Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Summonmancer-max clay golem or not?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by MasterMegatron, Jun 1, 2005.

1. MasterMegatron

MasterMegatron IncGamers Member

Summonmancer-max clay golem or not?

i need help whether to max clay golem or put points into bone spirit

20 skeleton
    20 skeleton mastery
    20 corpse explosion
    20 bone spirit - to get the first corpse
    1 clay golem

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Maxing Clay can be done, but more often than not 1 point with +skills will be enough. If you are poor, or going untwinked, than putting in about 5 points isn't a bad idea. With Clay you need to get him to about level 8 including +skills to make him a good tank. Maxing him will hive him a sick amount of hitpoints, but the question is do you really need that amount. Clay is cheap and easy to recast.

With 60 points + prereqs already spent, your Spirit will not be very damaging. You’re looking at about 1k damage, not including +skills. That is a bit on the low side. If you want to build a Bone/Summon hybrid, take a look at the guides in the [ Essential Necromancer Information ] sticky.

3. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Thing is, I have +11 in the summon tree (+13 with wand, but I don't usually switch weapons for clay, just for skellies), and the golem hardly ever *dies*. I recast him frequently to put him where he's needed, and he's taking a lot of punching (after all, I put him right in the middle of the most dangerous packs, and generally try to get HIM hit by as many monsters/spells as possible --- everything that hits him doesn't hit me, my skellies or my merc).

So in general, I'd say putting more than one point into the golem skills, summon resist and golem mastery is a waste.

I'd say it takes an extra strong extra fast spectral hit aura enchanted cursed Lister pack to kill him... which isn't too bad for just one hardpoint.

4. MasterMegatron

MasterMegatron IncGamers Member

Hrm will it be better if i put 1 in corpse ex and use those points to max another bone synergy?

20 skele
    20 skele mastery
    1 corpse ex
    20 bone spear
    20 bone spirit
    20 teath
    1 clay golem
    1 golem mastery
    1 summon resist

and of course the famouse 33 point marrowalk synergy. 104 points reacheable at lvl 94.

5. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Don't forget that Decrep and Amp can come in handy. You may want to put a point or so in one of the AI curses. With the set-up you specified you'll be doing decent damage.

6. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hehe thats almost what i did with my mf bone/summon necro this ladder season :p Teeth is good for maxing as its a synergy to spirit/spear but i went for bonewall as it synergises bone armor as well :D If you are interested in dmg numbers/gesr/tactics i have a rough guide too :
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=338630
    I would say 1 point in revive is good too and it all depends on how much +skills and what fcr b.p you going for. Cheers!

7. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

It's best to plan a build at 100 points. Around level **, lvling up takes a really long time.

Amp damage is absolutely essential and I would probably take decrepify too. If you're moving towards a bone/summon hybrid, I would check out the guide. You won't have room for more points in Gumby and Revives if you are going full bone/summon unless you skimp on skeleton mastery a bit.

In any case, I would advise leaving gumby at 1/1 until later when you have some decent gear before deciding to put more points into him.

Something to keep in mind before going with a hybrid though. Mercs do just fine at garnering that first kill with the right equipment. If I were to go bone/summon I would stick with 1 SM/20RS, keep the bone synergies full using marrows, and play the build as a bonemancer that happens to have an excellent meatshield. The problem with bone spirit is that you can't always pick which enemy it's going to hit.

Personally, I prefer a bonemancer that uses confuse and bonewall to keep enemies at bay. And then I'll put 1 point into revives for situations where having some extra meat handy seems like a good idea.