skeleton mastery to 20. Then max CE.

Then choose a crowd control skill ( prefer dim vision) and at least put several points in it - more if you don't have LOTS of +all skills.

4. kungfumonkey

kungfumonkey IncGamers Member

I would highly recommend maxing Corpse Explosion. It will clear an area so quickly. It is pretty cool when you detonate one corpse and monsters you are not able to see all drop at the same time.

My summoning necro is great. I can solo any area of the game, and my only difficulty is staying alive. I never have to worry about my summons and my merc. The fun comes from trying to keep your army between you and your enemy.

I do not use any curses except for Amp Damage, just to go hand in hand with my might merc from A2. My skellies seem to kills things fast enough. Dim vision does come in hand though when dealing we ranged attackers that have piercing attacks

5. garion

garion IncGamers Member

i guess the bare bones...nec-summoner..that is successful in hell would be...

20 raise skeles
    20 skele mastery
    1-20 mages
    1 revives
    1 clay golem
    1 summon res
    1 golem mastery
    1-20 CE
    1 amp

that should be plenty to get you by....i hope you have as much fun as i have playing the nec...it might help to get an enigma too..that really makes the nec much more fun!

6. ChockBonge

Thanks guys.
    I was abit worried that act bosses in hell would eat my poor skellies in a second or two, leaving alone with no way to revenge my poor minions.

about being a little behind on the skellies its because i just put the first few lvl's points there and they killed everything without problems until the middle of act 2 when i felt they were abit weak so i gave e'm a few more points. and since then they have been killing fast enough and living long enough for me to get by, im in no hurry :cool:
    also i wasnt sure wether i need to save up points for boneskills.
    but now that im entering chaos sanctuary im putting in my spare points,
    i've never dealt with iron maiden having a bunch of skellies to worry about.

i was thinking about maxing CE to, and i think thats the way im going to do it now.

Dim vision, i dont get that skill really, what happens when i use it? the monsters just stand around doing nothing cause they cant see me or what?

and how about the rest of the summoning skills?
    golems, golem mastery, summon resist... should i raise them more, get the other golems besides clay? or will the + skills be enough? + 7 or so shouldnt be to hard to get i guess without spending everything i own.

i know most of these questions are common, and the answers can be found i severl guides, but its always nice to get more opinions :smiley:

thanks again.

edit:
    wow, i take my time writing. garion replied while i was writing this and his post came up half an hour before mine :azn: anyway that answered some of my questions, thank you :smiley:

7. kungfumonkey

kungfumonkey IncGamers Member

IMO the clay golem is the best. He does not do alot of damage but he attracts monster, which is what you want. He has the highest amount of health, and he also has slow when he hits a target. Which is great against bosses.

Cast Decrepify on a boss and let you Clay Golem hit him once, and the boss only gets off about 4 casts before your skellies hack him to pieces.

Then if you get the ability to teleport you will be able to teleport on top of anybody you do not like with your moshpit of skellies and summons.

8. ChockBonge

yea, i like that slowness he brings :azn:
    but how much to spend on him, 1 point? max?

i was playing around with d2items skillplanner abit and...
    if i max raise skeleton, skelton mastery and CE, and bunch of 1 point curses it looks like theres gonna be a few points left to play around with.
    more mages? max golem? bone armor things?

mages would add more dmg, so killing would be faster meaning the golem wouldnt have to be high lvl to survive?
    how much dmg would mages add, worth 20 points? since i will have maxed mastery anyway i'd guess the mages wouldn't completly suck?
    or would it be better to get a big fat golem that could live abit longer?

teleporting might come, when i get something better then pgems to trade with. dont like like them charged items much, so if you see me teleporting around with a necro you know i got me an enigma.

9. DaemonAkuma

DaemonAkuma IncGamers Member

Clay is pretty much the #1 choice IMO, although some summoners opt to go with Iron Golem on an Aura-causing item. ONE pt into Gumby(Clay G). 1 Pt is all you need, I can promise you that. My Clay has 18K life when I summon him with +skills added (and I did put 10pts into Gmastery). CE is awesome. Enough said.
    I maxed skellies and mages, mostly for the poison+cold, and their damage does accumulate rather quickly (and the lightning ones benefit from my Merc's Infinity eth thresher). Also, they simply add more to the army = more targets that damage is dispersed against. Some people only do 1 pt though, so there is plenty of room for tweaking. I only put 1 pt into B.Shield myself. It helps enough. I find that I am pretty safe.

