Summons and using a wand on the switch

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
Summons and using a wand on the switch

I tried to search for this through out the forum, but my luck proved unsuccessful. I read a lot of posts about pre-buffing with skellies and mages, but little on golems.

My Bone nec is doing fine in a3 right now, lvl 24, and I just found a 2 clay golem wand off a flayer. Nothing special, but it aroused my interest.

How exactly does casting summons on the switch work with golems? I read that doing it with skellies causes you to lose some of your skellies, but that bonuses, such as life, dmg, etc, stay the same on your remaining skellies as though they were the bonuses from the +skills on the switch. Will this work with golems, but without the adverse affect?

I'm using clay golem for my bone nec, probably the only golem I use seeing as how he gets the best feedback, and I was just wondering about how all this works so I can possibly make my golem any stronger.

Any suggestions?

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
the general rule for prebuffing minions is, they stay at the lvl you summoned them but any extra minions (more for skeles and wolfs) disapear after switching to lower skill set up.

for example say you have a necro with a wand of +3 skeles and +2 clay golem
and that would grant the necro acess to an extra skele. so say he summons his 3 skeles and his golem with his prebuff wand. now when he switches wand from his prebuff to his normal his extra skele will disapear but the others WILL remain at there summoned lvl as will the golem.

hmm hope that makes sence

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
Cool. So if I have a lvl 1 clay golem, then I use a prebuff +2 clay golem wand, then switch back to my main wand, he will still carry over the added bonuses?

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
By the way, quick question, sort of in relation to the thread. Is clay golem really the best golem for a bone necro? I was told this and I plan on using it the whole way through, I was just wondering what everyone else's opinion on it was.

Milb

Diabloii.Net Member
Clay is the best for this build. The other ones are pretty useless with low point investments.

Delreich

Diabloii.Net Member
Fire Golem might be useful as well, for soaking up enemy attention. no more than one point in it though.

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
Fire golem could be possible I guess, but I'll probably be sticking with clay though. But yea, on a side note, Cassious is doing pretty good. I'm entering CS right now and I'm lvl 28 so far. I know you said DV was a good option milb, but I have to say I have absolutely fallen in love with Confuse. I mean I just can't stop laughing when a pack of monsters runs at me, then immediately attack each other...priceless, and of course decrep for all the bosses and such.

smilts

Diabloii.Net Member
Id would stick with clay for a bone nec Ive done some playing with golems lately and as far as I can see what Milb said is to true. The slows affect is great for bone necs. Plus its all mushy and gumby like whats better than that?

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
Cool. Oh and btw, this is all untwinked, hc, etc, but is 1 point in clay, summon res, and golem mastery fine? I just thought 1 point in each would be ok seeing how I need to dump as much as possible into my pnb skills.

Milb

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, 1 in each is fine, however, it won't survive long and you will have to recast it a lot. My Golem dies fairly regularly and I have +7 or 8 skills I think.

Seeing as you are untwinked you may have to spend more than one point in some curses (mainly thinking DV here) as the radius won't be great and you'll want a large area blinded if you are walking into Gloam territory.

grossesexy

Diabloii.Net Member
I like to use fire golem for questing because it keeps the enemy attention off of my necro, and then use clay of course for bosses.

Fluffballer

Diabloii.Net Member
Just re-tossing out the suggestion to save 20ish skill points by using your bonewalls and a fire golem instead of getting a decent level curse and clay golem. It'll make a pretty big difference in your damage and you'll ultimately be safer in my opinion. FGs are much more survivable for untwinked, for both the golem and the necro. A wand with FG on switch saves you even more points.

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm a little confused by what you're trying to say. Are you saying 20 into FG? I hope not lol. I still don't see how he would increase my damage as the only damage he would provide would be his own and his aura. You see, I'm not looking for a golem to help kill, I am simply looking for a nice dumb meatshield to stand in front of monsters in order to give me more time for curses and spamming the mess out of bone spear and safety is usually not an issue as he provides excellent defense and I rarely have any monsters try to attack me what so ever.

Fluffballer

Diabloii.Net Member
No not 20 in FG. The build plan I was suggesting increases your damage because you don't need to waste skill points getting DV up to a usuable level in hell (you need to put a lot of points in it or it completely sucks). Also, the CG is extremely fragile for untwinked necros, the FG is a bit studier and does a LOT better job of attracting enemy monsters. Thus the lack of need for DV.

So instead of a level 15ish DV and a level 8ish CG or golem mastery, you only need one point in FG (which you could get from a wand and head on switch even) and then use your bonewalls when you need crowd control from non-gloams. That's a ton of skillpoints you can use to synergize bone spear/spirit.

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
summons from wands on switch disapear shortly after when you switch back to your other wepon set

Fluffballer

Diabloii.Net Member
Er, ya I didn't say that right did I. One point in the FG and then some FG/golem mastery on switch. Saves you big time synergy points.

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
Again, I do see the logistics in FG and some of it's advantages, but when you stack it up against CG, well I guess what I'm saying is that I'm having trouble thinking things through still lol.

Golem Damage:Neither are heavy in this and really will have no impact on my decison imo.

Attracting monsters: Again, I don't exactly see how one golem can attract more monsters than a different one.

Advantages: FG has better life and would last longer, but CG has slowing effects which are extremely essential.

Disadvantages: Fire dmg is pretty much pointless in hell and CG wouldn't last as long.

Be assured, I haven't thought exactly what I'm going to do, skill allocation wise, but I will need to decide soon as my nec's getting pretty deep into the game now.

NacRuno

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Attracting monsters: Again, I don't exactly see how one golem can attract more monsters than a different one.
i personally prefer clay over fire, the main reason is that you can summon clay at any time due to its low mana cost, on the other hand fire golem takes a big chunk of your mana to be summoned. and i like to spam corpse explosion mana is always welcome.

but for the attaction thing; fire golem has 'holy fire' = damage monsters within a radious every few seconds = golem does a ranged attack to the monsters within the radious = attacked monsters attack golem = monsters are attracted to the golem :prop: i know i waffled a bit but you get the point...