I do have to respectfully disagree, however, with Zarniwoop. NEVER put more'n 1 pt into any curse. Excessive and unnecessary, not to mention a waste of a sp you could throw into CE. I never even use Dim Vision anymore (although I did learn it). It's really only useful on Souls/Gloams those things, but now I just tele there and duck behind an obstruction (and have good enough res to be safe anyway). I always use Amp on monsters and use decrep on D and Baal (Meph isn't enough of a pain to deserve decrep). Anyhow hope that helps somehow. :)

10. Zarban

Zarban IncGamers Member

If you summan an iron golem from an aura causing item the iron golem projects this aura? sorry if its a dumb question :)

11. DaemonAkuma

DaemonAkuma IncGamers Member

Yupper, I do believe so. Unless something odd has happened and the knowledge I possess is outdated. I'm about 99% sure though...that 1% of doubt just came from your question lol.

12. Zarban

Zarban IncGamers Member

Yeah your right.

13. garion

garion IncGamers Member

oh i forgot...if you're planning on playing untwinked..it might be worth it to initially invest in an act 1 merc with an "edge" RW bow..this will provide you with a nice thorns aura along coupled along with amp..this can help great with the act bosses ('cept baal) and any other melee baddies you come in contact with!

as for golems...1 pt into clay golem and golem amstery is the best 2 pts you can spend on golems =P....and it cheap to recast ....hck you can just recast him to reposition him to where you might need to plug some holes ...or slow and enemy...etc....also works great on bosses along with decrep...slows them down to the max....(your + skill items will enhance him enough...)

also if you're not going to max all the synergies for the bone skill you might want to be wary about investing any points into them....i would suggest doing a pure summner first (the bare bones version..before you start ploping pts into other skill)...im only mentioning this because my bone/summoner from last season was greatly nerfed when they balanced out the marrows bug...and his bone skills were almost non-effective in hell...1-2 k...isn't much in hell...=/....and its not great as a crowd control skill....you're better off going all out as a boner or summoner for now...(since this is your first High lvl nec you plan to build =P)

have fun!

14. garion

garion IncGamers Member

yeah..but you lose the item if he dies...

15. Zarban

Zarban IncGamers Member

yeah... ive summaned an iron golem before.

16. HYKO

HYKO IncGamers Member

I guess in the later stage you can drop some points into golem mastery.
    My rusty now has about 6 k life, if I have my army full and running. He simply won't die
    Trust me you will love infinite mana when you are mfing. :rolleyes:
    Soon you will see you are ditching gumpy for rusty

17. ChockBonge

Diablo, well, atleast he put up a fight. Killed him at lvl 26 and he killed all my skellies and i had to recast golem once. other then that nothing in normal difficulty posed any threat to my survival and progression in 1 player games up to the worldstone keep and baals minions.
    after a few baalruns i just had to go back and visit diablo again at lvl 35 and by then he didnt have much to say :azn:

now i am at lvl 40 and still enjoying it, so this is my highest lvl necro ever :smiley:

as for a merc i was thinking more of using a act2 merc from nightmare for added dmg and also give him an insight polearm for my own personal mana pleasure :cool:

and twinking my char, not much i guess. the day before i started playing him my sorc kept getting crappy necro drops, wormskull, Carin Shard and some other unique wand Maelstrom i think it was.
    also he has a spirit shroud on now, mostly for the cannot be frozen mod that i can not live without.
    a blue amu with +1 summons and some resist.
    a manald heal and a 30% nagelring cause i had them lying around.
    gloves, belt and boots is sigon's right now dont know why really, changing them out as soon as i find something better.

Using a sigon's shield now, for the skill. should i put points in dex to get block or leave it at base? it would take quite abit of points to get usefull blocking i suppose? but then again, putting points in vitality is hardly worth it with the small increase in life, better to get life from items and charms?

this is what my skills look like now
    http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/4144/skillslvl40cc0.jpg
    going for max mastery now and then maxing CE.
    a few 1 pointers left in the cuses to, seems like most of them are worth 1 point.

18. Kirah

Kirah IncGamers Member

19. garion

garion IncGamers Member

or if you want him for just the aura...you can put him in a normal weapon....not some massive dmg dealing weapon...since IM is like insta-death for massive dmg weapons....

20. garion

garion IncGamers Member

im with kirah...act 2 mercs are awesome...for both the dmg dealing abilities and the aura...however i prefer the act 1 bramble/faith combo....you get the thorns aura that benefits all your skeles when casting amp...vs melee opponenets...and then the additional fanata aura augments your army further....the added bonus is that the act 1 merc stays out of the way of trouble..and seldom ever dies (im thinking of chaos)....the main drawback with using an act 1 merc is that it takes 1-3 mins to kill baal...but the rest of the act bosses are a cinch =)